Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 1st Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 20,156Posts
    • 228,997Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd October 2017
    • 1st Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd October 2017 1st Oct 17 at 8:50 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

[/B] Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Kitchen & Dining Room

Level 1
    Clear drainer and sink
    Open window
    clear floor
    empty bins
    Clear sides and wipe, inc. small appliances and put back only what lives there

Level 2
    Wipe cupboard doors, drawer fronts and handles
    Clean and wipe/polish table
    Wipe/polish chairs - don't forget underneath seats where sticky fingers linger
    Wipe mats or wash and replace cloth
    Wipe sockets and switches

Level 3
    Clean sills
    Wipe windows
    Dust dressers or other furniture
    sweep/mop floors

Extras
    Check fridge for use-up stuff
    Do a freezer inventory - start using up/creating space for Christmas
    MAD half hour - plan to start nibbling away at a big job
    New month - do you need any cards? Buy December's cards too - because they mysteriously start to disappear from the shops
    Check smoke detectors and CO (carbon monoxide) detectors are fully-functional.
    HHI - keep on top of it!

Trffic Tuesday - Lounge about

Level 1

Open the windows
    Empty bins
    Remove anything that doesn't live here
    Dust coffee table and tidy
    See to flowers

level 2

Dust everywhere
    Plump cushions
    Wipe sills
    Clean windows

Level 3

Vacuum all soft furnishings, curtains
    sweep/vacuum/mop floor
    Dust skirtings

Extras
    Vacuum/dust radiators
    HHI
    Half term this month...start making plans - do you need craft materials for Christmas card making with the littleys?
    (laughs hysterically - I have to do it with 26 of them...)
    Plan something nice for the weekend

Wonderful Wipey Wednesday - bathroom

simple list - but effective

remove all gibble
    fling towels in wash
    scrub bath, loo and sink. THOROUGHLY inc under rims and outside...

fling bleach down all holes...

dust everywhere

polish mirrors and any glass

sweep and mop floor

S&S kitchen
    MAD half hour...

Thursday Thrills - bedroom

Before breakfast

Clear your floordrobe/chairdrobe
    Open window
    Strip bed
    Eat breakfast

Now for the room...
    vacuum/dust headboard/bedframe
    remake bed with fresh linen

If you have time

clean windows
    dust everywhere
    reduce dressing table clutter to what NEEDS to be out
    wipe switches/sockets/hairdryer
    vacuum floor

Exreas
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour

Friday Fling and Fresn'h'up - alittle of what you fancy...

Arm yourself with a damp cloth and a bin bag. 10 minute alarm on your phone.

Walk into a room. Start countdown. Bin rubbish. Wipe anything grim. Staighten up, rehome any strays.
    Leave IMMEDIATELY the alarm rings...

next room...

do as many rooms as you have time for.

HHI
    S&S kitchen and bathrooms.

ENJOY THE WEEKEND WITH YOUR FAMILY X
    Last edited by Valli; 05-10-2017 at 10:49 PM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Page 5
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 5th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 23,357 Posts
    • 90,772 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Oh, revenge can be sweet.

Was fixing an instrument today (as is my job) and nicked my finger when the fresh Stanley Blade slipped. The person who told me I can't have STCs or work trousers made a sarcastic joke about how those boots I'm so keen on wouldn't have saved me.

I smiled sweetly and replied yes, it's just as well I only cut my finger, as had I dropped the damn thing, it would have embedded itself in my thigh or foot by about an inch.

She scuttled off pretty sharpish.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 5th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 5,042 Posts
    • 52,414 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all

By golly - it's chilly tonight brrr

Dailies done
    Spanish lessons done
    Balcony cleared up again
    Spent too long watching the gannets - they were soo close today
    Cleared lots of little froglets of paperwork that were collecting

Kitchen & Dining Room
    Extras
    Do a freezer inventory

DONE

DONE

Strip bed
    remake bed with fresh linen

Hugs, sticks and spoons if you need some
    Hope you all have a fabulous Friday
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=2370....DEC=80.15/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1800....DEC=89.24/200
    Bulk buy.......DEC=101.44
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=191....DEC=2/15
    SPC130x60...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616...2017=3843.51
    OS WL= -4/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £10,250
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 6th Oct 17, 6:55 AM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 16,383 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning All,

Up early, still a big kid at heart for birthdays DW unloaded, WUDUPA and WM on.

Off gallivanting after school run up to the big yellow & blue store with Mum, then out for lunch. Also need to pop into the butchers for something for dinner.

Have fab days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.11.17 - £119,999.04
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 6th Oct 17, 7:21 AM
    • 382 Posts
    • 4,495 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Running late, late late! But just jumping on to say Happy Birthday to ATB! x

Catch you all later. X
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 6th Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 13,030 Posts
    • 114,308 Thanks
    lil_me
    Lots of new ladies since i was last in
    I need to reclaim my home, save money and loose weight so think I need this
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 6th Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 6,821 Posts
    • 87,041 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Happy Birthday ATB

Crikey it's cold out there! Kids delivered to school, first wash out on whirligig and second in WM. DW emptied, 2nd coffee made.

Need to pop to @ldi this morning, and catch up with this hovel! Another chazzer bag out for collection, and I have a Phone Call to make too out of comfort zone, lol
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 6th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 36,159 Posts
    • 466,097 Thanks
    pigpen
    Lil_me!!!!!!! Hello chicky ... how is everyone? and those handsome boys of yours?!

Sticky plasters rescued from the baby.. so she is now emptying the bag of nappies.. again!!

Desk for the girls room for christmas received.. and a parcel for DD1. I really need to make a concerted effort to clear the boxes of detritus from the girls room, it has been there over a year and it is not acceptable.. As OH is making such an effort with work and studies I really should play my part and make more effort in the hovel.. It has been so hard to even try to get motivated.

Everyone appears to have sore throats today.. I guess we are all in for the nearest cold that passes by. DD1 is likely back in hospital this afternoon which means I am probably getting her 2 monkeys for the weekend.. yay! 2 extras lol.. I don't mind really, they aren't so bad I guess.

I just realised I made a huge error on one of my knitted squares so have pulled out 6 rows of that.. so now I have 2 squares on the go at the same time which just serves to confuse me! squares 9 and 10 of a 12 square blanket.. next one is pink and I think the last one may be dark purple or maybe yellow.. then I need to start blocking and make a start on the border.. I was thinking a straight knitted border with icord edging would suffice, and could also be knitted straight on the joined up squares to avoid further stitching.. it is more fiddly but will look nicer I hope.

Best shift my furry derriere anyway.. DD1 and I have appointments to have eyebrows ripped off.. her GP appointment is straight after so at least she will look good in hospital puking everywhere lol..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 6th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 33,851 Thanks
    ionafan

Happy Birthday atb x

Welcome to new and returning Flyladies

A big weight has been taken off my mind: I have actually exceeded the pass mark for the humongous portfolio assignment that I had to do over the summer, which ruined my life for 8 weeks. The relief of not having to repeat the work is immense! Thanks to all my FlyFriends for your support and encouragement during those horrendous weeks when I also had to cope with DH's hospitalisation xxx

I have crossed a few things off my list this week, including a couple of frogs, but still not managed to get out in the garden at all However, walking Rosie this morning I went past a garden with a glorious dark blue Michaelmas daisy, and the owner said that I was welcome to have a root off it to add to my collection I must remember to pop down there with my trowel and plastic bag later! And there's another one I'd like from a few doors further along the road Just about to prepare lunch, now that DH is back from visiting new wargames shop then I might get out and do some wedding and general tidying up for an hour.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. That's another week crossed off, Froddy
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 6th Oct 17, 1:59 PM
    • 10,036 Posts
    • 107,815 Thanks
    LameWolf
    A big weight has been taken off my mind: I have actually exceeded the pass mark for the humongous portfolio assignment that I had to do over the summer, which ruined my life for 8 weeks. The relief of not having to repeat the work is immense! Thanks to all my FlyFriends for your support and encouragement during those horrendous weeks when I also had to cope with DH's hospitalisation xxx
    Originally posted by ionafan
    Very well done! I am so pleased for you; I know how stressed out you were with it, so it's fantastic news.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 6th Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Where did the week go?
    Ok it's Friday and this is the first time I have logged on this week, oops. And now it's nearly the weekend. So looking back on the week, the washing is up to date including ironing and put away. Bedroom is fine, living room is reasonable, not sorted but everything is in the right place although it does need a good sorting through, photo frames etc not really displayed as they could be. And kitchen is better or rather less bad than just before the weekend last week. Away again for the weekend so no more will get done except a quick run round with the vacuum in a minute.

A couple of tricky phone calls made too.

Not going to post what is still outstanding as that doesn't make me feel positive.

Positive progress is going to be my new motto.

Loads of positive vibes to those who want or need, help yourself.
    • macpep1
    • By macpep1 6th Oct 17, 2:28 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 26,888 Thanks
    macpep1
    Hi All

Not a lot has disappeared off this list! Not a good start, tomorrow my DD is at school all day for show rehearsals & DH will be taking DS to football so I plan on getting stuck in while I am home alone.

Happy Birthday :cake: ATB hope you have a lovely day.

DH cleared a load of leaves last night to fill our garden/food waste bit & I got a flu jab this morning

I plan on using MAD half hours to sort out the ironing mountain into manageable piles ready for HHI's.

Kitchen & Dining Room

Level 1
    Clear drainer and sink
    Open window
    clear floor
    Clear sides and wipe, inc. small appliances and put back only what lives there

Level 2
    Wipe cupboard doors, drawer fronts and handles
    Clean and wipe/polish table
    Wipe/polish chairs - don't forget underneath seats where sticky fingers linger
    Wipe mats or wash and replace cloth

Level 3
    Clean sills
    Wipe windows
    Dust dressers or other furniture
    sweep/mop floors

Extras
    Check fridge for use-up stuff
    Do a freezer inventory - start using up/creating space for Christmas
    MAD half hour - plan to start nibbling away at a big job
    New month - do you need any cards? Buy December's cards too - because they
    HHI - keep on top of it!

Level 1
    Open the windows
    Empty bins
    Remove anything that doesn't live here
    Dust coffee table and tidy

Level 2
    Dust everywhere
    Plump cushions
    Wipe sills
    Clean windows

Level 3
    Vacuum all soft furnishings, curtains
    sweep/vacuum/mop floor
    Dust skirtings

Extras
    Vacuum/dust radiators

HHI

remove all gibble
    fling towels in wash
    scrub bath, loo and sink. THOROUGHLY inc under rims and outside...

fling bleach down all holes...
    dust everywhere
    polish mirrors and any glass
    sweep and mop floor
    S&S kitchen
    MAD half hour...

Clear your floordrobe/chairdrobe
    Open window
    vacuum/dust headboard/bedframe

If you have time
    clean windows
    dust everywhere
    reduce dressing table clutter to what NEEDS to be out
    wipe switches/sockets/hairdryer
    vacuum floor

Extras
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour

Friday Fling and Fresn'h'up - alittle of what you fancy...

Arm yourself with a damp cloth and a bin bag. 10 minute alarm on your phone.

Walk into a room. Start countdown. Bin rubbish. Wipe anything grim. Staighten up, rehome any strays.
    Leave IMMEDIATELY the alarm rings...

next room...

do as many rooms as you have time for.

HHI
    S&S kitchen and bathrooms.

