Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 1st Oct 17, 6:42 PM
    • 135Posts
    • 70Thanks
    aliby21
    rewiring - future proofing
    • 1st Oct 17, 6:42 PM
    rewiring - future proofing 1st Oct 17 at 6:42 PM
    (also posted in 'in my home')
    Hi all,
    I am planning a rewire of a house I've just bought. I think I'm ok with what I am going to need in terms of the the basic electricals - sockets, lights, switches, etc - and I've looked at this thread which has given me some pointers . But I am still stuck when it comes to thinking about more techy type future proofing. Phones, TV, internet, that sort of thing. My thoughts were that most phones now are ones with multiple handsets to one base station, so only need one phone point. Similar with internet, mostly wireless, or if not can use one of these. TV, there is a nicely placed satellite dish and would be very easy to run from that to any room, if I wanted. But I am fairly basic in my wants for anything like this, and even more backward in being aware of future developments, so any advice from those more knowledgeable would be very welcome.
    TIA
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 1st Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    • 25,857 Posts
    • 10,292 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 1st Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    Run a sat cable or pair to each room and some CAT6 cable.

Mostly wireless internet is OK for most but how much speed are you losing? If your internet is slow then OK. But with faster internet speeds coming will your wifi keep up?

I have gone back to cables for most of my systems. Only the phones and tablets use the wifi.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 1st Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 7,579 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 1st Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    I only use wifi for mobile devices; everything else is wired. Ethernet is just so much faster and more reliable than anything else. So I'd run some cat6 cables.

I don't know anything about TV systems.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 2nd Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    Future proofing is difficult to do with technology as you never know what is around the corner!
    Consider that fibre is commonplace out and about but not yet in the home normally. So you might think of running in fibre!.....then it may be the wrong type!

Consider the main problem which is retrospectively running in cables of any sort. Might be useful to install buried trunking so that cables can be added at a later stage particularly where retrofit would cause mess or be awkward such as in solid floors/walls, house to garage or outside (provide protection then from rhodents!), to lofts and between floors.

Useful for communications, control systems (for heating/lighting/sensors/alarms etc.) that have not been though of at present.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 2nd Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    I only use wifi for mobile devices; everything else is wired. Ethernet is just so much faster and more reliable than anything else. So I'd run some cat6 cables.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Definitely do this.
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 2nd Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    aliby21
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    Thank you everyone, that is mega helpful! I'd never thought of wired being a better option, that is very useful to know. and I like the idea of getting some trunking put in to keep options open. thank you
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 2nd Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 3,984 Thanks
    sillygoose
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    Yes some cat6 a couple of runs where possible.

Not only for internet but there are devices that can send things like video camera or HDMI signals, even USB over Cat6

Might give you options for webcams, security cams or home automation later on. Or enough cores for an alarm installation.

Another consideration might be to anticipate where most your IT is likely to be. I would consider putting special outlets on a separate circuit that could be run via a decent sized UPS say in the garage. This does require a bypass switching arrangement so the UPS can be taken offline and serviced. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but I used to be in the UPS business so I know how its done. (I have a gas boiler but it requires mains for ignition and the pump so I would probably connect that too, power-cuts are rare but tend to happen in cold weather!)

Back to the mains, how about a future electric car or plug in hybrid? if you have a garage and drive you may want to consider a dedicated 32A feed on its own breaker to a location near the door where a car might be parked outside. This would be ready for a direct connection of a future wall mounted charger to be installed (on the outside wall) or a normal socket for a portable charger as supplied with an electric vehicle, they are much safer running on their own circuit. Even if this feed is just safely terminated in a junction box for now.
    I was fortunate in that I had a no longer in use one for an out building I was able to adopt for my EV charger.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 3rd Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 3,345 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    Remember that CAT6 has a solid (plastic) core so is difficult to run round bends without needing a large radius ... CAT5e should be perfectly fine - it's can achieve gigabit speeds over the sorts of distances you'd need in a home.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 3rd Oct 17, 1:18 PM
    • 13,046 Posts
    • 11,115 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:18 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:18 PM
    ... install buried trunking so that cables can be added at a later stage particularly where retrofit would cause mess or be awkward such as in solid floors/walls...
    Originally posted by Heedtheadvice
    This is the most futureproof of ideas - allow enough space in the conduit to run whatever you need over the next 50 years or so and then you're not stuck with token ring when ethernet comes along...
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 4th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    Every point you are going to have an aerial / satellite point, also have a double ethernet point (minimum CAT5E). You're going to want to run (potentially) 4K video over ethernet, not WiFi, so position ports where the screens will be. That's also likely to be where games machines will be, so reduce ping time by going cabled. Elsewhere, think about what other bits of kit may need to be connected to ethernet, and position accordingly. Consider then where you are going to terminate all of this cabling - i.e. where are you going to site your network switch.

If you're running cables, don't forget to put the wiring in for speakers. Where your main viewing will take place you should cater for a minimum of 5.1 wiring; for Dolby Atmos think about running wiring to where ceiling speakers would be. Again, think of the termination point - where would an amp be for main viewing speakers; do you want to be able to distribute that audio (and video) signal to other rooms - but certainly don't miss the opportunity to get your audio cables hidden at the same time as you are doing power/network.

Some speakers may not need "speaker cables", just power - for example I've recently installed ceiling speakers in a bathroom which are bluetooth. They are switched/powered via the bathroom extractor fan power feed, and you can only connect via bluetooth - the kids love it as they can blast out their music whilst in the shower, without having to carry around another speaker. You might want this sort of speaker being catered for.
    Last edited by CardinalWolsey; 04-10-2017 at 1:00 PM.
    • hd216
    • By hd216 4th Oct 17, 1:56 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    hd216
    With regards to the data side of things - instead of just running just one cat5 / 6 to each face plate, run 2 or more - even if not used it gives you the flexibility in the future just in case you decide to add a new gadget alongside another.
    Wired smoke alarms are also something I wish I had thought about - nothing quite like having that annoying beep bugging you to replace a dying 9v battery in the small hours of the morning!
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 4th Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    aliby21
    Thank you, this is all so helpful. I really like the approach of making it easy to put in cables in future, whatever the requirements might be, and this has made me rethink a few thinks but I reckon I have come up with a cunning plan , This is all giving me a much better idea of how things might work, or could work. All your input is very much appreciated
    • Mr_Toad
    • By Mr_Toad 4th Oct 17, 6:57 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    Mr_Toad
    I'm going to disagree with the wired solution.

Five years ago a friend of mine moved house into a beautiful place that needed renovating and remodeling. As part of those renovations and because they were re-plastering every room he wired them all for satellite, sound and Ethernet.

All his sockets have USB etc.

At the time it seemed like the best way to future proof the entire house. Five years down the line things have moved on to the point where most of the wiring is pretty much redundant. The only part of the wiring he's using is the Sat feed to the bedroom and his study.None of his other devices are tethered to the wall with Ethernet cables.

What some of the others are saying about wireless was very true five years ago but not now. I'm sitting on my laptop and my wireless connection speed is exactly the same as my Ethernet speed on the desktop because I have a TPLink wireless repeater, it also has three Ethernet ports in the socket by the TV, one is connected to the TV, one to the Freeview box and the other to an Xbox.

A couple of years ago I lived in part of a 16th Century Manor house, the walls were solid stone and some were 3 foot thick. I used a set of plug in wireless extenders in those rooms I needed them and over the years as speeds increased I replaced them. The current ones that give me full fibre speed all over the house via wireless.

My point is that his re-wire was expensive and time consuming. A decent set of wireless extenders cost a few quid in comparison.

Another point to consider. Is the future really going to be wired?
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,226Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Not all firms have panels and HR teams. There are many very small businesses out there without such resources :) https://t.co/cLo0zO7Yqu

• Follow Martin