Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bikeit
    • By bikeit 2nd Oct 17, 12:39 AM
    • 143Posts
    • 25Thanks
    bikeit
    Can i be sacked??
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:39 AM
    Can i be sacked?? 2nd Oct 17 at 12:39 AM
    I was taken to hospital from work last August in a lot of pain and after scans it was confirmed than i had a hernia i was operated on a few weeks later, was off work for 3 months, on my return to work i was on light duties for a few weeks, after that i was back doing my normal job, but from the operation i have been in a lot of pain resulting on me being taken into hospital two weeks ago i spent three days as the doctors where tying to see what was causing the pain, so now it looks like i need another operation, so can my employer sack me when im off on the sick and giving him sick notes from the doctor?
Page 1
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 2nd Oct 17, 5:54 AM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 4,789 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:54 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:54 AM
    Potentially, yes on grounds of capability.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 2nd Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    How long have you worked there? If less than 2 years they can sack you easily, longer than that they should go through formal processes, but it is still likely that they can decide to sack you in the end as ohreally says.
    • bikeit
    • By bikeit 2nd Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    bikeit
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    I have been employed there 17 years. Maybe time to see a solicitor.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 2nd Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 4,789 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    I'd suggest occupational health before a solicitor.

What you you expect from a solicitor?
    Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 2nd Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    Not sure a solicitor will tell you anything different. Ultimately, if you can't do your job any longer (ie can only do light duties) then you can be dismissed for reasons of capability.

Legal advice/representation can only ensure that the company's sickness & capability policy is followed properly (or a possible legal claim if not), but won't effect the overall outcome - that you will no longer have that job.

If you can no longer do the job, they have every right to get rid of you.
    • bikeit
    • By bikeit 2nd Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    bikeit
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    The company does not have OT or is that someone the company takes in. To be honest I'm not sure what I'm expecting from a solicitor. I really don't know where to turn.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 2nd Oct 17, 10:02 AM
    • 32,489 Posts
    • 27,241 Thanks
    custardy
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:02 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:02 AM
    I have been employed there 17 years. Maybe time to see a solicitor.
    Originally posted by bikeit
    I would suggest you read your companys sick policy first!
    • tizerbelle
    • By tizerbelle 2nd Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 3,091 Thanks
    tizerbelle
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    There is nothing you can do at present other than ensuring that you follow your employer's sickness procedure, submit fit notes promptly and keep them informed of your progress and expected return to fitness / work.

If you are likely to be off for more than 4 weeks, you can ask your Dr to refer you to the Fit for Work service, this is free for you and your employers and is essentially OH-Lite but if it shows you are trying to get back to work and willing to engage with your employer it could go in your favour.
    • matttye
    • By matttye 3rd Oct 17, 7:11 AM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    matttye
    Has your employer said anything which makes you think you’re going to be sacked or is this an entirely speculative question?

If the latter, don’t waste any time or money in speaking to a solicitor until something actually develops. At the moment you have no legal problem to talk to them about!
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin