Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 30th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Supersonos
    Opinions wanted - how to tell neighbours to shut their dogs up
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    Opinions wanted - how to tell neighbours to shut their dogs up 30th Sep 17 at 6:25 PM
    Our neighbours' dogs bark a lot. Sometimes as late as 2am, this morning we were woken at 5am. But they will bark on and off for much of the day.

We moved here just over a year ago and get on with the rest of the village, but the neighbours in question are known for being a bit odd and don't mix with the rest of us. We exchange pleasantries with them but never much more than that.

We've put up with the dogs for this long because we think it's important to not fall-out with your neighbours, but after a summer of having all our windows constantly shut and regularly being woken in the early hours, we've decided we need to say something.

Any ramblings or opnions on how best to do this gratefully received.

Letter through the door? It's quite impersonal and gutless.
    Face-to-face? There's the risk of emotion coming into it.
Page 2
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 3rd Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 11,921 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I'm starting to think responsible dog owners are a vanishing minority in this country. Should it really be so easy to own something that is potentially annoying, potentially dangerous and requires many years of financial and time commitment?

Sat at a bus stop recently and saw two dogs take a dump which their owner did not clear up; a small girl with large hoop earrings playing a ball game with her dad who was smoking, and a mother holding pushing a pram and smoking. Wish we had a Scum Police to sort this out.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 3rd Oct 17, 12:25 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    I'm starting to think responsible dog owners are a vanishing minority in this country. Should it really be so easy to own something that is potentially annoying, potentially dangerous and requires many years of financial and time commitment?
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly

You've got to wonder... I think it's probably that whilst the majority of owners are good/acceptable/passable - those who are not are more annoying and therefore more obvious to us. If I think about it, there are some wonderful dog owners in my town, and the majority I am happy to talk to and allow our dogs to interact/play as appropriate to the area. However, sadly what you end up remembering are the instances Out, Vile Jelly points to, which unfortunately I've also seen plenty of!

There is some fantastic information out there about how to best look after your dog, for the dog's sanity, owner's sanity, and society's sanity - however some people don't even consider that they are doing anything worth questioning, so they don't look for it and certainly never find it. OP's problem neighbour may well fall into this category.
    • lillie421
    • By lillie421 6th Oct 17, 12:14 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    lillie421
    The exact same thing happened to me in my house. This started about a year ago now, maybe longer. She has 2 dogs and same as you described, it was on and off all day but if someone walked past the house, they would bark. They would bark early morning and late night and at first, I was patient but it got out of hand as I work nights sometimes and so the dogs were waking me up when I was trying to sleep during the day. I went round to next doors house a few times and spoke face-to-face with her, in a polite manner. The barking would stop for a few days then continue as it used to. It got to the point where I actually had to call the council to sort this issue out and it took some time, but they did eventually sort it. I hear the dogs on an odd occasion but not half as bad as what they were.
    I suggest at first being friendly and talking to them face-to-face but if they don't take what you're saying on board, then get the your local council involved.
    Good luck!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin