Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 30th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 6,441Posts
    • 4,474Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    COCO peeing on sofa
    • 30th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    COCO peeing on sofa 30th Sep 17 at 2:07 PM
    Hello Pet peeps, long time no post but I think I need help with this one.

COCO (ragdoll tabby seal point) has always had a little trouble with the litter box, in that he goes through a period of urinating on a particular patch on the sofa for a few days then he ceases doing it voluntarily and goes back to the litter.

We've tried:

Moving litter to a more solitary private area this resulted in a continuous pee on the settee until it was placed back to the spot it was in in the first place.

Changing out litter type doesn't like pine wood pellets, catsan, and ones that contain antibacterial enzyme powders or baby powders in.

Vet checked and OK fit and healthy no UTI or illness.

we've tried Felliway sprays and plug ins.

Cheap litter is ok as long as its not a sandy mixed with stones type of litter Aldi one is preferred.

we don't wash out the litter tray reguarly but its emptied once he goes as he doesn't like a dirty tray, washed once twice a month is about right.

Weve tried covering the sofa with a material he dislikes but will jump up and go on it anyway.

Baby powder as he dislikes the smell of a well known branded one. he jumps up and go on it anyway.

He's doesn't care if your sat right next to him he'll go there.

He ruined a £1200 settee we had to get rid of as he was overpowering efforts to clean it.

We're vigilant with the door to living room, closing it when he isn't in there, watching him closely when we are in there and he in with us, unfortunately with having twins that are 13 and a 9 year old who are forgetful and otherwise preoccupied with eyephones leave the door open which represents an opportunity for him to do the dirty deed.

He did it yesterday, I cleaned it up dried it all out, I shut the door on the way out earlier but the nutter has discovered how to open the door now and has got in and did his peeing deed in the same spot on the same cushion I spent all day neutralising and washing cover and drying out yesterday.

I was thinking its stress, but he doesn't present with it symptoms, he is eating, drinking, sleeping in the same space as the other cats here infact he enjoys a cuddle from the other cats.
    Was thinking its a territorial issue, but shares his food and toys and goes in a tray when another goes in theirs in close proximity to another.

I'm out of idea's and I'm running out of patience although its not his fault parse its starting to feel personal.

Need some ideas on this one!
    I make spelling mistakes, its not intentional, its a condition I have please afford people who have these conditions some respect and not single out their posts for correcting mistakes.
Page 2
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 1st Oct 17, 3:27 PM
    • 6,441 Posts
    • 4,474 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    £550 pound cat.

I can get one for free in the street
    Originally posted by decbel
    didnt I mention that's how I got a multicat household.
    I make spelling mistakes, its not intentional, its a condition I have please afford people who have these conditions some respect and not single out their posts for correcting mistakes.
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 3rd Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 3,124 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    If he had peed on the sofa before surely the cushion itself is going to stink of pee and just washing the cover isn't sufficient? I think I would cover that area of the sofa in a puppy pad. It is very distressing though.

One of my old ladies has taken to poohing over the side of the litter tray (and no I can't get an enclosed one due to where I have to locate it) and it is horrible cleaning it up at least once a day, sometimes more. I have no idea why she's doing it....possibly losing her sense of spatial awareness as she gets old
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 3rd Oct 17, 5:08 PM
    • 16,145 Posts
    • 42,203 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    Have you tried a strong neutralising spray to remove all odour.This stuff got the smell of urine out of my car seat after an unfortunate accident during a vet trip.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Urine-Smell-Remover-Powered-Delightful/dp/B014C2TY2G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1507046574&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=pet+urine+odour+remover&psc=1

Otherwise I would suggest a plate of orange peel or put his food temporarily on the sofa. They won't toilet where they eat.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

The best kept secret is an open secret.

A vacuum is nature's default state.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 3rd Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 6,441 Posts
    • 4,474 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    If he had peed on the sofa before surely the cushion itself is going to stink of pee and just washing the cover isn't sufficient? I think I would cover that area of the sofa in a puppy pad. It is very distressing though.

One of my old ladies has taken to poohing over the side of the litter tray (and no I can't get an enclosed one due to where I have to locate it) and it is horrible cleaning it up at least once a day, sometimes more. I have no idea why she's doing it....possibly losing her sense of spatial awareness as she gets old
    Originally posted by ElusiveLucy
    The cushions on my sofa are the wool filling in a netting bag type, fibre fill i think its called, I wash the cover, and take the fibre fill in a bag out back, and soak it with a hose pipe, i then get neutradol powder, and oxy platinum gel, water and make up a spray bottle, saturate with spray leave for a few hours, then come back and squeeze as much water out the cushion as possible, i then place towels and tarpaulin on the kitchen floor and fire up the heating on full blast and dry it on radiator that way or leave to bake in the sun in summer. As autumn has hit us, i dont want to be doing this again this year so ill try puppy pads, i can only find the small type locally so i am ordering the larger sheets online. thanks for the tipe.
    • lisa_123
    • By lisa_123 5th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lisa_123
    We have leather sofas, so they are not ruined even if our 2 cats pee on it or scratch it
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 6th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 5,846 Posts
    • 10,857 Thanks
    GwylimT
    no this is a multi cat household theres 4 litter trays in different locations.
    Originally posted by atrixblue.-MFR-.
    I assume at most three cats then?

Have you been watching for tray blocking?
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 10th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 6,441 Posts
    • 4,474 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    I assume at most three cats then?

Have you been watching for tray blocking?
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    no 4 cats. ive been keeping an eye out for it but not seen any tray blocking going on, he did it when even when it was only him here at one point. He hasn't done it for a while now, ive been keeping the door closed and only allow him in when I am in there.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 10th Oct 17, 8:26 PM
    • 6,441 Posts
    • 4,474 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    We have leather sofas, so they are not ruined even if our 2 cats pee on it or scratch it
    Originally posted by lisa_123
    Sure about that, Most leather although resilient are sloped back so when a cat does pee it runs into the channel behind or between the cushion pads and onto felt the leather does absorb some of the urine and its smell too.
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 10th Oct 17, 9:32 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Trina90
    I'd love to know where decbel has found a free Ragdoll! I might be biased but I believe they really are worth what they're worth! I don't think I'd get any other breed now. Even though one of my boys is a bit of a pain too

Nova pees on the floor occasionly. Like you, I've exhausted all options. No idea why he does it. Only thing I can think to suggest is placing his food bowl where he's peeing for a while. I know it will be strange but this seems to have worked for Nova. Only problem is, he goes in a few places, not just one!
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000
    2016: £130,000
    Currently: £118,000
    • alex80
    • By alex80 19th Oct 17, 9:16 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    alex80
    Our 9 month old dog does this, pees on the bed, and we never see her do it, but find it later on.

The only solution seems to not let her have free run of the house, which is sad. We can only let her be free in the house when we can watch her constantly. Otherwise she has to be crated, or put outside in the back yard. Fortunately, she likes her crate, and she likes the back yard. I should also mention that the bed she has been peeing on is not the one we sleep on every night. It is in the guest bedroom. What's weird is that she could have peed on the tile floor below the bed, but no, she jumped up onto the bed and peed right on the bed. The guest bed has a vinyl cover, since we let guests sleep on it, and we want to protect the mattress from whatever they might bring in with them (such as bed bugs), so fortunately, the mattress was protected from the pee by the vinyl cover.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin