Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Northernmonkey71
    • By Northernmonkey71 1st Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Northernmonkey71
    Should I reply to a BW legal voicemail message?
    • 1st Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    Should I reply to a BW legal voicemail message? 1st Oct 17 at 12:06 PM
    Have used the search function and cannot find a specific answer to my question, of course I Have read plenty of threads relating to this organisation.

For the last few months, my wife and I receive voicemail messages on our landline stating we must contact BWL with urgency regarding a specific legal matter. They never use a specific name in these messages.

We are fortunate to be debt free, cutting our suit according to the cloth, as my dad used to say and have no known unpaid parking fines (seems that BWL have a raft of these to chase).

When we moved to this address 3 years ago, we were given a phone number by SKY; during the first 18 months of residing here we did receive a number of calls regarding an individual who clearly owed money. Having bought the property from the original owners, we know that the individual had no association with the property. Our assumption was that we had been given this person's recycled telephone number.

I have no desire to make any contact with BWL at all, having never received any letters or other written correspondence and am naturally loathe to supply them with any personal information via a telephone call.

Should my wife and I continue to ignore the calls and voicemails? Will they just give up? Does BWL fish for information with these calls? Our thought is that unless something is provided in writing, specifically naming one or both of us in relation to some (fictitious) debt, then we have nowt to worry over.

We are contemplating asking BT our current landline provider to change the number and of course we do register with the TPS, which will, I hope, resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 2nd Oct 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 2,469 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Don't believe so on a landline. Mobile yes, they fortunately don't contact via those.
    I think it depends on the phone and the provider. We have Panasonic digital landline phones (don't know which ones, but they're a few years old now) and are with BT - and we can definitely block individual incoming numbers.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 2nd Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    DoaM
    Post #14

All such technologies require the line to have Caller ID enabled; whether that's available free or as a chargeable item depends on your landline rental provider and/or contract status.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 2nd Oct 17, 10:22 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    isplumm
    if you are with sky - try http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/talk-shield?DCMP=knc-GOOGLE-nc-DTH-sky+talk+shield&gclid=Cj0KCQjwx8fOBRD7ARIsAPVq-NlMz_S5ot5xOy15efFwrTtR8DfIPv-C7JZItsMVYH_MBL3mOx5x1fMaAnpDEALw_wcB

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Northernmonkey71
    • By Northernmonkey71 3rd Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Northernmonkey71
    Check out Post four on the Newbies Sticky in the Parking Tickets Forum for all you need to know about BW Legal.

Has your vehicle or any other bills changed address in the last few months - or even couple of years? BW legal do occasionally crop-up on the debt board chasing a variety of old/bought-up debts but they are most commonly associated with private parking tickets and if you have one, any paperwork might have gone to an old addy.

Don't go replying to them by phone but do have a read of the advice in Parking Tix.

And it completely escapes me why you posted this in PVW, when the Debt board is the obvious choice..?
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Apologies if this was posted in the wrong forum section, as noted, as we have no debt, the debt board did not seem appropriate at all.

I have owned my car for 10 years, it covers around 3000 miles a year and is seldom left in car parks. Any that we have used, tickets have been bought. I did buy a small van earlier this year, is it feasible that may have had something unpaid registered against it?

We have added BWLs Leeds number to the blocked list on the landline. Received an automated voice message this very morning asking us or our legal rep to contact a London number, 'the matter is time sensitive, apparently?

Remaining confused a just a wee bit worried....don't like weird stuff kicking off....a placid and peaceful lifestyle is what we strive for....
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 3rd Oct 17, 9:26 AM
    • 545 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Apologies if this was posted in the wrong forum section, as noted, as we have no debt, the debt board did not seem appropriate at all.

I have owned my car for 10 years, it covers around 3000 miles a year and is seldom left in car parks. Any that we have used, tickets have been bought. I did buy a small van earlier this year, is it feasible that may have had something unpaid registered against it?

We have added BWLs Leeds number to the blocked list on the landline. Received an automated voice message this very morning asking us or our legal rep to contact a London number, 'the matter is time sensitive, apparently?

Remaining confused a just a wee bit worried....don't like weird stuff kicking off....a placid and peaceful lifestyle is what we strive for....
    Originally posted by Northernmonkey71

Why, a legitimate company would write would they not. You are going to educate them by speaking on the phone. Just ignore or reply once saying you want everything in writing and you are giving no details or information over the phone. If they don't like that then hard luck.

I ask for everything in writing. If they don't know where I live then that's an alarm. 99% wont and I hear no more......I refuse to answer any questions.
    • Northernmonkey71
    • By Northernmonkey71 3rd Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Northernmonkey71
    Worrying is just summat I can be prone to.... after 46 years on this planet it doesn't lessen...

I'll not be calling them. Should I answer a call, then a request for written info shall be stated, without giving our personal info away.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 3rd Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Probably PPI claim NWNF chasers.
    • Northernmonkey71
    • By Northernmonkey71 3rd Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Northernmonkey71
    Could be, although I claimed my own PPI back on a credit card years ago and have no others to claim.

Ah well, back to building Lego without a care in the world it shall have to be
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 3rd Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    DoaM
    Ah well, back to building Lego without a care in the world it shall have to be
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but ... Lego hurts like **** if you stand on it!
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Northernmonkey71
    • By Northernmonkey71 3rd Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Northernmonkey71
    Amen to that!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,625Posts Today

7,788Users online

Martin's Twitter