Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 1st Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 20,085Posts
    • 228,178Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd October 2017
    • 1st Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd October 2017 1st Oct 17 at 8:50 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

[/B] Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Kitchen & Dining Room

Level 1
    Clear drainer and sink
    Open window
    clear floor
    empty bins
    Clear sides and wipe, inc. small appliances and put back only what lives there

Level 2
    Wipe cupboard doors, drawer fronts and handles
    Clean and wipe/polish table
    Wipe/polish chairs - don't forget underneath seats where sticky fingers linger
    Wipe mats or wash and replace cloth
    Wipe sockets and switches

Level 3
    Clean sills
    Wipe windows
    Dust dressers or other furniture
    sweep/mop floors

Extras
    Check fridge for use-up stuff
    Do a freezer inventory - start using up/creating space for Christmas
    MAD half hour - plan to start nibbling away at a big job
    New month - do you need any cards? Buy December's cards too - because they mysteriously start to disappear from the shops
    Check smoke detectors and CO (carbon monoxide) detectors are fully-functional.
    HHI - keep on top of it!

Trffic Tuesday - Lounge about

Level 1

Open the windows
    Empty bins
    Remove anything that doesn't live here
    Dust coffee table and tidy
    See to flowers

level 2

Dust everywhere
    Plump cushions
    Wipe sockets and switches
    Wipe sills
    Clean windows

Level 3

Vacuum all soft furnishings, curtains
    sweep/vacuum/mop floor
    Dust skirtings

Extras
    Vacuum/dust radiators
    HHI
    Half term this month...start making plans - do you need craft materials for Christmas card making with the littleys?
    (laughs hysterically - I have to do it with 26 of them...)
    Plan something nice for the weekend

Wonderful Wipey Wednesday - bathroom

simple list - but effective

remove all gibble
    fling towels in wash
    scrub bath, loo and sink. THOROUGHLY inc under rims and outside...

fling bleach down all holes...

dust everywhere

polish mirrors and any glass

sweep and mop floor

S&S kitchen
    MAD half hour...

Thursday Thrills - bedroom

Before breakfast

Clear your floordrobe/chairdrobe
    Open window
    Strip bed
    Eat breakfast

Now for the room...
    vacuum/dust headboard/bedframe
    remake bed with fresh linen

If you have time

clean windows
    dust everywhere
    reduce dressing table clutter to what NEEDS to be out
    wipe switches/sockets/hairdryer
    vacuum floor

Exreas
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour

Friday Fling and Fresn'h'up - alittle of what you fancy...

Arm yourself with a damp cloth and a bin bag. 10 minute alarm on your phone.

Walk into a room. Start countdown. Bin rubbish. Wipe anything grim. Staighten up, rehome any strays.
    Leave IMMEDIATELY the alarm rings...

next room...

do as many rooms as you have time for.

HHI
    S&S kitchen and bathrooms.

ENJOY THE WEEKEND WITH YOUR FAMILY X
    Last edited by Valli; 05-10-2017 at 10:49 PM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Page 2
    • Mudbath
    • By Mudbath 2nd Oct 17, 3:45 PM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 112,484 Thanks
    Mudbath
    I'm in and a big thank you for the list which I love as my DH cleaned the kitchen last night so everything is done!

Quiet week for work so hope to have a sort out this week. Famous last words. I may actually just sleep as feeling a little under the weather
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 2nd Oct 17, 3:56 PM
    • 6,821 Posts
    • 87,024 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Ooo.

I’ve done and printed my homework (2days early *glow*). Made soup, cleaned furries cage, emptied kitchen bin and collected the bairns

They have changed and are watching a movie. Still tired from the weekend I think...

I’ve also called another charity about a volunteer placement, and they asked me to send my cv, so that’s a start. Things might just be looking up in that quarter!
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • aklmatthews
    • By aklmatthews 2nd Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 972 Thanks
    aklmatthews
    up to now today i have done
    Level 1
    Clear drainer and sink
    empty bins
    Clear sides and wipe, inc. small appliances and put back only what lives there

Level 2

Level 3
    Dust dressers or other furniture

Extras
    Check fridge for use-up stuff

2 lots of washing done and on the line
    Chicken and mushroom pie made for tonight's dinner
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 2nd Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 23,079 Posts
    • 89,199 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    He's swept the floor, cleared up the gibble from under the sofa and the WM is on!

In the meantime, I have found out that the appropriate response to being told I am not permitted to wear steel toecap boots because they do not look attractive when moving or behind heavy equipment is not to shrug and reply 'fair enough, I'll just sue you if there's an accident and I get hurt, then'.

I still have a job, however. And an automatic get out card for anything I don't feel like doing.

Mmmm. Chicken Skeleton boiled in water for hours. Yummy. Soup for dinner tonight, I guess.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • greent
    • By greent 2nd Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 6,296 Posts
    • 63,759 Thanks
    greent
    Sneaks in quietly after a month or so absence.....

Thanks for the thread, Valli

[COLOR="Red"]Kitchen & Dining Room

Level 1
    Clear drainer and sink - DONE
    Open window - DONE
    empty bins
    Clear sides and wipe, inc. small appliances and put back only what lives there - DONE

Level 2
    Clean and wipe/polish table - DONE
    Wipe/polish chairs - DONE
    Wipe sockets and switches - DONE

Level 3
    Clean sills - DONE (and outside - and did all of ground floor outside sills!)
    Wipe windows - DONE
    sweep/mop floors

Extras
    Check fridge for use-up stuff - DONE
    Do a freezer inventory - start using up/creating space for Christmas
    MAD half hour - plan to start nibbling away at a big job
    New month - do you need any cards? Buy December's cards too - because they mysteriously start to disappear from the shops
    Check smoke detectors and CO (carbon monoxide) detectors are fully-functional. - DONE
    HHI - keep on top of it! - didn't have any until half an hour ago - will aim to do it later

Also wiped down open shelving (currently acting as pantry) and tidied all shelves, amalgamating packets where 2 were open of the same thing....
    Went through kitchen paperwork and 1/3 to recycling, 2/3 to office for filing. Left 3 recipe cards (used), a Xmas list and my freezer notebook in kitchen.
    Got rid of OOD coupons from side of fridge as new month is here

Will catch up later
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1202.80/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1650/2017 items
    • Valli
    • By Valli 2nd Oct 17, 6:00 PM
    • 20,085 Posts
    • 228,178 Thanks
    Valli
    I would like to apologise; I *may* have accidentally reported someone...fat fingers.

Can't go to SW; have mislaid my book with my card in.

Been to M&S; got some massive YS bargains - 2 packs of mini meatballs for 65 p each! Woot

Went to doctors; cried when explaining what happened and why I panicked on HRT; mentioned it might be time for counselling; she agreed. Apparently, the hospice, just there *points* would have been my first port of call had my sister been a patient there; I'm going to try them anyway.
    £5342.65
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 2nd Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 25,987 Thanks
    short_bird
    In the meantime, I have found out that the appropriate response to being told I am not permitted to wear steel toecap boots because they do not look attractive when moving or behind heavy equipment is not to shrug and reply 'fair enough, I'll just sue you if there's an accident and I get hurt, then'.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Not allowed to wear steel toecap footwear? (sharp intake of breath) Gobsmacked.

Good thing it's the kitchen today, I've been batch cooking
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 2nd Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    • 9,304 Posts
    • 118,033 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Jojo, I have a pair of toe cap steel for when I am on building sites, but they look like trainers, the number of sites I have been told by H&S 'you're not come in wearing those' to which I replies please stand on my toes, then you will let me in, it always worked, and they did, but my 'trainers' really don't looked like toe capped. You would be able to wear some thing like that for your work.....................your bosses are ****

Cat is sitting on top of me.

Valli sorry to are having a tough time xx

Beans on toast tonight.
    Sun, Sea
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 2nd Oct 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 14,405 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Sounds like a report to the Health and Safety exec to me.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • Valli
    • By Valli 2nd Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 20,085 Posts
    • 228,178 Thanks
    Valli
    I had steel toecapped trainers when I worked on the refinery! And a donkey jacket and goggles and a hard hat.

Any aprticular requests for the list?
    £5342.65
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 2nd Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    Fayolle
    I hope the hospice can offer you the support, Valli. X

Inadvertently I think I might have actually done level 1 today. Result!
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 2nd Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 36,009 Posts
    • 464,104 Thanks
    pigpen
    Any aprticular requests for the list?
    Originally posted by Valli
    a day off?
    buy a slave?
    burn the hovel down and start again?
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 2nd Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 14,917 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    a day off?
    buy a slave?
    Originally posted by pigpen
    Piggers you've made my sh!t day much better, that made me
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 10.9.17 - £122,780
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 2nd Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    • 23,079 Posts
    • 89,199 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Jojo, I have a pair of toe cap steel for when I am on building sites, but they look like trainers, the number of sites I have been told by H&S 'you're not come in wearing those' to which I replies please stand on my toes, then you will let me in, it always worked, and they did, but my 'trainers' really don't looked like toe capped. You would be able to wear some thing like that for your work.....................your bosses are ****

Cat is sitting on top of me.

Valli sorry to are having a tough time xx

Beans on toast tonight.
    Originally posted by kazwookie

Trainers? Oh no, absolutely not. They're 'being nice' and ignoring my wearing black leather walking boots instead of a 'nice part of courts or flat pumps', having already threatened me with disciplinary action for wearing trainers as part of my arthritic Reasonable Adjustments until last term.

It's so much fun knowing I am perfectly dressed for work as a receptionist or filing clerk when I'm headfirst down the back of the stage running cables and trying to convince them not to daisychain five domestic extension leads into another or avoiding the various rusty nails protruding from the backdrop because I'm not allowed to wear heavy canvas work trousers, either.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 2nd Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 20,622 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Hugs Valli
    Zumba and Core Express done, ouch.
    Cleared out the wardrobe and various piles/boxes in the garage where I keep all my flower arranging clutter. Now all tidy, a box of stuff ready to take to the flower club bring and buy sale tomorrow and lots of garage space.
    Car full of loft rubbish taken to the tip.
    Friend's husband rang at 4 to say she was in surgery so lots of happy vibes please.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 2nd Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 34,151 Thanks
    Natty68
    Piggers didn't you try to do that a few years ago..well your kitchen anyway

Struggling financially
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 2nd Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 34,151 Thanks
    Natty68
    Valli Hugs honey xxx

Struggling financially
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 2nd Oct 17, 11:39 PM
    • 36,009 Posts
    • 464,104 Thanks
    pigpen
    Piggers didn't you try to do that a few years ago..well your kitchen anyway
    Originally posted by Natty68
    that deserves a pic of my 'severely neglected because I've had a poorly baby all week' kitchen... brb...

http://oi67.tinypic.com/fmswas.jpg
    Last edited by pigpen; 02-10-2017 at 11:58 PM.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 3rd Oct 17, 5:46 AM
    • 4,053 Posts
    • 47,565 Thanks
    Jazee
    Thanks Piggers. I feel better now about going off to work today without drying the dishes.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) October £650.24 Total £9650.24/£12000

• bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 3rd Oct 17, 9:05 AM
    • 6,821 Posts
    • 87,024 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Morning,

Is the world more crazy than it used to be, or do we just have more access to hearing about craziness do you think?

My children have lost the ability to listen. My floor needs sweeping again. I still need to get a flu jab. And return some boots I got for DD. I think she must have feet as big as her brother's now!

Today's jobs will include cleaning out the fridge before putting groceries away, roasting a chicken for dinner (although I'm going out ), hanging my bedding to dry as someone (not me!) tiddled in it , and sweeping the aforementioned grotty floor. Again.

Meh!

Hugs and high-fives where needed xx
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,648Posts Today

8,399Users online

Martin's Twitter