Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • letraceuruk
    • By letraceuruk 30th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    letraceuruk
    Need Advice with finances: Dropping out of second year
    • 30th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    Need Advice with finances: Dropping out of second year 30th Sep 17 at 4:52 PM
    Afternoon all, i'm currently in my first term of second year, and since day 1 of first year i had never really felt like university was for me, i don't like the course, nor can i think of a course id rather do and don't like the uni atmosphere. I just generally feel unhappy at uni and i don't want to continue through 3 more years including a sandwich year for something i don't want to do.

My main concern regards finances; Because i'm leaving in second year will i be due to pay back any loans immediately i.e. maintenance loans or tuition fees? want to ensure i'm financially stable and can then go through with the procedure.

Thanks so much for the help in advance.
    Corey
Page 1
    • HalloweenJack
    • By HalloweenJack 30th Sep 17, 10:47 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    HalloweenJack
    • 30th Sep 17, 10:47 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 10:47 PM
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes

Full-time students only need to start repaying these at the earliest in the April AFTER they graduate (or leave), no matter how long their course is.
    So no, the same rules apply if you finish 1 year and leave or the entire lot.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 1st Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 36,079 Posts
    • 151,729 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    You need to check that the tuition fees will be paid if you have left the course. eg if the university makes a part charge for this year, will the SLC still pay it if you have already left?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 1st Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 30,111 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    Afternoon all, i'm currently in my first term of second year, and since day 1 of first year i had never really felt like university was for me, i don't like the course, nor can i think of a course id rather do and don't like the uni atmosphere. I just generally feel unhappy at uni and i don't want to continue through 3 more years including a sandwich year for something i don't want to do.

My main concern regards finances; Because i'm leaving in second year will i be due to pay back any loans immediately i.e. maintenance loans or tuition fees? want to ensure i'm financially stable and can then go through with the procedure.

Corey
    Originally posted by letraceuruk
    Can I ask why do you dont like the course ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • letraceuruk
    • By letraceuruk 1st Oct 17, 11:09 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    letraceuruk
    • 1st Oct 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 11:09 PM
    Initially I picked the course as it was a big hobby of mine and is something Iíd always wanted to do, upon complete if the first year my perspective had changed completely; I struggled as the course was significantly harder than I could have ever imagined even with prior knowledge on the subjects, the course just wasnít right for me, the general university experience is not for me either; Iím not the most sociable person to begin with, nor do I drink on a social basis. Iím stressed, unhappy and anxious and can not go through another 2 years of education and the placement year (full time in a job I now definitely donít want to do) so yeah, thatís why I donít like the course
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 2nd Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 2,764 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:24 PM

Corey
    Originally posted by letraceuruk
    Have a read of this https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/advice/how-dropping-out-will-affect-your-finances
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,914Posts Today

6,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin