Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mmills
    • By Mmills 1st Oct 17, 7:09 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Mmills
    2 defaults for 1 loan...
    • 1st Oct 17, 7:09 PM
    2 defaults for 1 loan... 1st Oct 17 at 7:09 PM
    Can I confirm if this is right please?

I had a loan with Barclays and it defaulted 2 years ago.

I continued paying it off and about a year ago PRA took it over.

However...on my credit file it shows as 2 defaults...one for Barclays at balance of £0 and the PRA basically opened an account and immediately defaulted it.

Is this how it should be or should there only be 1 default? I think it's supposed to be just the 1 default and not 2.

Thanks
    MM
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,151 Thanks
    zx81
    • 1st Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    There should just be one. Dispute the second.
    • Mmills
    • By Mmills 1st Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mmills
    • 1st Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    Thanks. I thought so...will dispute it.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 1st Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 1st Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    Normally what happens, is the debt is sold on and then the new company registers the default and the original creditor removes theirs. It should have the same date and amount. Was it paid off before it was taken over?
  • National Debtline
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    Hi Mmills

When a debt collection agency (DCA) buys a debt they can record it on your credit file as a separate entry to the original creditor. They can also register a default, but it needs to be on the same date as the original creditor registered it.

You can complain that PRA has used a different date and ask for it to be changed to the date Barclays used. Make your complaint to PRA initially, but if they don't change it raise the issue with the credit reference agency. Bear in mind there are 3 credit reference agencies so you may wish to check the entries on all 3 reports.

Experian have confirmed that although the debt is recorded twice, it is only the entry from the DCA that should affect your credit rating. Both entries will be removed 6 years after the date of the default.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,692Posts Today

8,906Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin