Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WranglerWray
    • By WranglerWray 30th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    WranglerWray
    Remove gas fire, keep baxi boiler?
    • 30th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    Remove gas fire, keep baxi boiler? 30th Sep 17 at 3:19 PM
    Hey,

My house has a really old boiler system, probably from the 80s. It's a Baxi boiler with the pilot light under the fire. The fire doesn't work and is an eyesore so I would like to have it removed but keep the Baxi boiler and fit one of those wall mounted electric dealies.

My question is, is it even possible to have the gas fire removed and keep the Baxi boiler and pilot light switch? How much would you expect it to cost, and is it safe to have an electric fire where the gas fire was while the back boiler is still functional?

EDIT: I also heard that when you get someone out to remove a gas fire they will check all other gas appliances as well. Is this true? And if not what would you expect a full safety check to cost?

Cheers!
    Last edited by WranglerWray; 30-09-2017 at 3:21 PM.
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 30th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 30th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    You are not allowed to remove the gas fire of a back boiler it is part of the flue system.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 1st Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 4,007 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 1st Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    You are not allowed to remove the gas fire of a back boiler it is part of the flue system.
    Originally posted by Alex1983
    Absolutely! I once had a very cold winter living in a new home because the previous occupants had removed the fire and I couldn't get anybody to get the boiler working until the fire had been replaced. Sourcing a replacement took several months, even though at the time back boilers were common.

Now it's either a case of leaning to love the 'eyesore' fire, or shelling out for a whole new boiler setup.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 1st Oct 17, 5:42 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 1st Oct 17, 5:42 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 5:42 PM
    The OP could remove the gas fire, but it is not recommended. The gas front is connected to the boiler flue, so removing the fire allows fumes to vent in to the room when the back boiler is running.

It is NOT SAFE, so leave the gas front in place and put some money towards a condensing boiler when the Baxi finally becomes unserviceable.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 2nd Oct 17, 2:21 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    datostar
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:21 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:21 PM
    Some years ago, Baxi did market a replacement for the old Bermuda gas fire/back boiler system which still used a back boiler with a new concentric chimney flue to draw in air as well as exhausting fumes. It came with an electric fire front. I think it was rather expensive and I don't know if they still make them.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 2nd Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    They weren’t very good and very expensive and has been discontinued quite a while back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

329Posts Today

2,903Users online

Martin's Twitter