Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mudgekin
    • By mudgekin 1st Oct 17, 11:21 PM
    • 493Posts
    • 2,845Thanks
    mudgekin
    Can't sell due to neighbours (Scotland )
    • 1st Oct 17, 11:21 PM
    Can't sell due to neighbours (Scotland ) 1st Oct 17 at 11:21 PM
    Currently we own a first floor flat in what was a gorgeous building. Unfortunatly antisocial neighbours moved in next door. 2 neighbours moved out but were unable to sell due to the state that the neighbour has made of the property and back court. They ended up letting their flats. Sadly the neighbours 2 sons rented these flats so we are left with a whole corner section if the building that's now a slum.

I need to move for health reasons as I can no longer manage the stairs. I can't sell, 2 estate agents walked into the entrance of the building and turned and left as the stench of dog faeces and urine assaulted them. Between the 3 flats they have 10 dogs none of which are w lied so defacate and urinate into their garden.

The whole thing us making us ill. The local council have told them to get it fixed but they ignore it, they ignore fines, jail is a home from home.

I think I might just gave to resort to one of these companies that buy properties. Does anyone have any experience of any of them and are there any that's less bad than the others. Without selling, I won't be able to rent a housing association home which I'm applying for.
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 1st Oct 17, 11:34 PM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 6,066 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 1st Oct 17, 11:34 PM
    Investigate auctions first - as that's likely to be all that "these companies that buy properties" are likely to do with yours, after ripping you off and taking their own cut.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 1st Oct 17, 11:34 PM
    • 23,707 Posts
    • 89,684 Thanks
    Davesnave
    People here don't recommend "We buy any house" companies.

For hard-to-shift property, auctions are probably the best route to a sale.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • mudgekin
    • By mudgekin 2nd Oct 17, 12:17 AM
    • 493 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    mudgekin
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:17 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:17 AM
    Thank you so much guys, I never even thought of auctions. For some reason I'd just thought if those as fir repossessions etc. I'll go have a look. All if the we buy any house type companies have these glossy websites that promise the earth but I'm not naive to believe their blurbs. I'm just desperately needing to get out if a dreadful situation. The sat thing is my lovely downstairs neighbour and I keep our part of the building immaculate but no one sees that when they have to pass by piles of stinking dog poo.
    I know I wouldn't buy somewhere where that was my first impression
    • Scotbot
    • By Scotbot 2nd Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    Scotbot
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    Thank you so much guys, I never even thought of auctions. For some reason I'd just thought if those as fir repossessions etc. I'll go have a look. All if the we buy any house type companies have these glossy websites that promise the earth but I'm not naive to believe their blurbs. I'm just desperately needing to get out if a dreadful situation. The sat thing is my lovely downstairs neighbour and I keep our part of the building immaculate but no one sees that when they have to pass by piles of stinking dog poo.
    I know I wouldn't buy somewhere where that was my first impression
    Originally posted by mudgekin
    If it is auctioned there will be set viewing times so arrange to have the offending areas professionally cleaned prior. I know you shouldn't have to but a small cost for peace of mind
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 2nd Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    • 14,249 Posts
    • 38,592 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    I am wondering if the same thing applies in Scotland as in the rest of the country here. That being whether there is a question about disputes/possible disputes on a legal questionnaire and buyers are able to come back on the seller if they give misleading replies?

Does that legal questionnaire apply in Scotland too?
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • mudgekin
    • By mudgekin 2nd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    mudgekin
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    If it is auctioned there will be set viewing times so arrange to have the offending areas professionally cleaned prior. I know you shouldn't have to but a small cost for peace of mind
    Originally posted by Scotbot
    Sadly I can't have the areas cleaned as the area in question is their property. Anyone coming to view mine has to pass this disaster area complete with old beds, rubbish and the dog mess.

If I thought I could clean it I would but I'd clean it, then the next times the dogs were out we would be back to square one.

I'm just at the end of my tether now.
    • mudgekin
    • By mudgekin 2nd Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    mudgekin
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    I am wondering if the same thing applies in Scotland as in the rest of the country here. That being whether there is a question about disputes/possible disputes on a legal questionnaire and buyers are able to come back on the seller if they give misleading replies?

Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Sadly it does and of course because I've been onto the council numerous times both environmental services and animal control that alone will be an issue. Aberdeenshire council have been great but there's only so much they can do too. I love the winter, the stench is reduced
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 2nd Oct 17, 12:53 PM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 15,655 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:53 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:53 PM

If the first thing that people encounter when visiting the property is dog poo the questionnaire is the least of the OP's worries.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 2nd Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 15,655 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Landlords in Scotland have a legal responsibility to ensure that their tenants are not a nuisance to the neighbours. Have you raised a complaint with the landlords - your former neighbours who have left you in the s h i t?

I'd also keep on at the council and maybe contract the SSPCA too.

I feel for you as this is a horrible situation to be in.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 2nd Oct 17, 1:00 PM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 2,972 Thanks
    sheramber
    Have you reported it to Environmental health?

Our neighbour shut their dog out in the garden all day and never walked it. the garden stank and the weeds were three feet high.

We couldn't go into our back garden without smelling it.

Environmental health visited and told them to clean it up. Several friends arrived and spent a whole day cutting down the weeds and cleaning the garden - they filled a skip with black bags of rubbish.

The dog warden also visited about the dog being shut out all day, in all weathers with only a cushion to lie on and a bowl of water.

Many years ago a friends as reported to Environmental Health as there were several small piles of dog poo in his garden. As many dogs do his dog moved about when going and rather than one pile left several. He cleaned the garden every day bit when he was at worked his pregnant daughter looked after the dog and he didn't want her cleaning it up- he did it hen he came home.

Environmental Health told him he had been reported under an ancient Scottish Law that you were only allowed three piles of poo!

A neighbour on a side street, who overlooked the the back garden, had reported him.

Strangely, he was advised to take his dog across the road to the grass verge to toilet where the neighbour wouldn't see it. Something he would not consider doing.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 2nd Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 14,249 Posts
    • 38,592 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    If the first thing that people encounter when visiting the property is dog poo the questionnaire is the least of the OP's worries.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    The point I'm making is it would be somewhat of a waste of time cleaning up these areas just before viewers visit anyway - and answering the questionnaire as "no dispute or possible dispute".

Reason being - the second a buyer moved in they would realise and then check back with the questionnaire to see if it was mentioned and "have a go" at OP if they hadnt mentioned it.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 2nd Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 6,066 Thanks
    davidmcn
    The point I'm making is it would be somewhat of a waste of time cleaning up these areas just before viewers visit anyway - and answering the questionnaire as "no dispute or possible dispute".

Reason being - the second a buyer moved in they would realise and then check back with the questionnaire to see if it was mentioned and "have a go" at OP if they hadnt mentioned it.
    I wouldn't have said such a question was standard in Scotland (though nothing stopping a buyer from asking it), but if went to auction there certainly wouldn't be any guarantees like that by the seller, it would be sold as seen/smelled.
    • mudgekin
    • By mudgekin 4th Oct 17, 8:28 AM
    • 493 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    mudgekin
    Thank you all for the kind replies. I think the first thing to do is to try and get a housing association home. I've contacted a couple and they say because of our disabilities we are entitled to sheltered accomodation.

I know I'm going to take a massive hit on the price at auction but it will be a balance between our mental health and money. It will make things a lot tighter esp as we are mortgage free at the moment after working hard and overpaying.

As always, sensible suggestions from MSEers.
    Btw, Environmental health gave hit them with a prohibition notice which they happily ignore.
    • indsty
    • By indsty 4th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    indsty
    Have you considered asking the "family" surrounding you whether they would like to buy your flat? I'm sure you don't want to have anything to do with them but they might just like to have the whole filthy place to themselves !

I am so sorry for your dilemma - it is very unfair that you have been left in this position.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 4th Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    • 23,675 Posts
    • 13,799 Thanks
    xylophone
    Btw, Environmental health gave hit them with a prohibition notice which they happily ignore.
    Why is action to enforce not being taken?
    • ed67812
    • By ed67812 5th Oct 17, 1:22 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    ed67812
    Assuming Scottish law is similar, I'm not buying your "there's only so much the council can do" line. As above, if prohibition notices are being ignored then why isn't action being taken?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin