Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 2nd Oct 17, 6:18 AM
    • 2,840Posts
    • 38,361Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Monday 2 October 2017
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:18 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 2 October 2017 2nd Oct 17 at 6:18 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 2 October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Still dark here, but sounds still quite blustery, was blustery all day yesterday, rained quite a while in the morning then cleared and dried up quite nicely, we'll see what today brings.

Lunch became dinner yesterday as we had planned that DH and myself would go to the meeting then divert round to call in on DH's grandad and either before or after visiting him we'd get something to eat depending on the time, but our best laid plans didn't happen as it was so late by the time we got out of the meeting, it was too late to find somewhere, so we decided to come straight home and then order a chinese takeaway as soon as they open - we were both really hungry, it was lovely and in real terms cheaper than a meal out even in the cheaper places to eat, as the drinks prices soon push the bill price up. Boys ate with us, so we all ate for less than we would have paid in a pub/restaurant.

Dinner tonight will be fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg - easy dinner after long day at work.

We had a nice day yesterday met up with some friends and had a catch up at the meeting, but we're not going to be involved - so not likely to see them very much. Back to work this morning, we'll see what sort of day we get.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 02-10-2017 at 6:43 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 2nd Oct 17, 6:36 AM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 13,556 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:36 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:36 AM
    Good morning and thank you for starting the thread nmlc.

Still dark here but not raining. I need to have some breakfast, have a quick shower and get ready for work.

I feel human after a decent sleep last night. I spent most of yesterday in a fog of tiredness, and as I have quite a heavy week coming up, am thankful that last night was better.

I had my flu jab on Saturday, visited a friend, did the Saturday version of the Friday tidy as I had to work on Friday. Yesterday I did washing, still lots to do, failed to do any ironing and made Sunday dinner, of which I ate very little. I did eat the veg though. We had roast pork, which I don't much like, roasties, cabbage and carrots, and I made stuffing and apple sauce. OH and DS ate theirs and a lit if mine. OH washed up, that was probably the best bit.

Oh yes, I also had a hot bubble bath for indulgence, that was lovely, though the real reason for having it was to be in the steam, my sinuses are always a bit dodgy but are rather painful at present. Still, people cope with far, far worse than sinus pain.

I must get organised and go and earn a living. Hope everyone has as good a day as possible.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 2nd Oct 17, 6:42 AM
    • 3,509 Posts
    • 40,573 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:42 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:42 AM
    Morning All

Blowing a gale outside with sideways rain, just the thing for a Monday morning!

Feeling a bit better but still not right, may see if I can get a Drs appt but that's very unlikely. Still, work will keep my mind off things.

Had a lovely steak pie dinner at friends last night with some good chat.

Hope you all had a good weekend and have a good Monday, take care. XX
    • redruby
    • By redruby 2nd Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    • 6,453 Posts
    • 89,226 Thanks
    redruby
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    Morning all

Bit gloomy out of the window and rain due for later. we had a really lazy day yesterday after the kitchen arrived, we spent an hour sorting it out and OH put it in order that he needs to fit it, I then hovered right through while dd washed up and cleared the kitchen, we unpacked the dish washer and got that plumed in straight away, I cant tell you joy of having one again having been without one for month on end !

In the afternoon we lit the fire and lazed around watching a film and had a quick easy dinner, it was much needed. Back to work today and the start of another week.

Dinner tonight will be fajitas so nice and easy, and I need to do a towel wash.

Right I had better get on have good days all xx
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 2nd Oct 17, 7:19 AM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 8,292 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:19 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:19 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for the thread nmlc.

Csarina It’s good that your OH is a bit better. I hope all goes well with the shed today.
    dp1 well done on the job.

Hopefully the weather will be a bit better today than it was yesterday. It seemed to rain for most of the day. The forecast is for a dry day today, I do hope they are right, I’ve got a load in the wm, and want to strip my bed as soon as that is finished. It would be good to get it dry or at least nearly dry on the line rather than on an airer in the house.

Dinner tonight will be some cod, mashed potato and steamed veg with a parsley sauce. I managed to get quite a lot of y/s veg yesterday.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 2nd Oct 17, 7:34 AM
    • 5,831 Posts
    • 34,262 Thanks
    Gers
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:34 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:34 AM
    Good morning all.

The house has been battered by storm winds and rain all night and itís still raging.

Today Iím off up to Oban for a difficult meeting with my problem staff member. Iíll leave early so that I can take my time on the drive, the road is very up down and winds round high ground with lots of hair pin bends. I donít want to put off the meeting.

My cleaner will be coming today so Iíll come home to sparkling floors and dust free surfaces. I only really notice the floors!

Happy Monday to everyone.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 2nd Oct 17, 8:25 AM
    • 12,062 Posts
    • 34,311 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:25 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:25 AM
    Good morning

Sad news from Las Vegas this morning Hope nobody has friends and family out there. Its a sad world we live in

Boiler service today so hoping it all works sweetly. Haven't had it on yet but the bathroom was chilly this morning so may get it on timer for an hour or so for wake up. Mums finally sorted I think, keeping everything crossed that it stays that way.

Had a real comfy tea last night of yorkshire pudding filled with cheese and beans Had some leek and potato soup too so not entirely unhealthy.

Have a lovely day everyone

ETA. Just had the dreaded phone call from mum no heating came on today .....stupid me I should have known !!!!
    Last edited by Nelski; 02-10-2017 at 9:22 AM. Reason: update.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 2nd Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,604 Posts
    • 18,917 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    Morning everyone,

Dry but blustery here, the wind was shaking the roof tiles all night so didn't sleep very well, didn't help that little dog twice crept upstairs after we had gone up. It usually means either she, or her elderly sister wants to go out but despite going down to them twice no-one ventured outside. In the end I put the baby gate across to keep her down there but lay awake listening
    Need to pop out this morning for a few bits including stamps, have a couple of family birthdays coming up.
    Supper will be fish cakes with roasted veg so easy peasy.

Have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 2nd Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,270 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    Morning all,

Dark, cold and wet morning. I left my window ajar last night and I was woken twice during the night with the wind howling.

Back into the swing of things and been to the gym this morning. Football tonight. I've got an avocado which needs using so I'll have it in a chicken wrap.

Baked a cottage loaf yesterday to give to my mum. Something didn't go right. It was so tough and hard to knead. The result was a very condensed bread, plus too much salt. Lessons learned.

I depart for a little holiday in 3 weeks time, so I'm going to be super strict with my fitness and eating so when I splurge I don't feel so bad haha.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 2nd Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 15,656 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

A day of contemplation, Nicholas would have been 47 today.

Waiting to hear what time they are coming to put up the shed. We seems to have escaped the really high winds, there are a couple of things blown over in the garden, but the shed is still lying on the grass phew!!

Sheets etc in the washer, I am hoping to get them dry we are forecast rain later. Will just remake the bed and clean in the bedroom the wet room can wait till tomorrow, had a foul nights sleep, OH was fidgeting, it was well after 3 before I got off to sleep, so feel rotten this morning.

No idea whats for supper, something with salad I think.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 2nd Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 15,180 Posts
    • 62,038 Thanks
    Judi
    A day of contemplation, Nicholas would have been 47 today.
    ((((hugs)))) Just because they are not here, it doesnt stop us remembering, does it?

Well ive given up on today already.

My onwards and forwards is sadly lacking,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • elona
    • By elona 2nd Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 59,421 Thanks
    elona
    csarina

Hugs and hope you sleep better tonight.

Have just had someone round to put the legs and castors on the trundle bed and put up some shelves in the integral garage. I will try to tidy up in there and get rid of cardboard boxes etc. over the next few days.

Washing is on the line outside and a few things have already blown off . New paint is ordered and arrives tomorrow for the upstairs bathroom and I have found someone who will paint it for me

I was all set to get my flu jab this Saturday but dds are taking me out for the day so might go to Asda instead and get it done there even if I do have to pay.

Just about to make some home made chicken soup for tonight and start to put out the recycling boxes etc.

Hug to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 15,397 Posts
    • 125,432 Thanks
    JackieO
    Weather has been surprisingly warm today and although its clouding up a bit now it was 23c at lunchtime. I had to go to the big shopping centre to buy some dollars for my DGS birthday present as he and his wife are off to St Lucia after Christmas,as they live in New York

My DD is going out there for a week to visit on the 20th of this month and will be taking all their Christmas presents and cards out with her plus his birthday present

His other grandma and I decided its easier to give him dollars for his birthday so he can buy something when he is on holiday

I have workd out in Nov-December altogether I have 8 birthdays and two anniversaries to get cards for thats before Christmas cards !!!I spent £9.00 in the Card Factory this morning buying birthday cards

No doubt the postage will be an arm and a leg as well Last year I guess it came to around £25 but I do have quite a few overseas relatives to send to.

I took DGD Holly to Sittingbourne Hospital this morning for her check up and although her foot hasn't fully healed tha Doctor said she can at least drive with it now but she has to go back in four weeks to make sure its OK.

Hope everyone is OK and not getting blown around with the gales in the north.

Every time I hear of a shooting in the U.S. I worry as DGS Danny lives in Manhattan. Those poor folk in Las Vegas and their families What on earth is the matter with people to be so dreadful to their fellow man.

Hope everyone is safe and well

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 2nd Oct 17, 3:50 PM
    • 9,791 Posts
    • 105,358 Thanks
    LameWolf
    JackieO which foot is it your DD has had done? If it's her left foot and she drives an automatic, it shouldn't be a problem. That's two "ifs" that have to work out, though.

Very interesting walkies with the girls this morning - all the way across the field and up as far as the petanque piste, we could hear a small dog constantly yapping. On reaching the corner, we met a chap with a bicycle, standing there, dog lead in hand, doing nowt, but looking pretty exasperated - it transpired the yapping was his Westie which had got a cat treed, was refusing all requests to return to his master, and was far enough into the undergrowth/hedge to make going in and grabbing him an impossibility.

We uttered our sympathy and continued with our walk, all the way down to the Roman Villa, back up, detoured across the little car park at the top of the park to use the poo-bin, and back down to that same corner to go home. The chap, and the yapping dog, were still there. As was the cat, in the tree. Luckily, this time, the presence of Milly & Mia, plus the fact that the dog was getting hot, tired and thirsty, persuaded Freddie (we discovered his name was) to come out, whereupon he was nabbed by the collar.

Poor chap must've been so embarrassed - but there, that's Westies for you; I've seen one attempt to climb a tree going after a squirrel before now!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 2nd Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    Sorry I have been missing for a while but have been struggling physically and mentally .
    Anyway hopefully I'm back, but still coughing and sneezing.
    Had DGD today too as she has also got "the cough" and Mr Fix It is feeling the after effects of his oncology injection and the flu jab from last week. ( Wish they would do it on different days as the first one is bad enough )
    Have tried to read along but can't remember much except Nelski and her mums ongoing heating debacle. It strikes a chord as dads went too, but he keeps fiddling with the buttons and then moaning because it won't come on )
    Been having a bit of a time with elderly neighbour too. She kept ringing us last week, upset and hysterical, saying there was a woman moving into her pantry at night. (Didn't matter that you can't swing a cat in there, there's only just about room to turn around ! ) Long story short, she called the police and her family finally came to help her. I feel so sorry for her but I don't think she should be living on her own anymore and it was making my nerves bad too. It got to the point when I made Mr Fix It answer her calls, as he's much more patient and calm than I am.
    Today I have managed to wash two loads and line dry them and tea tonight will be leftover chicken from yesterday, with chips and a curry sauce. I love an easy tea .
    Anyway I hope everyone enjoys the rest of Monday and hugs all round.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 2nd Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 5,831 Posts
    • 34,262 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon - I survived the foray into the storm!

It's much worse here than further inland. The wind is coming straight off the sea and still battering the house. My rose flowers have been blown off and the clematis is dangling limply as it's been ripped off the wires.

My trip up to Oban was fine, just one small stretch of rain, the rest was in bright sunshine. The meeting went better than expected and I'm more hopeful that things will turn out OK than I was yesterday.

I've been sending out documents like a mad thing. Need to stop as I'm getting rather confused! I'll leave prepping for the 'new' course until tomorrow or Wednesday.

Nelski- hope that your DM has heating soon! Must be a nightmare all round.

csarina - my thoughts are with you and your family, Nicholas will always be in your heart.

Happy evening.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 2nd Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 12,062 Posts
    • 34,311 Thanks
    Nelski
    nannywindow welcome back we missed you sorry you are not 100% right now lots of people seem to be struck down with the lurgy atm. You were spot on about the possibility of mum button pressing but more likely she is not pressing something that will actually turn it on anyway whatever its all my fault of course and I become less and less motivated to help anyway someone else going round tonight but not holding out too much hope

On a positive all is well with my boiler so worse comes to worse she is going to have to stay here.

Gers thanks hun i hope so too
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 2nd Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 18,371 Thanks
    snoozer
    Nelski, I hope it gets sorted tonight.

Nannywindow, I'm sorry you've been ill, I've had it too and it's taking ages to go.

Ziggypup had her visit to the new groomer and all was well thankfully, the first one DD tried must have been impatient with her because the one today really made an effort to put her at ease and get her used to the different implements.

I've cleaned the fridge today and one drawer of the freezer has been audited. I'm about to make a vegetable tagine for dinner because we both need to cut back on the carbs again.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 2nd Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 47,498 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Evening all,

Up early this morning, intending to go shopping, then DD4 rang to say that she was on her way with her 3 girls.....every time they leave the house in her car they want to come to see me....she doesnt have very much outside space and the girls have lots of room to run around here, they love to pick up any fallen apples. We had a nice morning, OH cooked us a lovely steak lunch and they headed off home......hope that they were tired enough to have a nap and give DD4 a rest for an hour or so.

It is incredible that such lunacy, evil or whatever caused the carnage in LA overnight, can continue, my immediate assumption was that it was yet another terrorist attack.....to discover that it was an individual with 10 !!! guns makes it somehow even worse.....when will the U.S. see sense in respect of their gun laws?

Nelski.....the sooner the better your mothers heating is sorted.

Thinking of you today Csarina.

Nice to see you back nannywindow. Sorry to hear about your elderly neighbour, my one fear about getting older is not being able to make my own decisions and look after myself....I dread the thought of a nursing home.

Hope that the weather eases for those having stormy conditions

Stay warm and safe.

Marie.
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 2nd Oct 17, 8:42 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 47,498 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Just lost a long post so will say hugs and positive vibes to everyone.

Marie.
    Weight 08 February 86kg
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,796Posts Today

7,708Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin