Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 30th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,217Posts
    • 181Thanks
    littlerock
    What do you get with a Yell account?
    • 30th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    What do you get with a Yell account? 30th Sep 17 at 10:20 AM
    My sister and I have become friendly with a local shopkeeper (haberdashery fabrics etc) and would like to help him increase his customer base by using mail outs, facebook etc. He is non technical in the extreme - although he does have an ipad - bought for him - he does not use it - and a BT router for his tv service at home set up by a friend. He also has a Yell sub which he pays for but does not actively use.

I have been trying to find out what he gets for his money from Yell but am struggling. It seems to include a facebook account and a web site (neither of which he has ever used) but I cannot find out how to access these or indeed what the benefit of a Yell account are meant to be. Can anyone here help?
    Last edited by littlerock; 30-09-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Page 1
    • graham73
    • By graham73 3rd Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    graham73
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    Generally, if you're on Yell and someone searches for haberdashery in your town, he should show up. Yell tend to do quite well in the search listings on Google, click on a link and hopefully he'll be on the page that opens. You'll need to know what keywords or sections and what area he's paid for.

A haberdashery search on my home town shows Yell as the first two natural listings followed by another directory (Yelp) and it's not until halfway down the page do you see the first non-directory entry. This isn't always the case of course.

Depending on how much he pays, he may also have the option to put details about his business on Yell. You can add photos and write about yourself, a small webpage sort of thing.
    Last edited by graham73; 03-10-2017 at 1:04 PM.
    • directdebiter
    • By directdebiter 3rd Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    directdebiter
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    Yell have an aggressive sales team who give you a free listing and then try and oversell you lots of extras about being found. My experience is Limited return.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 4th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,424 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    My wife (driving instructor) was with Yell for a while and they promise the earth and deliver poorly. Although she stated she only worked a particular area all the yell enquiries were from miles away as they couldn't do what they promised so we dropped them.

After we dropped them we were inundated with sales calls from their team telling us they could do what we wanted even though they had failed to do this after our previous complaints.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,751Posts Today

6,903Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin