Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DrSPT
    • By DrSPT 30th Sep 17, 2:55 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 6Thanks
    DrSPT
    MyParkingCharge at Home Bargains Sheffield
    • 30th Sep 17, 2:55 PM
    MyParkingCharge at Home Bargains Sheffield 30th Sep 17 at 2:55 PM
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the advice on this forum. I have read the Newbies thread and others associated with Home Bargains and PCNs issued at retail parks, but am unclear about when to complain to the retailer.

My car received a windscreen PCN while parked at the Flora Street retail park in Sheffield. The PCN directs me to visit MyParkingCharge.co.uk, but does not include any details about the issuing PPC. I have not visited MyParkingCharge.co.uk yet.

I am not certain why the ticket was issued, the car park has no pay and display charges and the car was only parked for 15 minutes. I believe it may be because the car was parked in an area without marked spaces. A large region of the car park is not marked into spaces by white lines, but is used for parking. The car was parked next to 3 others also parked in this area at the time (I have photos), all parked in an orderly fashion. Indeed, 2 other vehicles were observed parking in this area while my car was parked. I have also returned to the car park and taken photos of the area being used for parking throughout the day. I did notice some more PCNs issued, suggesting that this is not an isolated incident. If this is the reason for the PCN, I would argue that the car park design is misleading and customers are unaware that the area in question is not for parking.

I want to complain to Home Bargains to try and have the PCN cancelled. There are several threads where this has been successful. The driver of my car was shopping at Home Bargains (bank statement supports this, although the statement date is 2 days later, due to the speed at which banks move money. I donít have the receipt, but their records would show when I made a purchase, if that was required).

Should I complain now? This is one week on, as I was away in Spain for 5 days.

Alternatively, should I wait for a NTK to arrive in the post then complain? I donít know who the PPC is as there is no info on the PCN, therefore I donít know if they are in BPA or IPC or neither.

If I complain to Home Bargains, who should I contact: visit the store and speak to the manager directly, email or post a letter? What if they claim it is not their problem, as it is a retail park with many shops and they are not the land owner?

I am working in the USA for 6 months from December so would like this sorted ASAP.

Thanks for any advice :-)
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 30th Sep 17, 4:25 PM
    • 15,898 Posts
    • 24,643 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 30th Sep 17, 4:25 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 4:25 PM
    The PPC will be either VCS or Excel. This is their relatively new MO to issue these windscreen ‘warnings’, closely followed by a NtK. Both are IPC members with no prospect of any appeal success.

Await your NtK then get stuck into the retailer, but Home Bargains have not done much in the past to help its customers. Dig in for the long haul on this one, I’m afraid.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • happybagger
    • By happybagger 30th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    happybagger
    • 30th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    The home bargains manager I spoke to last week was abrubt and arrogant.

The complaint I sent this week to their complaints email was a stock reply saying 'tough', from the ubiquitous "Hayley" (she appears with the same cut and paste response I've seen since 2014)

Any further replies sent each day have not even received a reply.

So that avenue may be fruitless.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 30th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 6,464 Posts
    • 8,275 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    The home bargains manager I spoke to last week was abrubt and arrogant.

The complaint I sent this week to their complaints email was a stock reply saying 'tough', from the ubiquitous "Hayley" (she appears with the same cut and paste response I've seen since 2014)

Any further replies sent each day have not even received a reply.

So that avenue may be fruitless.
    Originally posted by happybagger
    If Home Bargains are so arrogant and ignorant, the answer
    is simple, don't shop with them again and tell all your friends.

You must question, could Home Bargains be owned
    by Ryanair ????

Just wait now, see what happens and then return here
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • DrSPT
    • By DrSPT 2nd Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DrSPT
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    Thanks for all the replies,

The car park is for a retail park with an Aldi and Iceland also. I intend to contact them too as i did browse in these shops. Might try a social media approach too.

The way the car park has been arranged is almost to trap people into making the mistake the driver of my car made. Every time i have visited this retail park cars are parked where i did and even as i attempted to work out why i had received a PCN, cars continued to park up next to me. They must be issuing hundreds of tickets for this. That can't be right. The land owner must have to make reasonable provision to ensure it is clear where you can park and where you can't?

I also noticed that the signs for the terms and conditions for the car park say that even cancelled PCNs will incure a £10 admin fee. Are they serious?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 2nd Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 51,711 Posts
    • 65,364 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    Yes, there are some scum companies in existence that think it's OK to charge for no service, if a person cancels.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• RobinofLoxley
    • By RobinofLoxley 3rd Oct 17, 12:16 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    RobinofLoxley
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:16 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:16 AM

I want to complain to Home Bargains to try and have the PCN cancelled. There are several threads where this has been successful. The driver of my car was shopping at Home Bargains (bank statement supports this, although the statement date is 2 days later, due to the speed at which banks move money. I donít have the receipt, but their records would show when I made a purchase, if that was required).

Alternatively, should I wait for a NTK to arrive in the post then complain? I donít know who the PPC is as there is no info on the PCN, therefore I donít know if they are in BPA or IPC or neither.

If I complain to Home Bargains, who should I contact: visit the store and speak to the manager directly, email or post a letter? What if they claim it is not their problem, as it is a retail park with many shops and they are not the landowner :-)
    Originally posted by DrSPT
    You could try the Home Bargains store manager if you're local, if not email head office and complain that you were a customer of theirs, spent money there and are disgusted at being treat this way.

Happybagger post #3 hasn't had a good response but it's worth a try.

I don't think the other stores will be interested if you didn't spend any money with them.

Was there no reason given on the windscreen ticket for issuing it? Perhaps you can post up on here a scan of it (with your details removed).

VCS are notorious and IPC members. An appeal to VCS and subsequently to IAS are bound to fail.
    • DrSPT
    • By DrSPT 4th Oct 17, 8:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DrSPT
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:07 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:07 PM
    Thanks RobinofLoxley

I received my NTK today. I believe that the PCN has been issued for the reason i stated (parking in an unmarked bay, but next to a row of cars clearly forming an orderly arrangement as expected in a car park). The original windscreen ticket does not give any info about the reason for issue.

I thought that the PPC had to wait 28 days before they could ask the DVLA for my details. Maybe that is only if they claim to conform to certain rules.

I spoke to the lead sales person at Home Bargains today (most senior person available at 6.30 pm). She told me that i can just ignore the PCN and that the PPC cannot enforce it. She said that is what they had been told to say to customers. I explained that the PPC can chase you for the charge. I asked her for a statement in writing saying the PCN was cancelled, but she said it wasn't her responsibility as they do not own the land or contract the PPC. I explained that they must have some responsibility as the car park is for their customers. She invited me to speak with the manager tomorrow, which i will do.

We'll see how it goes.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 4th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 51,711 Posts
    • 65,364 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    I thought that the PPC had to wait 28 days before they could ask the DVLA for my details. Maybe that is only if they claim to conform to certain rules.
    If they haven't issued a windscreen PCN they can - and they pretend the piece of paper on your windscreen, to any normal person's mind, imitating a PCN, was not one.

I spoke to the lead sales person at Home Bargains today (most senior person available at 6.30 pm). She told me that i can just ignore the PCN and that the PPC cannot enforce it. She said that is what they had been told to say to customers. I explained that the PPC can chase you for the charge.
    Wow, that's terrible, they are setting customers up to be sued. Keep going!
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Castle
    • By Castle 4th Oct 17, 8:48 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 1,697 Thanks
    Castle
    According to "Mamalade67c" in post 14, they won in court against VCS for the same site and reason:-
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=98198
    • RobinofLoxley
    • By RobinofLoxley 4th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    RobinofLoxley
    According to "Mamalade67c" in post 14, they won in court against VCS for the same site and reason:-
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=98198
    Originally posted by Castle
    And another one

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=107883&st=60
    • RobinofLoxley
    • By RobinofLoxley 4th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    RobinofLoxley
    Was your windscreen PCN the same as this one, with a different contravention code?

Do they mention POFA or transferring the liability for the charge to you the keeper on the NTK?

If you could post a scan or photo of the NTK and windscreen ticket, that would be useful.
    • DrSPT
    • By DrSPT 4th Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DrSPT
    Wow! You guys are amazing.

Those other cases at this car park are exactly like mine. I knew they would be issuing loads of tickets. Surely if that is the case the landlord has a responsibility to alter the car park markings.

Here is the windscreen ticket and NTK.

[IMG]i63.tinypic.com/fvbk8l.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]i65.tinypic.com/21cbm1x.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]i65.tinypic.com/2z9a6mf.jpg[/IMG]
    • RobinofLoxley
    • By RobinofLoxley 4th Oct 17, 11:57 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    RobinofLoxley

• IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 5th Oct 17, 6:48 AM
    • 1,812 Posts
    • 3,202 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    Lots of Flora St tickets for parking in "unauthorized" areas though these areas are not marked. Entrapment?

They also used to have a sign at the entrance which said 10 minutes at the start to read the signs. Is it still there?
    Life's for living, get on with it rather than worrying about these. If they hassle, counter claim.

Send them that costs schedule though, 24 hours before the hearing, and file it with the court. Take with you evidence that you have sent the costs schedule to them and when.
    LoC
    • RobinofLoxley
    • By RobinofLoxley 5th Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    RobinofLoxley
    Lots of Flora St tickets for parking in "unauthorized" areas though these areas are not marked. Entrapment?

They also used to have a sign at the entrance which said 10 minutes at the start to read the signs. Is it still there?
    Originally posted by IamEmanresu
    Yep this car park looks like a massive honey pot for VCS and a blatant trap for the unwary motorist. I would avoid it altogether and go and shop somewhere else.

The entrance sign doesn't mention 10 minutes grace to read the signs.
    • DrSPT
    • By DrSPT 5th Oct 17, 9:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DrSPT
    Totally agree Robin, this is clearly a trap.

I spoke to the assistant manager of Home Bargains today. I was armed with all the info you guys provided for me about parking laws and previous issues at this car park, including the two court rulings against the PPC for PCNs issued for parking in the exact place my car was and the cases where Home Bargains have had the PPC cancel PCNs issued to their customers.

She was very helpful. She recognised the issue straight away and said she was aware of the problems with parking where my car was. I convinced her we were on the same side and she agreed to take the issue to head office in order to contact the land owner and pressure them to have the PPC cancel the PCN.

Will see how it goes. I would hope the previous court rulings in favour of the registered keepers would deter the PPC from pushing this as there is a clear legal precedent against them.
    • RobinofLoxley
    • By RobinofLoxley 10th Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    RobinofLoxley

Fake NTD's ?

These windscreen tickets issued by VCS although not having the words 'Notice to Driver' or 'Parking Charge Notice' on them, surely must be considered to be an official NTD/PCN.
    They have a serial no. and issue date on them and with the yellow & black square borders that's what they are intended to look like.

They invite the driver to the myparkingcharge.co.uk website to view the details and "take the appropriate action" which you would assume means pay the charge.

In anyone's book (including a CC Judge?) they are NTD's, in which case the PPC cannot request the keepers details until days 29 -57 from the issue date. If they are NTD's they fail to comply with POFA anyway.

If they claim they are not NTD's then VCS also fail to comply with the requirements of POFA that a NTD must be issued in non ANPR cases.

The other issue here is when the driver visits the 'myparkingcharge' website and enters the notice serial no. and the VRM. and they are invited to pay the charge by bank or credit card. Who does the payment go to? Because 'myparkingcharge' is a trading style of Excel Parking Services Ltd.

As we all know Excel Parking Services Ltd and Vehicle Control Services Ltd, although owned by the same scumbag aka SRS, are two separate companies.
    Therefore if the creditor is VCS, how can Excel take the dosh?

Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by RobinofLoxley; 10-10-2017 at 5:52 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,982Posts Today

7,676Users online

Martin's Twitter