Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 30th Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 8Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    Home Insurance Fire Claim Diary
    • 30th Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    Home Insurance Fire Claim Diary 30th Sep 17 at 10:52 PM
    Day 1
    Fire at house next door.
    Police and Fire Service have to break our front door to check if there are any occupants and if the fire had spread to our house, as we were not home. Thanks to the Police and Fire Service, fortunately no one was hurt.
    Our house is full of smoke, have to open all the windows and doors, front door can be locked from inside but not from outside.
    Legal and General said that it is not an emergency as the front door can still be locked from the inside.
    ARM Locksmiths has no available replacement parts, will order for installation.
    Vacuum cleaned floor, will have to sleep with smoke smell even with bedroom windows open.
Page 2
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 9th Oct 17, 10:57 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    Day 19
    Called Cunningham Lindsey to ask Belfor to proceed with the cleaning works, no definitive answer was provided.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 9th Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 2,022 Thanks
    baza52
    if the diary is still in the past would it not be better to just post an up to date version rather than post 1 or 2 lines a day?
    If you cant write it in the evening then write it during the day and save it so you can post in the evening.

Can i ask what you hope to achieve with the diary? and more importantly why your posting it here?
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 9th Oct 17, 11:14 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    Appreciate Day 17 is lengthy but it is a key day, it will be good if thoughts can be shared.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 9th Oct 17, 11:46 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 2,022 Thanks
    baza52
    are you asking for other peoples thoughts or just stating your thoughts and sharing them?
    You have not asked anyone a question or said why you are posting a day by day account and people will be loathed to say anything as nobody knows the recent outcome, only you know this.

Perhaps if you make your intentions a bit clearer you will get more feedback.
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 10th Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    are you asking for other peoples thoughts or just stating your thoughts and sharing them?
    You have not asked anyone a question or said why you are posting a day by day account and people will be loathed to say anything as nobody knows the recent outcome, only you know this.

Perhaps if you make your intentions a bit clearer you will get more feedback.
    Originally posted by baza52

Thanks, I can accept suggestions like this.

My main question on Day 17 is if Belfor's reasoning is valid or not? Is it standard company procedure? Has anyone had any similar experiences? Thanks,
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 10th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    Day 24
    Called Cunningham Lindsey to ask Belfor to proceed with the cleaning works, no definitive answer was provided. Also asked if the gutter can be fixed now so that rain water does not fall on the side of the house.
    Called Belfor to ask when they are going to continue, they said they will call back today, but they did not.
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 10th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    Day 25
    Called Belfor again, they booked a bricks cleaning outside the house on Day 31 and Day 32, still no news on cleaning inside the house. Is this right that Belfor has not cleaned the soot inside the house after 25 days, is this industry standard?
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 10th Oct 17, 10:27 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    Day 27
    Called Belfor again, now they said they did most of the internal cleaning already on Days 17-21, I said no they have to complete the internal cleaning, Belfor said he will ask the team that went to the property and return the call, he did not.
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 10th Oct 17, 10:41 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    Day 31

Belfor visit to clean the bricks, started at the loft, but cannot start at the front bricks as the mobile crane did not arrive on time.
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 10th Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    What can I do to get Belfor to complete the internal cleaning?
    • Mungo76
    • By Mungo76 11th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Mungo76
    Complain as per the procedure in your policy booklet, go to the CEO etc.

Nice and simple, I wish to complain, my claim is taking too long, I cannot get straight answers from your appointed agents. Please resolve it or appoint someone competent to do so.

Bypass the adjusters, don't make the complaint to them.
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 11th Oct 17, 10:04 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    Complain as per the procedure in your policy booklet, go to the CEO etc.

Nice and simple, I wish to complain, my claim is taking too long, I cannot get straight answers from your appointed agents. Please resolve it or appoint someone competent to do so.

Bypass the adjusters, don't make the complaint to them.
    Originally posted by Mungo76

Thanks, been reading all these complaints to the insurers, the insurance industry has to change
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 11th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    Day 32
    Written complaint to Cunningham Lindsey as they are the Agent that has been appointed by our Insurer Legal & General which we have a home insurance policy with, Cunningham Lindsey is liable to fulfil the contractual obligation of that home insurance policy.
    We have hoped that our home insurance claim would bring our quality of life back to normal as soon as practicable, however it appears that Cunningham Lindsey has not been satisfactorily managing its third-party service providers to allow its third-party service providers to undertake the required works to bring our quality of life back to pre-fire incident quality. We are requesting Cunningham Lindsey to rectify the shortcomings of how they have managed our home insurance claim.
    Cunningham Lindsey is supposed to bring our quality of life back to normal as soon as practicable, right? Or are they supposed to do something else, am I missing something?
    • Mungo76
    • By Mungo76 12th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Mungo76
    Day 32
    Written complaint to Cunningham Lindsey as they are the Agent that has been appointed by our Insurer Legal & General which we have a home insurance policy with, Cunningham Lindsey is liable to fulfil the contractual obligation of that home insurance policy.
    We have hoped that our home insurance claim would bring our quality of life back to normal as soon as practicable, however it appears that Cunningham Lindsey has not been satisfactorily managing its third-party service providers to allow its third-party service providers to undertake the required works to bring our quality of life back to pre-fire incident quality. We are requesting Cunningham Lindsey to rectify the shortcomings of how they have managed our home insurance claim.
    Cunningham Lindsey is supposed to bring our quality of life back to normal as soon as practicable, right? Or are they supposed to do something else, am I missing something?
    Originally posted by MikeSuperZone
    As mentioned, complain to the underwriter not the adjusters. They might be the agent, but they are not who you hold the contract of insurance with.
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 13th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    It appears that Belfor are now going to resume with the cleaning, this has delayed the cleaning by a couple of weeks.

I want to ask is when Belfor decided to stop/delay the cleaning, is it industry standard or is it professional negligence?

Say for example, if Mike is a person with a wife and children living in a house with soot, will he really wait for the next-door house to be fully restored before he will clean his house, even if he doesn't know the start/completion date of the next-door house restoration, because there is a risk that Mike's house will get dirty again?
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 13th Oct 17, 10:52 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Blibble
    What is the reason Belfor are advising they progress with the internal clean? Their original (slightly spurious) reason was that next door required restoration works to be completed - unless this has already occurred, Belfor shouldn't now be proceeding by their own reasoning.

If the restoration works next door have not been completed, Belfor have needlessly delayed the claim, so therefore proceed with a complaint through the insurer (not C&L, as advised).

You mention in an earlier post about a guttering area to be repaired - how has this been damaged by the smoke?
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 13th Oct 17, 11:26 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    What is the reason Belfor are advising they progress with the internal clean? Their original (slightly spurious) reason was that next door required restoration works to be completed - unless this has already occurred, Belfor shouldn't now be proceeding by their own reasoning.

If the restoration works next door have not been completed, Belfor have needlessly delayed the claim, so therefore proceed with a complaint through the insurer (not C&L, as advised).

You mention in an earlier post about a guttering area to be repaired - how has this been damaged by the smoke?
    Originally posted by Blibble

It seems that Cunningham Lindsey intervened when I wrote to them to complain. I also got a letter from Legal and General saying that they hope that I understand the outcome in response to my complaint. Presumably, Cunningham Lindsey forwarded my complaint to Legal & General.

No, there is no info on when the next door house restoration is going to start.

That's what exactly happened, Belfor had needlessly delayed the process, as if the waiting to get a schedule is not enough.

The gutters were burned.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 14th Oct 17, 11:32 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Blibble
    I've been lurking about on here for a few months after complaining to Sunny about one of my loans. They rejected the complaint so I took it to the FO. Today the adjudicator has replied also rejecting my claim. I rolled over each month for 15 months, as soon as a direct debit was paid I borrowed more money from them to cover the gap this left. An initial £100 loan ended up being £1000 before interest. At no point during these 15 months of rolling over and borrowing more did Sunny re-asses my situation. Does this sound like it was irresponsible?
    Originally posted by saidmaoui1
    Not relevant to OP - consider posting elsewhere, possibly in Loans?
    • MikeSuperZone
    • By MikeSuperZone 16th Oct 17, 9:50 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeSuperZone
    I'm hoping that most home insurance claims would be smoother than what I am currently experiencing. I feel that the intangible damages can still be softened if there are proper measures in place to help the policy holders, I appreciate that the insurers are also running a business. But, something is not right with how the insurers/their agents treat the policy holders. I'm not sure if the Ombudsman is much help as it would just delay your claim for another 8 weeks.

Are there ideas out there on how we might be able to change the home insurance industry or at least raise awareness so that policy holders can brace themselves and not be traumatised by the claims process?

Or this forum is as far as we can go?
    • rs65
    • By rs65 16th Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    • 5,293 Posts
    • 2,510 Thanks
    rs65
    How did you go from day 25 to day 31 in 28 minutes?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,142Users online

Martin's Twitter