Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • k1rkyc
    • By k1rkyc 1st Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 197Posts
    • 44Thanks
    k1rkyc
    Washing machine shopping
    • 1st Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    Washing machine shopping 1st Oct 17 at 7:15 PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm hoping there are people on here to offer some advice 😄

Our Beko washing machine has served us for 4 years but has decided it's had enough. The control board has gone and the bearings are also starting to go.

Now the question is, which machine to get?!

Budget is around £400 Ish. One thing we did love about the Beko was the quick wash function, 38 mins for a full load at 40 degrees!

We've seen that the Samsung machines come with a 5 year warranty..... does anyone have any experience of their warranty? I wondered if they charge for a callout or if everything is included?

We're also looking at Bosch but they only have a 2 year warranty.

I also see that with John Lewis you can extend the warranty, is this worth it?

Thank you in advance for any replies, it's such a confusing market!
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 1st Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 2,455 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 1st Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    4 years ! Our Bosch washer and dryer are both getting on for 15 years old and are still working perfectly. Only problem was when one of my bras decanted a wire into the washing machine doings - but Mr S managed to sort that out.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 1st Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 15,442 Posts
    • 38,780 Thanks
    elsien
    • 1st Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    Some 5 year warranties are for parts only. As the labour/call out fee tend to be the biggest part of the bill we found it cheaper to call out a local engineer. (This was for a domestic machine in a non domestic setting.)
    My last washing machine at home lasted 15 years and I'd be extremely miffed at one that lasted only two or three.
    My current model has a 15 minute cold wash or a 60 minute one where you can adjust the temperature to suit. Does the job perfectly well, cost me £280 from a local independent retailer.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 2nd Oct 17, 7:07 AM
    • 11,442 Posts
    • 7,714 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:07 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:07 AM
    https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ww90j5456ma-ecobubble-freestanding-washing-machine-9kg-load-a-energy-rating-1400rpm-spin-white/p3189020#tabinfo-spcl-offr

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ww70j5555mw-eu-ecobubble-freestanding-washing-machine-7kg-load-a-energy-rating-1400rpm-spin-white/p3201798

http://www.samsung.com/uk/fiveyearwarranty/

In your budget, from John Lewis and with a free upgradeable guarantee to 5 year, parts and labour. All have a 15 minute quick wash.

Slightly over but with the same guarantee.

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-addwash-ww80k5410ww-eu-washing-machine-8kg-load-a-energy-rating-1400rpm-spin-white/p3278012

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-addwash-ww70k5410uw-washing-machine-7kg-load-a-energy-rating-1400rpm-spin-white/p2523289
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 02-10-2017 at 7:10 AM.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 2nd Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 15,467 Posts
    • 63,889 Thanks
    Judi
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    I love my Samsung bubble. Had to use the warranty once and they were out like a shot.

Tell the call centre the drum doesn't go round though as they have to go through an automated script and try and blame you for an eneven load. Foreign call centre too.

I can't fault my washer. It's the best washer I've ever had.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 2nd Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    Miele all day long! Parts availability guaranteed for 20 years after they stop making a machine. Our first one lasted 23 years with only 1 call-out, programmer finally went up in flames, cost to fix would have been £350 so we spent £100 more and bought a new one, 9 years on it's still going strong (and gets well used) and has been (touch wood rapidly!!) trouble free.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 2nd Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    • 11,442 Posts
    • 7,714 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    Miele all day long! Parts availability guaranteed for 20 years after they stop making a machine. Our first one lasted 23 years with only 1 call-out, programmer finally went up in flames, cost to fix would have been £350 so we spent £100 more and bought a new one, 9 years on it's still going strong (and gets well used) and has been (touch wood rapidly!!) trouble free.
    Originally posted by Chrishazle
    I agree but the OP's budget won't stretch to a Miele.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 2nd Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 15,467 Posts
    • 63,889 Thanks
    Judi
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    I agree but the OP's budget won't stretch to a Miele.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Must admit the price we paid for my bubble was the same as a basic Miele in the sale.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 2nd Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    To be fair, for the price of a Miele, you can buy three or four Bekos.
    • bris
    • By bris 2nd Oct 17, 1:56 PM
    • 7,107 Posts
    • 6,124 Thanks
    bris
    Stick to the cheap sub £250 machines. Even the dearest washing machines are like everything else these days, the cheap machines share the same parts from the more expensive options and most of the popular makes are all made by the same factories.

The most expensive machines are just way over priced and still break down, but any machine will last 20 years if you keep throwing parts into them, just like triggers brush.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 2nd Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 97,795 Thanks
    missprice
    I have been buying washing machines for decades now, and after all this time I have come to the conclusion, buy cheap and often.

Maybe things will change in the next few decades.
    My reasoning, I can buy a machine for about £160. It will last two years possibly a bit more. When it dies, I can simply look online, find cheapest, buy same day, install same day. When I have bought expensive machines, I end up waiting a week for engineer, waiting another 4days for parts, a week later something else breaks. In this time my washing mountain increases exponentially.
    The cost per week, assuming it lasts 2 years is about £1.50 and I can't use launderette for that money.

Things have changed slightly as I no longer have children at home with all the extra washing that brings. But for now I will stick with my way.
    84 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • k1rkyc
    • By k1rkyc 2nd Oct 17, 2:22 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    k1rkyc
    Wow, thanks for the replies everyone!

We've decided to go for the Samsung from John Lewis. Couldn't ignore the 5 year warranty and from what I can see the warranty covers call outs, parts and labour.

Hopefully going to order this evening, I must remember to scour the web for money off vouchers or cash back offers!

Thanks again lovely people!
    • sanaafreen
    • By sanaafreen 12th Dec 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sanaafreen
    Great that you have already decided. Even my opinion is the same.. We should either go for Samsung or Bosch. These 2 are the best in the market so far. However, if you are looking for long time warranty period then Samsung is the best option without any doubt.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 12th Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 30,837 Posts
    • 18,445 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Grundig are Beko's with a 5y P&L warranty.

the trick is to short list and wait for the deal on the better one on your list.

check price history with pricespy.

if you are going to be using the quick washes then you don't need to worry so much about the A++++++ ratings as they are for the super eco washes that will take 3hr.

you need to look more closely at the manuals to find the energy/water consumptions for the other washes and not all machines will tell you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin