Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 30th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 452Posts
    • 3,100Thanks
    sstevo19
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2017
    • 30th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2017 30th Sep 17 at 7:53 PM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to pinkfluffybabe for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for June and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
    7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    March 2017
    April 2017
    May 2017
    June 2017
    July 2017
    August 2017
    September 2017
Page 2
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 2nd Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,100 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Hi ladies, can I ask who’s thinking about the beauty advent calendars?! A few go on sale soon (some already have ), and I’m trying to work out if they’re worth it for me or not…

Last year I got the M&S one, which I loved. I've not found a full breakdown of the contents list for this year yet, but I know there are a few things in there I will def use – Liquid gold, Ultrasun lip balm with spf, Formula absolute ultimate sleep cream…

I’m also very tempted by the LookFantastic one though! But that’s a lot more money… I've looked at all the contents though, and assigned a value to me for each of them (rather than the listed value) to try and dissuade myself – but it still comes out as more than the cost of the calendar

And I’ve had a look at the Amazon one too! I can’t find a full contents list for it, but I don’t think that one will be worth it for me from what I can see.
    Originally posted by fixx
    I'm tempted by them but I realised I might not use some of the products, so I've decided to treat myself to a Hotel Chocolat advent calendar instead
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 2nd Oct 17, 9:50 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sunny_money
    UU
    Gilchrist & Soames shampoo 40ml. By OH.
    Pantene shampoo 40ml.
    All travel sized shampoos will def go on the PP list when I get round to it!

Can't remember if I listed these INs or not: 2 half price Batiste dry shampoo, 1 half price Pump It Up dry shampoo.
    Last edited by sunny_money; 02-10-2017 at 10:19 PM.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 3rd Oct 17, 6:50 AM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 6,514 Thanks
    MandM90
    UU
    Gilchrist & Soames shampoo 40ml. By OH.
    Pantene shampoo 40ml.
    All travel sized shampoos will def go on the PP list when I get round to it!

Can't remember if I listed these INs or not: 2 half price Batiste dry shampoo, 1 half price Pump It Up dry shampoo.
    Originally posted by sunny_money
    I currently have hubby using travel sized deo at work, and the whole family using samples of Colgate I picked up at the dentist last year DD (9yo) pleadingly asked me where the 'big one' was, but I've hidden it!

No UU yet, though I'm really enjoying my streamlined cosmetics drawer. Just like project 333, I feel *more* glam with *less* to choose from. Last night I had a shower and properly did my whole skincare routine, slathered Keihl's body butter all over myself, put hair cream in and went to bed smelling glooooorious. Have also removed nail polish and cut/filed nails in prep for painting them, whenever I get round to it!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 3rd Oct 17, 8:04 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,100 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Two UUs this morning:

Avene Trixera Nutrition Nutri-fluid Cleanser 100ml WMBA. This was nice and gentle on my skin. It's designed for drier skins, and my skin can get really really dry in autumn/winter.

Aquafresh Complete Care Whitening Toothpaste 75ml WBA. This is my go to toothpaste. But I'm trying a different one next, so I'll repurchase this at some point in the future.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 3rd Oct 17, 10:18 AM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 31,206 Thanks
    dolly84
    fixx - I'm not bothering with an advent calendar. I did the same as you last year, I asked myself what I would actually be prepared to pay for each item (some were £0) and then added that up.

sstevo - I like the idea of the Hotel Chocolat one though - yum.

I have a uu

Dirty Works Peppermint Foot Butter - WMBA but do already have another tube as I got two when they were half price. It is nice but not amazing and I think Aqeous Cream works really well for feet.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 4th Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 8,354 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Made it through the duty frees without buying, nothing really tempted me

UU- Ponds Exfiliating Renewal Wet Wipes, 30 count. Citrus and cucumber scent. Did the job. Finally usd the wet wipe mountain up!

Pamper plan put on hold. Hotel room only has a shower and the water supply was really erratic this morning. Scalding to ice in the blink of an eye! Had to get the husband to rinse my hair over the wash basin with a glass!
    • fixx
    • By fixx 4th Oct 17, 10:26 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 6,111 Thanks
    fixx
    Two UUs:
    - Elemis frangipani monoi body oil mini. WBA - HG, love this oil, though I normally get them in some bonus deal, I've never paid full price.
    - Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Mask mini. WMB - nice, though not the best one from Elemis.

TA
    - Elemis Pro-Collagen Eye Renewal. Really irritated my eyes, made the skin red all around. I've let Elemis know and have a form from them to fill out.

So a few updates to my PP list, yay.
    PP:
    - Clinique Clarifying lotion
    - Elemis body oil, plus 2 more body lotions or oils
    - Rituals foaming shower gel
    - Clinique day moisturiser
    - Caudalie serum
    - Smashbox primer
    - Laura Geller B&B foundation
    - Elemis moisturising face mask
    - 2 more face masks
    - Batiste mini
    - Carrefour lip balm
    - Unani cleansing milk
    - Alpha-H liquid gold
    Originally posted by fixx
    And some Ins:
    - Batiste original, half price at Superdrug. Was out, necessary purchase.
    - Sure deodorant, half price at boots, almost out.
    - Nyx Cosmic metals palette
    - Nyx concealer palette

The two NYX palettes were pressies to myself when starting xmas shopping in boots during the weekend points offer. Should feel guilty, but don't at all - I looooove the eyeshadow colours, and needed new concealer.

On eyeshadow, I have quite a lot of palettes now So I've started a new little routine - every evening once I'm home, or before bed, I've started doing some experimental eye makeup. I'm getting a much better idea of how to use the colours I have, and my technique is getting better too. Played with some blue, navy and petrol green colours this evening - bit odd, but fun.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 5th Oct 17, 9:26 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,100 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU from yesterday that I had no time to post:

Impulse Charli XCX body spray 75ml WBA. I really like this scent. I'm going to move onto my other tin of Impulse to use now
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 5th Oct 17, 8:48 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sunny_money
    UU
    Aveeno body wash - 500ml
    Garnier Express eye make up remover- 125ml
    Garnier Moisture Bomb night cream - 50ml

INs
    Nivea Night cream for dry/sensitive skin
    Olay Complete Day cream SPF15 for oily/normal skin
    Nivea Eye Double effect eye make up remover
    Olay Refreshing Face wash
    Aveeno Apricot and Honey body wash (waited SO long to buy this!)
    • London baby
    • By London baby 5th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,715 Thanks
    London baby
    September and October have been slow. I haven't used up even the minis I've opened. I only have boring products to report to hide my ins

Uus:Superdrug sensitive aloe Vera hand gel : WMBA Not too drying and cheap.

Ins:
    2 x Superdrug orange self heating mask
    1 X Superdrug mineral mask
    Carmex gift set with purchase from the face masks

I did resist the M and S summer gift box which was on sale so not too bad.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 5th Oct 17, 11:27 PM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 10,598 Thanks
    asajj
    Hi everyone, I am going away tomorrow so packed some toiletries and hoping to use them. I UU'ed a couple of samples and 1 hand cream this week. Otherwise, it is a bit slow. My LF box has arrived and I have 6 INs. I will list them at some point. Hope all well.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 6th Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,100 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU today:

Gum SensiVital Mouthwash 30ml WMBA. This was nice. Not harsh at all like some mouthwashes are.

I'm off to a good start this month with UUs, let's hope it continues
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 7th Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,100 Thanks
    sstevo19
    A few INs to report:

La Roche Posay Cicaplast Mains hand cream 50ml x 2
    La Roche Posay Nutritic Levres lip balm 4.7ml
    SVR Sebiaclear SPF50 Creme 50ml
    SVR Topialyse Mains hand cream 50ml
    Bioderma Atoderm Huile de Douche shower oil 200ml

So excited to try the new things I've bought. And I've repurchased some favourites
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 7th Oct 17, 2:41 PM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 32,806 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Hello ladies! *wave*

Another UU: Sensodyne Pronamel toothpaste. WIBA? Yup - HG product!

Hope you are all well.

*Dashes out*
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• kadison
    • By kadison 7th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 55,327 Thanks
    kadison
    A rather sizeable update from me, I've had a clearout and given away what I can but certain things were either out of date by some way or had been used on my eyes so were thrown out....

GA
    Carino Firm Hold Hairspray 400ml - WNBA, hold was fab but it made my scalp itch
    Avon CC Colour Correcting Powder - Light Medium
    Avon Mark Glow On Face Illuminator 30ml
    Avon True Colour Cream-to-Powder Foundation Compact Light Nude
    Bareminerals Deluxe Skinlongevity 7.5ml
    Lancôme Teint Idole Foundation 5ml - Ivory Beige
    Lancôme Teint Idole Foundation 5ml - Rose Beige

BRAND NEW AND WILL BE SOLD
    Avon True Colour Illuminating Face Pearls
    Lancôme Blush Subtil in 021 6ml x 2
    Lancôme Matte Shaker in 378 3ml x 2
    Lancôme Sourcils Eyebrow Styler - Don't know how I never noticed this on the packaging before now, it's blonde! I'm very dark haired so no good for me, I ordered clear!

TA
    Avon Big & Daring Glimmerstick Kohl - Deep Plum
    Avon Glimmerstick Diamonds Eyeliner - Emerald Glow
    Avon Glimmerstick diamonds eyeliner - Smokey Diamond
    Avon Glimmerstick eyeliner - Galactic Green
    Avon SuperShock Gel Eyeliner Pencil - Steel
    Benefit Gimme Brow (Mini)
    Benefit Ready, Set, Brow!
    L'Oreal Cushion Foundation - 09 Beige - well out of date and the colour had gone weird
    Nude by Nature Flawless Liquid Foundation W4 Soft Sand 2ml
    Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara 3.9ml - thought this was rubbish so didn't really live up to its name!
    Urban Decay Perversion Mascara 0.5ml - Again, rubbish!

UU
    Avène Cleanance Micellar Water 400ml - Got this free as part of a Boots trial, excellent stuff and a good alternative to my Lancome cleansing water if there are no deals on that!

Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch 15ml - WDBA, HG primer!
    L'Oreal True Match Powder - WDBA, HG Powder
    YSL Touche Eclat - WNBA, it's good but I got this for £5 on a glitch, I wouldn't pay anywhere near the RRP!
    Back on the 'No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries' Bandwagon as of 8/5/17!
    I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it - Groucho Marx
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 8th Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 31,206 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have a uu

Soap & Glory Righteous Butter 200ml - this was DD's which she used half of and donated to me to finish. WMBA, lovely stuff but have more in the stash.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 8th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sunny_money
    UU
    Body Shop hand cream - 30ml

TA
    LOreal Color Richie Doutzen’s Nude- Used about 1/3 and every time I used it I was unsure about it, think it made me look like a corpse.

Neil’s Yard Purifying Palmarosa Daily Moisturiser for oil/combo skin - 100ml. 90% finished, past BB date. I really liked this but I don’t think it did much for my oily t-zone, as is the case for most products.
    • shed35
    • By shed35 8th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    shed35
    Hi

This is my first update for October:-

UU
    Boots 24 Deodorant
    Avene Cleansing Soap
    Asda Baby Angel Oil
    Palmolive Sensitive Shower Gel x 2
    Avon Suncare Sensitive Face Cream
    Avon Supreme Oil Shampoo
    Avon Premium De Luxe Gold Blush

IN
    Superdrug B Glycolic Cleansing Peel x 2
    Avon Supreme Oil Shampoo and Conditioner x 2
    Nivea Travel Size Deodorant
    Travel Size Rich Coconut Butter Cream

Total 76

PP
    To reduce my total to 70 by the end of month as I know I need to get my toiletries down for Christmas. Sorry to mention the 'C' word
    Last edited by shed35; 08-10-2017 at 5:29 PM.
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 8th Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sunny_money
    Too busy to put much thought into PP but must do at least something!

PP
    All Travel sized shampoos
    Use hand cream regularly
    Use Dior Star foundation on weekend
    Use No7 BB cream on most week days
    Body shop lip exfoliator (by end of winter)
    My real problem is make up. Need to mix it up so I can UU some old things..
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 8th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 2,295 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    A UU

Sarah Chapman Vit C serum
    PWNBA as pricy and the packaging annoyed me as can't get last bits out or see into it (that might be common to decent vit c products)

Might try something cheaper next day from TBS. Have some vit c samples to UU first.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

1,267Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin