Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • z1a
    • By z1a 30th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 688Posts
    • 538Thanks
    z1a
    Stained enamel bath.
    • 30th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    Stained enamel bath. 30th Sep 17 at 1:05 PM
    Hi all, does anybody know a good way of removing stains from an enamelled cast iron bath?
    Have tried various liquid products with a scouring sponge, but not very effective.
    Reluctant to use abrasive pastes or powders as I would think that if the surface gets rough the problem would get worse. Not too bad at the moment but would like to bring it back to pristine. Colour, if it matters is pale blue.
    TIA for any help.
Page 1
    • nofoollikeold
    • By nofoollikeold 30th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    nofoollikeold
    • 30th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    What has stained the bath?

If general usage dirt, it may be stuck on with lime scale, in which case use a scale remover like Kilrock to dissolve the scale then detergent type cleaner

If its really stubborn, you could consider getting someone like RenuBath to re-enamel it, but its not cheap!
    • z1a
    • By z1a 30th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    z1a
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    What has stained the bath?

If general usage dirt, it may be stuck on with lime scale, in which case use a scale remover like Kilrock to dissolve the scale then detergent type cleaner

If its really stubborn, you could consider getting someone like RenuBath to re-enamel it, but its not cheap!
    Originally posted by nofoollikeold
    Not limescale, very soft water area, not bad enough to spend c£600 re-enamelling it.
    Looking at an old thread on here I'm going to try the cream of tartar and peroxide mix.

Thanks for suggestions.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 1st Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1,288 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    • 1st Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1st Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    We had a enamel bath in our old rental. It had stained at the previous tenants had used a cleaner that stripped a layer of the enamel off in long runs.

Scum and limescale then stained the rim always making it look manky.

Posted on here and someone suggested bio washing liquid. Filled up the bath and poured in tesco blue stripe bio clothes washing liquid and left overnight.

It was the best and easiest out of all the tip offered. worked a charm.

I don't miss that bathroom it always looked grubby however hard i cleaned it.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • z1a
    • By z1a 7th Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    z1a
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    We had a enamel bath in our old rental. It had stained at the previous tenants had used a cleaner that stripped a layer of the enamel off in long runs.

Scum and limescale then stained the rim always making it look manky.

Posted on here and someone suggested bio washing liquid. Filled up the bath and poured in tesco blue stripe bio clothes washing liquid and left overnight.

It was the best and easiest out of all the tip offered. worked a charm.

I don't miss that bathroom it always looked grubby however hard i cleaned it.
    Originally posted by Tygermoth
    THANK YOU, got a box of bio powder, put about 4" hot water in, - staining was only in bottom corners,put all the powder in (2.6KG). Bath was like new the morning after.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

671Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin