Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MissSJL
    • By MissSJL 1st Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 116Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MissSJL
    Car allowance - shall I finance a car?
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    Car allowance - shall I finance a car? 1st Oct 17 at 9:34 PM
    I receive £4K car allowance with my role and am currently driving an 07 Ford Focus with 130,000 miles on the clock, approx 30k a year on business miles. It’s going to need a fair few repairs soon and I’m starting to consider looking for a newer car.

I have some adverse credit so don’t think I’m able to go for a lease, but I have had finance accepted, not the lowest rate around, but I’m wondering if I should disregard that as it’s all being funded by car allowance? At the moment the allowance is just paid into my account with my wages as an additional extra/cover any repair costs etc.

I haven’t pursued the loan any further as I’m wondering if it’s the right thing to do? I’m worried about my current car conking out and would quite like something a bit more comfortable considering I spend 10 hours a day in it.

I don’t have much in terms of cash to put down having looked into PCP deals, but I don’t think I’d get accepted anyway.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by MissSJL; 01-10-2017 at 9:49 PM.
Page 1
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 1st Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    Personally on 30k miles per year I would think the maintenance fees will be very high. Maybe you would be better buying something a year or so old and run in into the ground for a few years?
    • MissSJL
    • By MissSJL 1st Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MissSJL
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    Yes Iíve been looking at 14/15 plate Fords with low mileage, not brand new. Iíve only ever had company cars with previous roles so am totally unawares what other people do in this situation. Some of my colleagues took out PCP deals, some drive old cars, some have bought brand new for cash and now have really high mileage. It seems we are disadvantaged any which way!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 1st Oct 17, 10:01 PM
    • 25,864 Posts
    • 10,294 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 1st Oct 17, 10:01 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 10:01 PM
    Disadvantaged?

Spend £8k on a car with under 30k miles, run it for 3 years and you should have a profit from your £4k a year.

Look after your current car it wont conk out.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • MissSJL
    • By MissSJL 1st Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MissSJL
    • 1st Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    Thanks for your replies. Not sure how I’d make profit though? The £4K is taxable and as it’ll be financed I’ll be paying interest also. Sorry I’m no good with numbers *shakes head*
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 2nd Oct 17, 5:31 AM
    • 25,864 Posts
    • 10,294 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:31 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:31 AM
    Because in 3 years you will have received £12k minus the tax and only spent £8k on a car..

If its finance then you get something older and much cheaper.

Just an example and probably not the car you want, but the figures make sense.

You can get a sub 5 year old KA with low mileage for under £4k. So in less than 2 years you should be able to pay it off in full and the 3rd year the £4k is all yours to save towards your next car.
    End of year 3 it will have approx 120k miles on it and you will get £1500+ for it also. SO £4k - tax + £1500 deposit towards the next car?

OK its a KA, but i quite like driving it. No issues thrashing it up and down the motorway daily.

Cheap to service also. Just had the full works on it and it came to less than £400.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • MissSJL
    • By MissSJL 2nd Oct 17, 6:57 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MissSJL
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:57 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:57 AM
    Ok that makes sense. Thanks for explaining. I have two small children so unfortunately I don’t think a KA will cut it �� but I see the point you’re getting at. I drove a KA as my first car, really loved it! Although the steering wheel used to shake with terror at 70mph+ haha. I’m sure they’re much more robust these days.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 2nd Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 7,565 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    A Ka should be stable and shake free at 70mph, there was something wrong with yours! Anything made in the last couple of decades (or indeed longer than that) should be absolutely fine at motorway speeds unless it's broken in some way.

If you get £4k/year to do 30,000 miles that's barely going to cover your fuel though, unless that is refunded separately.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • MissSJL
    • By MissSJL 2nd Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MissSJL
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    My mileage is reimbursed separately, so I don’t need to worry about that. As long as the car isn’t drinking fuel then I usually make a small profit each week. Although this is a 1.6 petrol, I’m sure a diesel would be more economical.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 2nd Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    I receive £4K car allowance with my role and am currently driving an 07 Ford Focus with 130,000 miles on the clock, approx 30k a year on business miles. Itís going to need a fair few repairs soon and Iím starting to consider looking for a newer car.

I have some adverse credit so donít think Iím able to go for a lease, but I have had finance accepted, not the lowest rate around, but Iím wondering if I should disregard that as itís all being funded by car allowance? At the moment the allowance is just paid into my account with my wages as an additional extra/cover any repair costs etc.

I havenít pursued the loan any further as Iím wondering if itís the right thing to do? Iím worried about my current car conking out and would quite like something a bit more comfortable considering I spend 10 hours a day in it.

I donít have much in terms of cash to put down having looked into PCP deals, but I donít think Iíd get accepted anyway.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by MissSJL
    When you say "it'll need a fair few repairs soon", what sort of stuff are you talking about? If you can keep it going for another year, that's probably about £3k after tax that you could save towards a deposit on a newer car minus the cost of any repairs. Would put you in a much better position.
    • macman
    • By macman 2nd Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 41,320 Posts
    • 16,984 Thanks
    macman
    If you are doing 30K a year, a diesel is a no-brainer in terms of fuel consumption.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 2nd Oct 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Personally on 30k miles per year I would think the maintenance fees will be very high.
    Originally posted by Phil&Michelle
    Based on what? If it is well maintained and serviced then other than normal serviceable items its not likely to need much doing at all. In fact it is likely to need far less doing than a car that does a fifth of that mileage a year.

My last Mondeo I bought at 3 years old with 90k on the clock. I ran that for over 75000 miles over the course of the next four years, finally selling it with 165k on and it only needed an alternator, a plastic pipe from the turbo to the intercooler and rear subframe bushes (common fault on the MK3 Mondeo). The last I knew of it it was on 175k still on the original clutch, turbo and injectors.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 02-10-2017 at 6:58 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,388Posts Today

7,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin