Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 1st Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 1,295Posts
    • 2,617Thanks
    Tygermoth
    Gardening newbie - planting out
    • 1st Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    Gardening newbie - planting out 1st Oct 17 at 10:26 AM
    Hello all!

I have a south facing but partly shaded corner garden so planted some seeds in trays for foxgloves, lupins, hollyhocks. Expecting not to succeed i did quite a few....

I thought that they would be ready at spring time but they have grown so well they are all rather large. (think a very good size salad leaf size on all)

Can i plant them out now? if they keep growing in the pots at this rate the house will be over run by spring......

think: Feed me seymore, feed me now
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
Page 1
    • Farway
    • By Farway 1st Oct 17, 2:35 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 7,722 Thanks
    Farway
    • 1st Oct 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 2:35 PM
    Yes, get them out now, ideal time, the soil is still warm, dew & mist in mornings so should save watering problems

You will need to keep any Autumn leaves from covering them, and slugs may be a problem so keep an eye open. I would use slug pellets initially until they have grown a bit more, but each to their own and you may not want to. Foxgloves & lupins seem extra tasty IME

They will of course die back and sleep over winter but will be glad of the head start come spring
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 1st Oct 17, 5:36 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 1st Oct 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 5:36 PM
    Yes, as above, they'll do fine. I like to remove foxglove flowers before they go to seed as they don't half spread. It may be worth keeping that in mind next year.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 2nd Oct 17, 6:52 AM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 2,617 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:52 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:52 AM
    Thanks everyone.

The corner is very deep, dry and shaded except from first thing and late evening so i am hoping the foxgloves spread and fill the space. Heres hoping
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • Farway
    • By Farway 2nd Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 7,722 Thanks
    Farway
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    Thanks everyone.

The corner is very deep, dry and shaded except from first thing and late evening so i am hoping the foxgloves spread and fill the space. Heres hoping
    Originally posted by Tygermoth
    They will. On Friday I replanted about 6 small foxglove plants. The only time I sowed foxgloves was when the kids were at school, over 30 years ago. Very MSE plants
    • Mrs Huggett
    • By Mrs Huggett 4th Oct 17, 10:38 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    Mrs Huggett
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:38 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:38 PM
    Can I ask you to please not use slug pellets? They do terrible harm to Hedgehogs and birds when they ingest poisoned slugs. I'm lucky in that my Hubby gives me offcuts of copper tubing and I make little borders with them around any plants that are tender. It seems to work as they get a slight electric shock from the metal when they try to cross it apparently.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 15th Oct 17, 4:54 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 2,617 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    • 15th Oct 17, 4:54 PM
    • 15th Oct 17, 4:54 PM
    I have a lovely park next to me with a family of hedgehogs - so i don't use slug pellets

Glad to report all the ones planted out survived and are already thriving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,359Posts Today

7,582Users online

Martin's Twitter