Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mokey76
    • By Mokey76 1st Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Mokey76
    Can't afford to get to work
    • 1st Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    Can't afford to get to work 1st Oct 17 at 2:55 PM
    Hi all

I've been working at the same company for around 5 1/2 years. It's 30 miles away from my home and I usually travel by train to get there. Since I started, my monthly train fare has gone up by around £50 - it is now £265. I have been struggling for the last 18 months and this month it has got to the point where I have no money to get to work but it's 16 days till pay day.

So my question is, what do I do?

I am actively looking for a new job in my home town. I don't have any other transport options - there's no one I work with that works in my home town, there is not a bus I can get instead and walking is not an option.

Where do I stand with work? If I phone them and say I can't afford to get there, what would they do??

Thank you in advance for any help or advice
Page 2
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 2nd Oct 17, 12:40 AM
    • 37,876 Posts
    • 34,283 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    If the car sharing websites don't give anything useful, is it the sort of journey you could hitch?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • andygb
    • By andygb 2nd Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    • 11,944 Posts
    • 25,799 Thanks
    andygb
    £265 to get to work and back per month is madness unless you work in London or something. Sounds like it would be cheaper to drive.
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    Four years ago, I was earning £19K and paying nearly £400 per month to travel to London. I had to give up the job because it was costing me too much.
    Sometimes you are forced into taking jobs which are not economically viable, and if you turn then down you are called workshy or lazy.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 2nd Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 10,007 Posts
    • 15,861 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    It might even be cheaper to look for Monday to Friday digs, some older person might be happy to rent their spare room for four nights a week, which would cut down all the travelling needed.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 2nd Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 8,361 Posts
    • 28,095 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I'd be surprised if you couldn't find anything on one of the lift sharing websites, if you work in the centre of the city there must be a lot of people going that way?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,810Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter