Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 30th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    • 5,348Posts
    • 11,000Thanks
    iammumtoone
    surviving on less sleep?
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    surviving on less sleep? 30th Sep 17 at 6:21 PM
    As title, any suggestions?

I am knackered every morning I am nearly sick with feeling tired

I have started a new job that is more mentally demanding, as soon as I finish I pick up ds and look after him, I am a single mum so its just me to keep an eye on him.

I don't get to sleep to gone 12 at the earlist every night. I need 8 hours always have done.

It is not me stopping me from sleeping, I can get to sleep fine, its my son who is the one who can't sleep, hence I don't get any either. Most nights I drift to the stage I am nearly asleep only to get woken by son .

I either need to adapt to less sleep or find/take something to keep me alert.

Please no suggestions on my son having a routine etc, he has, always has done. He can't switch off to sleep he won't change it is me that has to find a way round this situation.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 11 #017 - Open 1st Nov

Page 1
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 30th Sep 17, 6:57 PM
    • 3,681 Posts
    • 6,416 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:57 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:57 PM
    How much sleep are you actually getting and how much sleep does your son need/get?
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 30th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 30th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    I get to sleep on average between 12.30 - 1.30. My alarm goes off at 6 and I get up at 6.30. I am well aware that is plenty of sleep for many and need to be one of those people, my question is how do you get to be once of those people?

My son goes to sleep at about the same times (maybe 10 or so minutes earlier as I fall asleep after him) and I wake him at 7. Yes he needs more sleep himself he is always tired but he is a child so can hardly take sleeping tablets!
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 30th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 3,681 Posts
    • 6,416 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 30th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    I could manage on that amount of sleep as a one-off, but wouldn't be able to sustain it over a long period of time. Is it worth asking your GP?

Tablets that keep you awake/alert tend not to be good for you long-term.
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 30th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 7,565 Posts
    • 26,535 Thanks
    Nicki
    • 30th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    I don't think you can change the amount of sleep which you need to function well as an adult and prolonged deprivation will make you feel dreadful very quickly.

You could try speaking to your GP about melatonin for your son. This isn't a sleeping tablet but it does activate the sleep hormone and is often used with kids with autism and other similar conditions to help them develop good sleep habits. It's prescription only in the UK
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 30th Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    I am not sure what a GP could do, there is no point giving me sleeping tablets as I have no trouble getting to sleep and I wouldn't want to be knocked out so I couldn't hear my son, he would panic and worry if I did not answer when he called.

This is not new to me I am used to not getting much sleep. I do get to have a lie in on the weekends which helps. What is new is the no rest/chance for brain to relax in the daytime with my longer working hours and more demanding job (I did used to have the occasional sleep in the afternoons after work before school pick up )
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 30th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    You could try speaking to your GP about melatonin for your son. This isn't a sleeping tablet but it does activate the sleep hormone and is often used with kids with autism and other similar conditions to help them develop good sleep habits. It's prescription only in the UK
    Originally posted by Nicki
    Thank you that is something I will look into.

The GP has in the past prescribed a antihistamine for him for occasional use, but it had no effect. He only took it once refused it since due to not liking the taste.

• theoretica
    • By theoretica 30th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 4,946 Posts
    • 6,171 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 30th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    Does your son need you at night or is it just the noise he makes stopping you sleeping? Would soundproofing help?

Do you really need to get up so early? Could you sort anything more the evening before for a faster morning routine for both of you?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 30th Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 30th Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    Does your son need you at night or is it just the noise he makes stopping you sleeping? Would soundproofing help?

Do you really need to get up so early? Could you sort anything more the evening before for a faster morning routine for both of you?
    Originally posted by theoretica

Good point he doesn't need me to do anything for him, he just needs reassurance, he gets scared/anxious and also bored so will try to spark up a conversation.

I need to get up to get myself ready before I have to start getting him up. Due to him not sleeping and being tired in the morning it takes 30-45 minutes of my time to get him out of bed and ready. From 7 o'clock onwards I don't do anything for myself it is all about getting him ready so I leave on time to not be late for work.

• Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 1st Oct 17, 1:16 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Litchielou
    Wondering why your son goes to sleep that late, is he just one of those people who don't need much sleep. Again I would have a chat with your GP, personally im against medication for children. But GP can refer you to a sleep clinic. Hope you get the help you need x
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 1st Oct 17, 2:48 PM
    • 4,946 Posts
    • 6,171 Thanks
    theoretica
    Are you aware of weighted blankets? Another drug free thing to consider if it would be worth trying for your son.
    Lewis Carroll
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 1st Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Are you aware of weighted blankets? Another drug free thing to consider if it would be worth trying for your son.
    Originally posted by theoretica
    Yes I have tried them thanks, he doesn't like the senstaion.

I have also tried one of those lights that turn off gradually, taking the bulb out of the light fitting, relaxation tapes etc

Apart from still sticking to a bedtime routine I have given up trying anything else, as it stresses me out too much when nothing seems to work.

It is me that needs to change my sleep pattern not him, I am able to change to what needs to be done, he isn't.

• theoretica
    • By theoretica 1st Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 4,946 Posts
    • 6,171 Thanks
    theoretica
    It is me that needs to change my sleep pattern not him, I am able to change to what needs to be done, he isn't.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    I see that, but you earlier said he isn't getting enough sleep himself to wake when he needs to. I hope you find a way so you are both less tired.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 1st Oct 17, 10:15 PM
    • 19,697 Posts
    • 31,844 Thanks
    Spendless
    On your days off (the weekends?) what happens? Does your son wake early every day, does he need you to be awake before he wakes? Does he ever sleep overnight at his Dad's place? Just wondering if you can catch up on some sleep at other times?

I think the suggestion to talk to yoir GP about melatonin is a good one.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 1st Oct 17, 10:21 PM
    • 8,749 Posts
    • 54,249 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Does your son have special needs? If so, I wonder if you could get support from others who have children with a similar condition, often there are online support groups. It could be that other parents with similar issues have successfully solved their own children's sleeping difficulties and their advice may help you.

Apologies if your child doesn't, but I thought this might be useful and something you might not have considered.

Do you mind letting us know how old your child is, an approximate age will do if you don't want to be specific, thanks.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 2nd Oct 17, 7:26 AM
    • 19,697 Posts
    • 31,844 Thanks
    Spendless
    I get to sleep on average between 12.30 - 1.30. My alarm goes off at 6 and I get up at 6.30. I am well aware that is plenty of sleep for many and need to be one of those people, my question is how do you get to be once of those people?
    This is not new to me I am used to not getting much sleep. I do get to have a lie in on the weekends which helps. What is new is the no rest/chance for brain to relax in the daytime with my longer working hours and more demanding job (I did used to have the occasional sleep in the afternoons after work before school pick up )
    I missed these 2 posts yesterday. Going from p-time work to f-time work IS more tiring and it will take a period of adjustment before you are used to it.

I am also wondering how helpful it is to you to have an alarm go off at 6am and not get up until 6.30? Are you awake during this half hour or do you nod back off? What it be helpful to set the alarm for 6.20 and get up at 6.30. They are the times I have my alarm set to as I'm unable to get up immediately I wake, but find a 10 minute coming round time sufficient. If this would work for you you're grabbing another 20 minutes there.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 2nd Oct 17, 8:06 AM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    Sncjw
    Could you put your son to bed earlier. Don’t allow him to nap late on in the day to encourage him to sleep at a more reasonable time.

Have you done a wind down routine with him so no tv or stimulation things going on around bed fine.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 2nd Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Ms Chocaholic - He is 10 he has been diagnosed with ADHA. I haven't found a busy forum to help, I am sure there are lots of Facebook groups but I don't do Facebook.

Spendless - Yes you are right I hadn't though of that, it is natural I will feel more tired with longer hours plus the job is more mentally demanding hopefully once I settle into it, this will settle down. I had the same idea about setting the alarm later, the reason I set it for 6 is every night I think I will get up then so I have half hour to get things done but that never happens so this morning I set for 6.30 got up at 6.40 and got ready quicker, that worked so an extra half hour gained

Sncjw - he has never napped in the day even when he was a toddler. I have tried him going him to bed earlier it makes no difference. All tv and electrical devices are turned off 1 hour before bed and yes we have a wind down routine, simple game coloring etc. He then is allowed to read to himself in bed before lights out. I appreciate your suggestions but I do have a bedtime routine its not that what is the problem.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 2nd Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    On your days off (the weekends?) what happens? Does your son wake early every day, does he need you to be awake before he wakes? Does he ever sleep overnight at his Dad's place? Just wondering if you can catch up on some sleep at other times?
    Originally posted by Spendless
    Yes I do get a lie in on the weekends he gets up at around 8.30.

He see his Dad every other weekend but not overnight sometimes he goes both days sometime one. I perhaps should prioritise sleep when he is with his Dad but I normally use this time to get other bits done.

• ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 2nd Oct 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    You can’t really catch up with sleep anyway, it doesn’t work like that.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

373Posts Today

1,928Users online

Martin's Twitter