ENJOY THE WEEKEND WITH YOUR FAMILY X

Last edited by macpep1; 06-10-2017 at 2:39 PM.
    Gratitude is the best Attitude
    Long Term Flylady
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 6th Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 4,091 Posts
    • 47,980 Thanks
    Jazee
    Evening all.

Well done Ionafan. Sorry, can't remember any more. OOh ATB, Happy Bday.

Busy weekend ahead:

3 village events
    Wedding dress fitting for DD
    5 phone calls to make
    Contracts to sort out
    Need to sort out car with garage
    WI stuff
    Gardening
    Clean cars
    Dailies
    Hoover/sweep/mop through
    Clean fridge and meal plan.

I'll report back if I get a chance with progress. I've cancelled a meal out on Sunday.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) December £355 Total £12694.84/£12000

• kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 6th Oct 17, 9:52 PM
    • 9,357 Posts
    • 118,614 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Evening

Work done for today
    Happy birthday and hugs to them at need them
    Lunch made for tomorrow
    Sun, Sea
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 6th Oct 17, 11:25 PM
    • 5,042 Posts
    • 52,414 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all. Welcome to the new peoples and returners

Hope you had a fandabadosy birthday ATB

Brilliant news Iona - soo pleased for you and well deserved

Lists all done this week where appropriate

Hope you all have a super weekend
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=2370....DEC=80.15/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1800....DEC=89.24/200
    Bulk buy.......DEC=101.44
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=191....DEC=2/15
    SPC130x60...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616...2017=3843.51
    OS WL= -4/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £10,250
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 7th Oct 17, 7:03 AM
    • 9,357 Posts
    • 118,614 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning

Very dark here this morning
    A couple of spead sheets made already
    Daily stuf is nearly done
    Sort out lunch for work
    laters
    Sun, Sea
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 7th Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    • 382 Posts
    • 4,495 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning,

Well done Iona, that must be such as relief.

Drizzling nicely outside at the moment. School uniform hanging around inside to dry, a small ironing hill has just been flattened, and the DW is running.

Today is going to be spent mainly in the car from from A to B via XYZ. I might meet myself coming back at some point! As long as I remember to drop and pick up the right people at the right places, all should be good. All I really want to do is curl up in front of a film and sleep, sleep, sleep.....
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 7th Oct 17, 11:37 AM
    • 36,159 Posts
    • 466,097 Thanks
    pigpen
    My poor throat is really painful today.

Swimming at 1 for the girls
    Twinkle having a nap

DD3's friend stayed over last night.. I was a bit about it as she is clearly gay but I believe DD3 isn't, though a bit of experimenting may be necessary.. but I wouldn't allow the others to have partners stay over at 16 so regardless of sexuality those rules have to stay the same.. but they just chatted and played guitar until about 2am so all is in line and ordered and rule abiding.

WMx2

And a lovely conversation had with Squeak about why we do not fiddle in our lady parts in public.. it is something to be done in private with clean hands.. OH looks most uncomfortable lol
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 7th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 35,726 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Tough enforcing those rules sometimes isnt it Pigpen. So much easier when they are 18 and adults.

So, went out last night and had 3 small glasses of wine which resulted in me dreaming and waking up constantly. Seems I now cannot drink and sleep properly. Feeling a bit bleugh.

But I have done 2 hours paid stuff, dw and wm on. Off to tidy a little. In a grump with the teenagers who are supposed to be helping but aren't. Ah, sounds like someone is putting the kettle on.
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 7th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 8,226 Thanks
    donnajt
    Have lovely weekends fly ladies, thank you Valli for lovely lists that I have almost managed to complete each day, loved yesterday, it felt written personally for me as I was unwell and ten min bursts was just what doctor ordered!!!
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017
    Eat out of Freezer/Cupboards
    • Valli
    • By Valli 7th Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 20,156 Posts
    • 228,997 Thanks
    Valli
    and all I can manage...

hectic life...
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

2,814Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin