Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • schoey123
    • By schoey123 30th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 8Thanks
    schoey123
    Over 50's, how did you accumulate your wealth?
    • 30th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    Over 50's, how did you accumulate your wealth? 30th Sep 17 at 12:15 PM
    How did you accumulate your wealth? I don't need specifics but more general themes. I'm interested to learn if there are patterns or different circumstances, paths people take.

Thanks,
Page 6
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 7th Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 1,181 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Did I say that? No, I said that it makes having kids a whole lot easier. You a journalist by any chance?
    Originally posted by adonis10
    Being insanely rich makes a lot of things easier. (I'd imagine)
    • Parking Trouble
    • By Parking Trouble 7th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Parking Trouble
    I love these types of thread.

Been very, very lucky.
    Left school at 16 when most of my classmates went on to Uni.
    Had 3 jobs in my career. Always been n IT. Well paid from day 1.
    never had money worries. Never inherited a penny and never will.

Spent money on motor racing for while in early 20's.
    Got on the property ladder early. Lovely cottage was £26k.

Married, had a daughter, got divorced. Clean break divorce, left with a Morris Marina. Ex sold the house for £89k.

I bought my new partners flat for £60k at height of market and we moved into another property together. Then had 2 sons. Got married again. Wife took redundancy and used that to pay deposit on the house we still live in 24 years later.

Same job for last 30 years. Got to Senior management role. always enjoyed what I did. Pretty good at my job but never a high flyer. Now coasting.
    DB pension(s), SAYE, Share investment schemes. Savings decimated in 2008. Wife did whatever job she wanted, earns less now than 25 years ago. We could have been mealunaires but we've got enough and wouldn't change it. Working class kids done good.

Been pumping money into AVCs but should have started earlier.
    Got over £800k tied up in the house. Going to downsize in the next year or two but two boys in their mid-twenties.

I haven't saved enough but my only child wife will inherit a fair bit at some point.

My kids and family think I'm rich but that's not true. We'll be comfortable in retirement I hope.

Lucky generation. Very different for our kids.
    Mr Straw described whiplash as "not so much an injury, more a profitable invention of the human imagination—undiagnosable except by third-rate doctors in the pay of the claims management companies or personal injury lawyers"

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,923Posts Today

5,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin