Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 30th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Supersonos
    Opinions wanted - how to tell neighbours to shut their dogs up
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    Opinions wanted - how to tell neighbours to shut their dogs up 30th Sep 17 at 6:25 PM
    Our neighbours' dogs bark a lot. Sometimes as late as 2am, this morning we were woken at 5am. But they will bark on and off for much of the day.

We moved here just over a year ago and get on with the rest of the village, but the neighbours in question are known for being a bit odd and don't mix with the rest of us. We exchange pleasantries with them but never much more than that.

We've put up with the dogs for this long because we think it's important to not fall-out with your neighbours, but after a summer of having all our windows constantly shut and regularly being woken in the early hours, we've decided we need to say something.

Any ramblings or opnions on how best to do this gratefully received.

Letter through the door? It's quite impersonal and gutless.
    Face-to-face? There's the risk of emotion coming into it.
Page 1
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 30th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 5,527 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    Face to face every time, start by asking if the dogs are OK then go from there.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 30th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Supersonos
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    Face to face every time, start by asking if the dogs are OK then go from there.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    Ok - thanks. I'm worried I'll say something that could be taken badly (like the fact we're often woken between 5 and 6am). And it's still the issue of wording it.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 30th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 7,675 Posts
    • 25,812 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    I'd be very honest - perhaps go round with a bottle of wine or some flowers to show you go in an amicable mode but say you've put with the noise from the dog for a year hoping it would reduce but tell them straight that it has now driven you to the end of your tether and you really cannot stand it any longer and you are feeling constantly ill because your sleep is disrupted by the dogs barking.

But there's another issue here. You say you've only lived in the house for a year and that your next door neighbours have a difficult reputation. Did the sellers of your house not tell you about the noise from the dogs or mention they had a issue with it? It must have been going on for a long time. I can,t believe it didn!t annoy them too Why did they move? Perhaps it was the noise of the dogs which drove them out. I would contact your solicitor who did the conveyancing and complain that this was not mentioned as an issue when the house conveyancing was done.

Tell them that you don,t want to go behind their backs but you niw feel that unless there is an immediate and permanent reduction in the noise you will be making a complaint to the Council's Environment Department. I would also start to keep a daily noise diary so you have a record of how bad it is if it gets to the point of having to make a formal complaint to your council's Health & Environment Department.
    Last edited by Primrose; 01-10-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    • Batman2017
    • By Batman2017 30th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Batman2017
    • 30th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    I have recently had a similar experience. We have lived in our house for 6 years. This year a house 3 doors down was sold and is now being rented out. A family moved in with their yorkshire terrier. I've never said more than a hello to them. They didnt strike me as paticulary interested in chit chat or being 'friends'. I'm not anti-social and have quite good relations with a number of residents on my development.

Anyway the family that moved in, there dog would yap at varying times throughout the day going on for hours at some points. I think it might have been when they went out or had visitors leading them to leave the dog in the garden. After 9 or so months I just snapped and phoned the council. They sent them a letter and the noise has lessened although not completely.

Was it gutless for me to go straight to the council? Maybe, but then if i had confronted them and they had taken it badly what would my recourse be then? call the council, at which point when they recieved the letter they would of know it was me. At this point in time it could of been 1 of 9 houses that called it in. This way they could hardly take their grief out on anybody.
    • Ci bach
    • By Ci bach 30th Sep 17, 11:30 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Ci bach
    • 30th Sep 17, 11:30 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 11:30 PM
    Face to face every time

Had similar problem with neighbour and dog. Knocked and asked if dog OK as had concerns at continual howling. Owner said no one else had complained and that I should go sleep in back bedroom

Advised neighbour that I did not have to tell him what I was about to tell him - that I was going to keep a noise diary for 2 weeks. I would note day, date, time, duration of howling and how disturbance made me feel.

After 2 weeks I would make the diary available to the Noise Patrol, the Dog Warden and any other appropriate organisation/person I could think of. Diaries to be continuous if necessary

I further advised him the responsibility for resolution to the matter rested with him.

Result : although a few incidents recorded the diary did not go anywhere as all howling abated before 2 weeks had passed.

I should add that dog appeared well cared for & regularly exercised etc

Diaries - way to go! Up to you if you tell owner you are going to keep them though

CB
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 1st Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 1st Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1st Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    I agree face to face is best and to keep it calm so as not to get into an argument. Are the people in when the dogs bark? Do they work shifts or something? Just a though as could it be possible they don't even know about the barking? See what they say before deciding on next action.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 1st Oct 17, 9:47 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Supersonos
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:47 AM
    Are the people in when the dogs bark?
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Yes, they're in. They let them out and then ignore them, so the dogs are just barking to get back in (I think). Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I'm assuming they can't really hear the barking in their house and probably assume it's the same for all the neighbours.

Diaries - way to go!
    We're noting down the most annoying periods of barking (like the very late/early ones) and I've got a few videos on my phone. My worry about contacting the council is that the actual periods of barking aren't that long (15-20 mins at a time), it's more the volume. They've got 6-8 dogs (I'm not entirely sure) of various sizes, so when they all start barking it's an incredible racket.

At the moment, my wife is favouring a message on Facebook as she really doesn't want us to speak to them face to face as she thinks they'll just be rude. I'm not sure about this (we're not friends with them on FB).
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 1st Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 1,819 Thanks
    pearl123
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    I'd just send a very polite letter of complaint. I'd also state that they were welcome to pop around for a chat.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 1st Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,639 Posts
    • 1,545 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    I'd suspect this is why the previous owners of your house sold up. Any reasonable person knows that half a dozen dogs barking regularly is not acceptable. If this has been going on for over a year, then I have doubts that any neighbourly chat will make any difference.

I think I'd say nothing to the neighbours and go straight to the council, with a detailed noise diary. I can't see them going to any real effort to make it stop unless they are forced to.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 1st Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Supersonos
    I'd suspect this is why the previous owners of your house sold up. Any reasonable person knows that half a dozen dogs barking regularly is not acceptable. If this has been going on for over a year, then I have doubts that any neighbourly chat will make any difference.

I think I'd say nothing to the neighbours and go straight to the council, with a detailed noise diary. I can't see them going to any real effort to make it stop unless they are forced to.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    Very good point, thanks. The fact they don't really mix with anyone does lead us to believe they probably don't care about anyone else.
    • Batman2017
    • By Batman2017 2nd Oct 17, 2:24 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Batman2017
    keep us updated with how you get on
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 2nd Oct 17, 8:40 AM
    • 22,615 Posts
    • 58,123 Thanks
    pollypenny
    If they have so many dogs I'd go directly to environmental health at your council.

It's not normal in a domestic situation.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 2nd Oct 17, 9:27 AM
    • 665 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    If they have so many dogs I'd go directly to environmental health at your council.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I think I'd say nothing to the neighbours and go straight to the council, with a detailed noise diary.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    The first thing the council asked when I complained about a neighbour's cockerels was "have you consulted with the neighbour on this"?
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 2nd Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 9,625 Posts
    • 12,141 Thanks
    hazyjo
    At the moment, my wife is favouring a message on Facebook as she really doesn't want us to speak to them face to face as she thinks they'll just be rude. I'm not sure about this (we're not friends with them on FB).
    Originally posted by Supersonos
    Facebook? Definitely not - not if you're not actually friends with them! It's not the place to be approaching people, it's a social site. I'd find it extremely weird to receive a message from my neighbour on my own personal FB page and would probably immediately block them after saying can we talk about this in person please. Very intrusive. Besides which, the message may just go into their 'others' folder (or whatever it's called now) and you'll never know if they received it if they choose not to respond.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • beautiful_ravens
    • By beautiful_ravens 2nd Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 708 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    beautiful_ravens
    The fact they don't really mix with anyone does lead us to believe they probably don't care about anyone else.
    Originally posted by Supersonos
    Just cos someone doesnt 'mix' doesnt necessarily mean they dont GAF. I dont mix with anyone in my village where Ive lived for 10 years, and Im 99% sure I seem odd to them, but nevertheless I care about disturbing the peace of others. So might your neighbours.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 2nd Oct 17, 1:37 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    OP, as you mentioned you get on with other neighbours, is it worth asking any of them if they have a problem with the noise too? I just wonder if there may be someone locally who has a better starting relationship with them (I know you said they keep themselves to themselves) who could broach the subject in a more sympathetic way.

As a dog lover and owner I would be concerned about a pack of dogs who are barking to get back in the house, there's a bit of pack mentality going on there as I suspect one is setting off the other 5-7, but they must be in a state of distress to some extent too And if this is the case, it seems the solution to all of this is quite simple, open the bloomin' door!
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 2nd Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 2,570 Thanks
    Robisere
    Keep a diary as previously advised.
    Go to your local Council's website, find the address for Environmental Health, find the head of the department and write directly.
    Worked for us with someone who had 4 Jack Russels and never walked them. Nothing, but nothing, makes a racket like 4 JR's penned in a yard all day! They were eventully taken away and rehomed separately, according to the RSPCA.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 3rd Oct 17, 7:43 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Supersonos
    OP, as you mentioned you get on with other neighbours, is it worth asking any of them if they have a problem with the noise too?
    Originally posted by LavenderBee
    Oh yes, it annoys a lot of the neighbours! It's been discussed at length on many occasion.

keep us updated with how you get on
    Originally posted by Batman2017
    We put a very short, polite note through their door. They knocked on the door and were very nice about it. Agreed the barking is too much and is driving them mad, too.

Hopefully now something will happen.

Thanks all for the advice.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 3rd Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 457 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    BBH123
    As an aside I just can't understand them letting the dogs bark all the time.

I'm a dog lover, I have two but barking drives me to distraction, and at all hours I'd be late for work, tired , grumpy etc.

Why oh why don't people look after their animals, my two dont bark and if they do there is a reason but well trained, looked after dogs dont incessitantly bark for no reason either attention, insecurity, warning, boredom etc etc.

They need a kick up the wotsit and need to start respecting their neighbours.

In terms of what to do I'd knock on the door and say the dogs are really disturbing my sleep and enjoyment of my property and could they address it . Their response will give you an idea of what kind of people they are and if they are rude, negative, not interested then say you'll be keeping a noise Disturbance diary and sending it to the council.

I WOULD ALSO GARNER THE SUPPORT OF OTHER NEIGHBOURS AND COLLECTIVELY GET SOME ACTION. YOU CANT BE THE ONLY ONES UPSET BY THIS.
    Last edited by BBH123; 03-10-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,105Posts Today

6,864Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin