Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 30th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    • 5,348Posts
    • 11,002Thanks
    iammumtoone
    surviving on less sleep?
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    surviving on less sleep? 30th Sep 17 at 6:21 PM
    As title, any suggestions?

I am knackered every morning I am nearly sick with feeling tired

I have started a new job that is more mentally demanding, as soon as I finish I pick up ds and look after him, I am a single mum so its just me to keep an eye on him.

I don't get to sleep to gone 12 at the earlist every night. I need 8 hours always have done.

It is not me stopping me from sleeping, I can get to sleep fine, its my son who is the one who can't sleep, hence I don't get any either. Most nights I drift to the stage I am nearly asleep only to get woken by son .

I either need to adapt to less sleep or find/take something to keep me alert.

Please no suggestions on my son having a routine etc, he has, always has done. He can't switch off to sleep he won't change it is me that has to find a way round this situation.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 11 #017 - Open 1st Nov

Page 2
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 2nd Oct 17, 8:49 PM
    • 19,697 Posts
    • 31,851 Thanks
    Spendless
    You canít really catch up with sleep anyway, it doesnít work like that.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    No you can't. But you can make it that you allow yourself a time to have a cat nap. If I have a bad week's sleep during Mon-Fri, I'm not catching up on time I've missed out on, but I can give myself a 'treat' of a daytime nap on a weekend and wake up feeling better for it, instead of adding a 6th and 7th day of poor sleeping.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 2nd Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    • 16,577 Posts
    • 29,006 Thanks
    Ames
    From your other threads I think you've just had a big pay increase with the new job, would it be possible to pay for help with some things? A cleaner, laundry/ironing service, supermarket delivery... Then you won't have to get up early to try and do stuff, and will be able to sleep on a weekend when your son's at his dad's.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 2nd Oct 17, 9:54 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,002 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    From your other threads I think you've just had a big pay increase with the new job, would it be possible to pay for help with some things? A cleaner, laundry/ironing service, supermarket delivery... Then you won't have to get up early to try and do stuff, and will be able to sleep on a weekend when your son's at his dad's.
    Originally posted by Ames
    On my wage slip yes I had have a big payrise. However due to how the benefits system works in this country I am still better off but not so much, my working tax credits will stop and I will have to pay childcare.

I am thinking about a cleaner and do intend to start online supermarket shopping. I take your point its probably worse at present as things are still new and both myself and son are still finding our feet in the new routine/schedule and how to fit everything in.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 3rd Oct 17, 8:08 AM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    Sncjw
    You didn’t say how old he was orginally. Maybe do the wind down earlier than 12.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 3rd Oct 17, 8:15 PM
    • 19,697 Posts
    • 31,851 Thanks
    Spendless
    On my wage slip yes I had have a big payrise. However due to how the benefits system works in this country I am still better off but not so much, my working tax credits will stop and I will have to pay childcare.

I am thinking about a cleaner and do intend to start online supermarket shopping. I take your point its probably worse at present as things are still new and both myself and son are still finding our feet in the new routine/schedule and how to fit everything in.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Maybe put aside an amount as a one off earmarked for helping you through this transition period, and use it for things suggested to make your life easier, cleaner for a one off blitz, extra work/school clothes, something like that.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 3rd Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    maisie cat
    I have been sleeping less than 5 hours as my girl has been ill, she died yesterday and I expect that I may get more sleep once I get over it, if that ever happens.
    I found that as the cumulative sleep diminished I found the net strength got less and less and I was shattered all the time
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 3rd Oct 17, 8:42 PM
    • 22,563 Posts
    • 56,209 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    What is new is the no rest/chance for brain to relax in the daytime with my longer working hours and more demanding job (I did used to have the occasional sleep in the afternoons after work before school pick up )
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    As you know, I have every understanding for your situation. I am lucky that our son will go to sleep earlier than yours, enabling me to have my 7-8 hours of sleep that I need to feel human. I generally manage about 5 hours before the interruptions start, dozing for the last couple of hours with a definite 'ear' in case I am needed.

My recommendation to you is around the commute to/from work and lunch time. At the moment your head is probably buzzing with the new role, thinking about what needs to be done, eating your lunch whilst remembering that report you need for the afternoon ... STOP. You're not paid during these times, so why spend them thinking about work? Instead use this as 'me' time, it's the only time you're going to get on your own, so do something for you. And as rest is what you are craving, rest during this time. It doesn't have to be sleep, just calming.

So (apologies for waffling!) I suggest that you download a mindfulness app and perform a 5-10 minute exercise whilst commuting; find a quite corner/room and run through a 15 or 30 minute relaxation exercise during your lunch break. The commute refresh works for me, but then I'm on public transport and not driving! Lunchtime might work better for you. The trick is to create some breathing space for yourself, which is as good as a rest.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • tooldle
    • By tooldle 3rd Oct 17, 9:05 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    tooldle
    My only suggestion is to go to bed when you are tired. Your son might still wake you up, off and on until he is ready to sleep, but you might gain some sleep and will definitely rest.nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    I used to share an office with a colleague who napped at lunchtimes. Put an alarm on and grab a power nap.
    Working full time is tiring if you have been used to part time. Try to think of it as an adjustment for you both, rather than the change being just for you.
    Another thoughts, are there any melatonin rich foods you could try your son on.
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 4th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    I read this article recently about trying to get through the day when you're knackered.

I find that the types of foods I eat are really important in helping me stay alert when I've had next to no sleep.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 4th Oct 17, 6:04 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 3,498 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Congratulations on your new job.

I know you've got a lot on your plate (sorry for the pun...) but I wonder if an overhaul of your diet might help? Loads of fresh fruit and veg, no refined carbs, no fizzy pop or caffeine - it might make a difference.

Would you be able to grab 40 winks earlier in the evening (say if your son is watching TV)? I often do this if my grandaughter is staying with me - if she's on the floor with her back to me and I'm on the sofa, she doesn't notice... Not ideal, but you need to be in survival mode for a while I think.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,982Posts Today

7,788Users online

Martin's Twitter