Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vauxhallman1982
    • By Vauxhallman1982 1st Oct 17, 5:36 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Vauxhallman1982
    Closing an old unused Credit Card
    • 1st Oct 17, 5:36 PM
    Closing an old unused Credit Card 1st Oct 17 at 5:36 PM
    Help please,

Im after closing an old mothercare credit card that i had, The card goes back to 2004? 2003 era, I havn't actually used the card in over a decade yet its still active, (only found out with a full credit report)
    I dont have the account number nor have i recived any corrospondence from them for some time nor do i have thee actual card,
    Another issue is i have also moved since that time so any update details will be sent to the wrong address, (this i moved some 3 years ago),
    Prior to moving i haven't heard a thing from any provider ref this card,
    Mothercare no longer seem to do a credit card and both email and phone call got me with no help, (email wasnt even responded to and the call told me to check the paperwork for the card ref contact details which i dont have and of)

How can i resolve this as at present if they were to renew the card it will be sent to the incorrect holder whom could cost me money apart from the fact it is also still showing on a credit report

Help

Regards
    Richard
Page 1
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 1st Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 29,613 Posts
    • 17,468 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 1st Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    A quick google shows GE Capital issued the mothercare card back in 2004. The business was sold to Santander back in 2008/09. But there may now be a tie up with Newday Ltd?

Ask the credit report provider who is reporting the card to them (it won't be Mothercare!).
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 1st Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 24,253 Posts
    • 11,536 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 1st Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    A card which has not been used in over a decade will not be sent out to anybody - if it is still active it could be that there is a small credit balance on it?
    If you owed on it then they would have been in touch.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Vauxhallman1982
    • By Vauxhallman1982 2nd Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vauxhallman1982
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    Yes there's an 18p positive balance.
    That im not fussed about just want the card closed.
    And yes on the credit report it is as Mothercare as the card issuer. But no contact details.
    • Vauxhallman1982
    • By Vauxhallman1982 7th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vauxhallman1982
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    Well spoken to both GE and also to santander who have no idea and of no help

There has to be a system in place to remove cards/accounts like this from still being present.

Spoken to mothercare whos phone support is they dont do credit cards. Stated they did back then to which the responce was the companys been restructured since then.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 7th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 24,253 Posts
    • 11,536 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    Does the card show on any of the CRA's?
    If they do ask them to give you details.

To be honest I would not lose any sleep with it - nobody can use the card and it is not damaging your credit files in any way.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,558Posts Today

8,409Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin