Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tom_82
    • By Tom_82 30th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tom_82
    Cat is scratching our cars
    • 30th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    Cat is scratching our cars 30th Sep 17 at 12:41 PM
    Neighbours cat is scratching our cars and she (neighbours) don't want to help at all.

Cat scratched both our cars and third (brand new) is under a cover but this cat sits on it too and play with the cover. I had enough of this.

Is there anybody with same problem and managed to resolve it ??
Page 3
    • Guineapigsqueaks
    • By Guineapigsqueaks 1st Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    Guineapigsqueaks
    My argument was that they kill lots of birds. Which they do.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/10319711/What-effect-do-cats-have-on-British-wildlife.html

Keep Smiling
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 1st Oct 17, 11:36 AM
    • 675 Posts
    • 1,527 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    I asked for a help not for comments e.g.. its not possible, etc.

Try to google how many others have the same problem so IT IS POSSIBLE!!!
    Originally posted by Tom_82
    So presumably by your logic having done the Google search and finding it is possible, you found no solution to those problems and brought it here.
    Do you not think thats your answer then, no solution!
    Get yourself one of those magic pens that sorts out scratches OR moan and moan at your neighbour till you cause a dispute and nobody likes you. Simple.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • Tom_82
    • By Tom_82 1st Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tom_82
    So presumably by your logic having done the Google search and finding it is possible, you found no solution to those problems and brought it here.
    Do you not think thats your answer then, no solution!
    Get yourself one of those magic pens that sorts out scratches OR moan and moan at your neighbour till you cause a dispute and nobody likes you. Simple.
    Originally posted by AylesburyDuck

How many stupid people are able to use a computer that was always surprised me. If somebody is !!!!ing on You what You do ? You keep smiling and You are grateful for the rain ? Magin pens ? Do You believe they really work? Do You write letters to Santa too?
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 1st Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 3,129 Posts
    • 8,700 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Buy covers for your other vehicles.

Look at the ideas suggested for cat deterrents.

Rent a suitable garage to store your minibus.

Find another forum and see if you get answers more to your liking.

Move house.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 1st Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 5,430 Posts
    • 11,481 Thanks
    catkins
    I have had about 20 cats in 30 years and quite a few of them liked laying on our car. I never noticed any cat scratches on them.

I do though notice all the scratches, dents etc from stupid ignorant drivers, especially in car parks and, not surprisingly, not one of them ever leaves any sort of note.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 1st Oct 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 4,692 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

How many stupid people are able to use a computer that was always surprised me. If somebody is !!!!ing on You what You do ? You keep smiling and You are grateful for the rain ? Magin pens ? Do You believe they really work? Do You write letters to Santa too?
    I reckon your neighbours are teaching their cats to scratch just your car.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 1st Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4,880 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    theoretica
    From the specs, this should protect your finish from cats, and other marks too. http://gyeonquartz.com/product/mohs/
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 1st Oct 17, 5:07 PM
    • 9,624 Posts
    • 12,139 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Scratches on 30-40k worth car are a big deal for me because their value is much lower.
    What's much lower value? The cat? What a ridiculous statement if that's what you mean.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • aquestionoftime
    • By aquestionoftime 1st Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    aquestionoftime
    Cats can be annoying things (I have a cat and she is a total **** at times!) but you can't train a cat like you can a dog. Cats are completely different animals. They take themselves off for hours at a time and do things that people don't like.

If a cat is doing something that you don't like spray it with water (spray, not chuck a bucket of water over it!) or make a loud noise. Or try to find a way of protecting whatever it is that the cat is damaging.

Other then that you just have to get on with your life and accept it as a minor neighbourhood annoyance.

tl;dr
    Its a car mate, get over it.
    Debt 1 £120 | Debt 2 £207 | Debt 3 £243 | Debt 4 £366 | Debt 5 £377 | Debt 6 £434 | Debt 7 £575 | Debt 8 £1444 | Debt 9 £2606

Debt Free Date December 2020
    • lauretta
    • By lauretta 1st Oct 17, 6:31 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    lauretta

Whoa! True colours coming out now... get the popcorn out people, Thomasz is losing his charm

Personally, I thought Fizz's suggestion, to teach the cat to key the car, was quote of the DAY
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 1st Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 5,948 Posts
    • 7,699 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Neighbours cat is scratching our cars and she (neighbours) don't want to help at all.

Cat scratched both our cars and third (brand new) is under a cover but this cat sits on it too and play with the cover. I had enough of this.

Is there anybody with same problem and managed to resolve it ??
    I'm not sure what you expect the neighbour to do? You could ask politely whether they would be willing to try to clip their cat's claws to see whether that helps - it might reduce the issue.

Legally, cats are classed differently from dogs and the owner is not generally legally responsible for the cat's actions, so your best bet is to make your car less attractive to the cat(s), and/or to protect it better.

Would it be possible to put a layer of padding, such as old blankets or towels, under the cover so that if the cats jump or sit on the car, their claws don't go through to damage the car?

something like a high powered 'supersoaker' type water pistol would probably discourage the cats, but of course startling them and causing them to leap off the car in a hurry may cause them to use their claws in the moment.

You could try buying some cat repellent - gel or granules and putting them on top of the cover to see if that helps, but again, consider putting extra layers under your cover so nothing soaks through or damages your car. Some products are citrus smelling and some are garlicky - not all cats will be deterred by any one kind but most will be put off by one or the other. You can also buy dried lion dung which is said to have a similar effect.
    • Pewmouse
    • By Pewmouse 2nd Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Pewmouse
    Try the sonic cat deterrents and I would also continue to use a car cover if it's not possible to garage the car. If the cats are coming over a fence to get on the car you could try the plastic spikes for the fence top, not the ones that will hurt the cats, there are ones that just make it difficult for the cat to climb over the fence.

I do sympathise with you as I'm fed up of all the local cats coming in our garden, the previous owner of our house encouraged the neighbours cats into the garden and I'm now sick of finding dead wildlife in my garden and cat mess everywhere. I've got the fence spikes but I can't go for the sonic deterrent due to me having pet rodents in the house and wild hedgehogs in the garden which I do not wish to upset.

My FIL also had his expensive sports car scratched up by the neighbours cats, while he waited for the car to cool so he could fit the cover he has for it, 2 different neighbours cats got in a fight and both ran onto the car and cause several bad scratches which has cost him a lot in repairs. He witnessed this and knows who's cat's caused it but got nothing back from complaining. His car is always covered and while it's cooling after a drive he sits outside with a water pistol now!
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 2nd Oct 17, 2:21 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 1,527 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck

Oh the irony If you are this charming with your neighbours you cant fail but to get them to understand and help.
    Whoa! True colours coming out now... get the popcorn out people, Thomasz is losing his charm

Personally, I thought Fizz's suggestion, to teach the cat to key the car, was quote of the DAY
    Originally posted by lauretta
    Wasnt it, it gets my vote now. And he can use my magic pen suggestion as a suppository!
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 2nd Oct 17, 2:25 PM
    • 8,132 Posts
    • 27,180 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Oh the irony If you are this charming with your neighbours you cant fail but to get them to understand and help.
    Originally posted by AylesburyDuck
    The cat probably scratches his car on purpose because it thinks he's a bit of a knob
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 2nd Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 1,527 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    The cat probably scratches his car on purpose because it thinks he's a bit of a knob
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    I was probably being flippant with the magic pen remark , however i thought at least with his good knowledge of Google (or not) that he may have done some research into scratch removal.
    This product seems to get excellent reviews.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Farecla-Professional-Scratch-Remover-Liquid/dp/B01NBK3KN9/ref=pd_sim_263_29?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=KVGVNMR7WK NTWBYT1BBV&th=1

Maybe Santa will bring him some, but only if he's been a good boy....................oh wait!
    • aquestionoftime
    • By aquestionoftime 2nd Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    aquestionoftime
    My FIL also had his expensive sports car scratched up by the neighbours cats
    Originally posted by Pewmouse
    Dogs are Tories, cats are Communists.

Debt 1 £120 | Debt 2 £207 | Debt 3 £243 | Debt 4 £366 | Debt 5 £377 | Debt 6 £434 | Debt 7 £575 | Debt 8 £1444 | Debt 9 £2606

Debt Free Date December 2020
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 2nd Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    MataNui
    They will only be very shallow marks in the clear coat. The sort of stuff that will polish out (or even the sort of thing you might polish in if you do a bad job of cleaning it anyway).

If you throw water at the cat your only going to make it scratch worse. If it jumps off when its ready its probably going to have its claws retracted. Sure it might leave a few minor shallow marks but if you scare the crap out of it and not only will its claws be out but its going to be tearing its way through the paintwork trying to get traction.

Additionally if you are seen throwing a bucket of water over it / mistreating it etc then you best prey nothing happens to that cat or you can bet the owners / RSPCA will see you in court over it.
    • mynameisclare
    • By mynameisclare 3rd Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    mynameisclare
    I work hard mostly 7 days a week for what ? So a cat can poo in a garden do mess where my children play and scratch (damage) my cars. Scratches on 30-40k worth car are a big deal for me because their value is much lower. If You drive £500 Ford Focus it is not a big deal for You lauretta but it it for me and I don't want to build a garage because for a minibuses it is rather hard. Looking forward for more words of wisdom...
    Maybe you wouldn't need to work 7 days a week if you got a £500 Focus instead?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,993Posts Today

6,456Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin