Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danm
    • By danm 1st Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 423Posts
    • 148Thanks
    danm
    New car woe - what to consider
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    New car woe - what to consider 1st Oct 17 at 9:44 PM
    So I went to pick up my new car yesterday from dealer. Been waiting for 3-4 months.

Car was sitting waiting for me on arrival and on a quick inspection I noticed a few minor scuffs that I wanted fixing. As the salesman went to take it round to the valetting bay he has basically managed to corner too tightly and cave in the front and rear passenger side doors on a security bollard that had not been removed.

I have been given two options

Not accept the vehicle, they will order me a brand new one but will take 3 months

They will arrange for vehicle to be repaired to an as new standard and will give me £1000 off......it is a £45k car. - they have agreed I can still reject the car if I am not happy with it.

Part of me wants the brand spanking new car, but in all honesty i would rather have the car sooner and on basis it will be two totally brand new doors being added it will effectively be ‘as new’, if anything seems amiss I can reject (although not sure what I would be looking for apart from the colour)

I think I can negotiate some more discount, but anything else I need to be aware of before I decide...

TIA
Page 2
    • danm
    • By danm 2nd Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    danm
    thanks for all the feedback guys.

Decided to go with the repair on the basis that I can still reject if not to satisfaction. I will be going armed with my check list.

Got the comp up to £2000.

I know the body shop they are using and they do all the authorised repair work locally on high end Marques (I actually did very similar damage to my Evoque and it was dealt with by said company to excellent standard)
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 2nd Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    Stoke
    New car for me. It's not always easy to tell when a small amount of damage has spread onto another panel. Sometimes it can be nearly invisible, but it's there..... and then you notice one day and it's 6 months later and it's too late.

New car. New car......
    • loskie
    • By loskie 11th Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    loskie
    plus when you come to sell/trade in the car and are asked if it has had any accident damage you will be obliged to say yes thus devaluing your trade in. The dealership IMHO is taking the pee
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 11th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eschaton
    plus when you come to sell/trade in the car and are asked if it has had any accident damage you will be obliged to say yes thus devaluing your trade in. The dealership IMHO is taking the pee
    Originally posted by loskie
    Dealers only ever ask about damage that has resulted in a total loss claim. Luckily for me after the last car I traded in.

Apart from that, I would have been looking for a minimum of £5k off or new car ordered with an acceptable courtesy car.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,012Posts Today

4,447Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin