Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sebgsmith
    • By sebgsmith 1st Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sebgsmith
    British Gas Smart Meter - Switching energy provider HELP :/
    • 1st Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    British Gas Smart Meter - Switching energy provider HELP :/ 1st Oct 17 at 4:46 PM
    Good Afternoon All,

I would say Ive been tearing my hair out for the last couple of hours but i can't (I'm already bald )

Ive been crawling this forum looking for answers but I can't find anything relevant for my question. Im hoping by asking it on here it will help others as Im sure its a big one...

I have a newly installed BG smart meter (sept 17) my current tariff ends on 03/10/17 and by using the energy club comparison tool it looks that I can potentially save £300 by switching to either Eon or NPower.

My question is simple, will this all singing all dancing smart meter be turned into a 'dumb' meter once I switch? The only literature BG mention is that there shouldn't be any issues as long as the new provider supports smart meters.

Ive seen lots of debates on SMETS1 and SMETS2 and have no clue which mine is.

Im looking to switch to Eon or NPower but would welcome any feedback from people who have had a BG smart meter (a recent one) and switched firms.

I would prefer to have full functionality of the device but wouldn't be dettered by manually submitting readings again if this was the only option?

Please please Im not looking to start a debate about smart meters (I've read so many already today!) Im just looking for some help.

Your help is really appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Seb
Page 1
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 1st Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 1st Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    Yes your smart meter will just revert to a standard meter that you will need to read yourself and send meter readings to your supplier (or wait for them to send someone out to read it).

Your smart meter's IHD, the small display unit they provide you with that shows you your usage, costs etc, will usually stop working with a week or two of your switch to another supplier.

As two former British Gas customers have recently just discovered: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73164244&postcount=277

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73198782&postcount=34

There have been some people who have found their IHD still shows some basic information, but the bottom line is, until they fit SMETS 2 smart meters, they are pretty pointless to have (IMHO).
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 1st Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 1st Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    It will be a smets1 since they have a large stockpile of these to use up.
  • nPower
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:40 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:40 AM
    Good Afternoon All,

I would say Ive been tearing my hair out for the last couple of hours but i can't (I'm already bald )

Ive been crawling this forum looking for answers but I can't find anything relevant for my question. Im hoping by asking it on here it will help others as Im sure its a big one...

I have a newly installed BG smart meter (sept 17) my current tariff ends on 03/10/17 and by using the energy club comparison tool it looks that I can potentially save £300 by switching to either Eon or NPower.

My question is simple, will this all singing all dancing smart meter be turned into a 'dumb' meter once I switch? The only literature BG mention is that there shouldn't be any issues as long as the new provider supports smart meters.

Ive seen lots of debates on SMETS1 and SMETS2 and have no clue which mine is.

Im looking to switch to Eon or NPower but would welcome any feedback from people who have had a BG smart meter (a recent one) and switched firms.

I would prefer to have full functionality of the device but wouldn't be dettered by manually submitting readings again if this was the only option?

Please please Im not looking to start a debate about smart meters (I've read so many already today!) Im just looking for some help.

Your help is really appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Seb
    Originally posted by sebgsmith

Hi sebgsmith,

Thanks for your message. Please contact us using the details on our profile page if you'd like our help with your smart meter query.

Thanks,

Jen
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
    • sebgsmith
    • By sebgsmith 4th Oct 17, 5:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sebgsmith
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:54 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:54 PM
    Yes your smart meter will just revert to a standard meter that you will need to read yourself and send meter readings to your supplier (or wait for them to send someone out to read it).

Your smart meter's IHD, the small display unit they provide you with that shows you your usage, costs etc, will usually stop working with a week or two of your switch to another supplier.

There have been some people who have found their IHD still shows some basic information, but the bottom line is, until they fit SMETS 2 smart meters, they are pretty pointless to have (IMHO).
    Originally posted by mac.d
    Thanks for taking the time to reply

It will be a smets1 since they have a large stockpile of these to use up.
    Originally posted by nic_c
    Thanks! I thought as much

Hi sebgsmith,

Thanks for your message. Please contact us using the details on our profile page if you'd like our help with your smart meter query.

Thanks,

Jen
    Originally posted by nPower
    Hi Jen, I will get in contact
    • sebgsmith
    • By sebgsmith 4th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sebgsmith
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    Evening All,

I have just sent an email to Npower, as suggested by Jen. Will post the response on here once I know more.

If anybody else wishes to add their experiences of moving from BG and having a smart meter I welcome your feedback.

Huge thanks as always!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,666Users online

Martin's Twitter