Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 30th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 4,114Posts
    • 4,655Thanks
    sillygoose
    0 WOW
    Monarch in trouble again...
    • 30th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    0 WOW
    Monarch in trouble again... 30th Sep 17 at 12:10 PM
    Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert 2 October 2017:

Hi everyone

Please see our Monarch Airlines collapse - latest info and your rights guide and our Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback and Section 75 refunds guides.

Back to sillygoose's original post...

---

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4935154/Is-Monarch-brink-again.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/monarch-airline-may-be-close-to-collapse-6csjng90z

I used to enjoy flying Monarch, not least for the short check-in queues at some airports..

But have not touched them since a couple of years ago they decided to withdraw a route after taking bookings on it, leaving me in the lurch with booked accommodation but scratching around for flights after the good deals on others had already been sold. They were then reluctant to refund suggesting I should re-book flights with them to somewhere I didn't want to go to instead! How to lose a customer forever: Lesson #1
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 03-10-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Page 3
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 3rd Oct 17, 1:11 AM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    fifeken
    The cheapskates who don't pay the extras (meals, hold baggage, pre-booked seats etc) are being massively subsidised by those who do, and even those who pay for everything are still being subsidised by airports who pay the airline to fly there. It's time all the "hidden" incomes were scrapped and each traveller simply paid the full cost (plus a small profit). It would make it fairer for all travellers and would give the airlines a sustainable business model.
    Originally posted by Pennywise
    Not wanting a bag in the hold or airline food doesn't make someone a cheapskate. It means they travel light and don't want to eat what is offered or when. Not caring where they sit likewise.

Ryanair do all these things you seem to think are out of order and seem to have a sustainable business. It's more about offering different things for different people with different needs/requirements.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 3rd Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 7,407 Posts
    • 13,601 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I have seen some of the hot meals airlines charge £8 for and I rather get 2 sandwich meal deals for the same price.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 36,197 Posts
    • 152,981 Thanks
    silvercar
    Interesting question

For those flying back with an alternative company the CAA have organised- would the passengers be forced to use that carrier's luggage restrictions?

Monarch had 20kg hold and 10kg hand luggage allowance. If the alternative only allowed 7kg for hand luggage and theirs weighed 9kg, would the passengers be forced to put that bag into the hold?
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Interesting question and one I haven't seen an answer to anywhere. If you are in this situation please report back.

If the alternative flight is one that is laid on especially by the CAA, I can't see why there would be any change in restrictions. The new carrier would be running a flight under their livery chartered by the CAA, as opposed to running their own services.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 3rd Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 13,252 Posts
    • 17,467 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I have seen some of the hot meals airlines charge £8 for and I rather get 2 sandwich meal deals for the same price.
    I'd rather eat the sandwiches my wife makes at home.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 3rd Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,428 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    I'd rather eat the sandwiches my wife makes at home.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom

Exactly what we are doing.

Cheapskate or money saver?

In fact, the only thing which isn't yet packed, are the butties, (we're not posh enuff to call them sandwiches).

Or rich enough, either. It's a trip on very tight budgets. You don't need to be rich to have enjoyable experiences?

Can't say I'm looking forward to having already stressed pilots stressed with tax returns, though.

Ah well, at least all we stand to lose at this late stage, is our trip and probably the cost of the (very) cheap flights.
    Last edited by fredandwilma; 03-10-2017 at 4:03 PM.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 3rd Oct 17, 10:04 PM
    • 7,407 Posts
    • 13,601 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Exactly what we are doing.

Cheapskate or money saver?

In fact, the only thing which isn't yet packed, are the butties, (we're not posh enuff to call them sandwiches).

Or rich enough, either. It's a trip on very tight budgets. You don't need to be rich to have enjoyable experiences?

Can't say I'm looking forward to having already stressed pilots stressed with tax returns, though.

Ah well, at least all we stand to lose at this late stage, is our trip and probably the cost of the (very) cheap flights.
    Originally posted by fredandwilma
    What do you do for the return flight? I have made cobs from the hotel breakfast buffet as there are bread, cold meats and cheeses there. Plus I take a Danish pastry.

I buy sandwich meal deal as the cost of the drinks are expensive. For the extra cost of £1-£1.50, I get a sandwich
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 3rd Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    • 13,252 Posts
    • 17,467 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    What do you do for the return flight?
    My wife makes more sandwiches.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 4th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 7,407 Posts
    • 13,601 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Do you self cater?

My friend got her sandwiches confiscated as had a bit of pickle in them - which in the eyes of the security is a liquid.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 4th Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    • 7,414 Posts
    • 10,285 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Why can't you make your own sandwiches? (You could make some for your wife at the same time...)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 4th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 13,252 Posts
    • 17,467 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Do you self cater?
    Almost always if we are travelling short haul.

My friend got her sandwiches confiscated as had a bit of pickle in them - which in the eyes of the security is a liquid.
    She must have had a lot of pickle in them. You are allowed up to 100ml.

Pickle, mayonnaise, hummus, jam etc. We've never had a problem.

Why can't you make your own sandwiches? (You could make some for your wife at the same time...)
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    I suppose I could... if she was ill or otherwise incapacitated. They wouldn't be as good though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,666Users online

Martin's Twitter