Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aefb2017
    • By Aefb2017 30th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Aefb2017
    Ruined pavement!?
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    Ruined pavement!? 30th Sep 17 at 8:00 AM
    To cut a long and boring story short, I got white paint on the tarmac pavement outside my house. I wanted to do something about it quickly as I know from experience that just leaving it is not helpful.

Last night I decided to use white spirit on the paint in an attempt to lift it. I applied it very liberally, and it wasnt until I got inside the house I noticed the spirit in the tub and my brush had turned a very dark brown colour, presumably from the tarmac! I panicked and threw hot soapy water over everything.

Looked outside this morning and sadly there are now gigantic black patches all over the pavement, it looks ridiculous! The pavement is about 12 years old so is quite light and the stains where the spirit was are jet black.

Does anyone have any idea how to make it look less ridiculous? (I know, Iím an idiot) Or will it just gradually lighten or weather with the pavement?
Page 1
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 30th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 2,635 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    Just leave it, you're right, it'll weather in and vanish itself.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 30th Sep 17, 9:45 AM
    • 757 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 30th Sep 17, 9:45 AM
    • 30th Sep 17, 9:45 AM
    Paint some more of the pavement black using old style black tyre paint, a block of black to make it look like its been resurfaced.

• Aefb2017
    • By Aefb2017 30th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aefb2017
    • 30th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    Thanks both, I swear it looks worse this afternoon! Am I entitled to paint the pavement black when presumably it is owned by the council and not me? (Ironic I am asking this I know, given that that didn’t stop me using spirit on it )
    • missprice
    • By missprice 30th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 97,665 Thanks
    missprice
    • 30th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    Thanks both, I swear it looks worse this afternoon! Am I entitled to paint the pavement black when presumably it is owned by the council and not me? (Ironic I am asking this I know, given that that didn’t stop me using spirit on it )
    Originally posted by Aefb2017

I would say no, on the slim off chance that someone got paint all over them self.
    Honestly in two or three weeks it will all be one faded colour. I can't understand why you care so much

ETA if you use paint it could look worse as it weathers and peels off
    84 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • Aefb2017
    • By Aefb2017 30th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aefb2017
    • 30th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    Thereís always one rude comment isnít there! Why I care so much isnít relevant
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 30th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 30th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    Yes there is, although I suspect your thinking of a different comment to me.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • societys child
    • By societys child 30th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 4,893 Posts
    • 5,333 Thanks
    societys child
    • 30th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    . . . . Wow

• patman99
    • By patman99 30th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 8,118 Posts
    • 9,540 Thanks
    patman99
    • 30th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    I would not of even bothered to clean the paint off in the first place.

Anyway, this reminds me of the time the painters painting our private estate put some half empty cans of paint by the side of the bin store for safe keeping.

The bin men put them in their truck and left a trail of paint all g our road and then out onto the public road.

We had the painters paint over the paint stains on our road, but it looked just as bad, so back they came and proceeded to paint the entire road with bitumen paint.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £759.94/ £1000 (that's 75.49%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 30th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    It will weather and fade fairly quickly.

On my drive I had scrapes from a skip that was incorrectly positioned and had to be chain dragged.

6 months later they'd gone.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 30th Sep 17, 7:44 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Thanks both, I swear it looks worse this afternoon! Am I entitled to paint the pavement black when presumably it is owned by the council and not me? (Ironic I am asking this I know, given that that didnít stop me using spirit on it )
    I have planted oak saplings in my local area, and I plan to plant some more. I am told it against the law, I think the police have got better things to do.

• patman99
    • By patman99 1st Oct 17, 11:36 AM
    • 8,118 Posts
    • 9,540 Thanks
    patman99
    I wouldn't worry. The local council will soon remove the saplings if they don't want them there.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £759.94/ £1000 (that's 75.49%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • minicooper272
    • By minicooper272 1st Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 2,120 Posts
    • 16,667 Thanks
    minicooper272
    I have planted oak saplings in my local area, and I plan to plant some more. I am told it against the law, I think the police have got better things to do.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    No, police aren't likely to be bothered, but you might receive a bill for their removal!

You should make sure there were no pipes running under where you planted said saplings too. Roots can damage pipes and cause gas leaks/water leaks/flooding.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 1st Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 3,277 Posts
    • 6,034 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Thanks both, I swear it looks worse this afternoon! Am I entitled to paint the pavement black when presumably it is owned by the council and not me? (Ironic I am asking this I know, given that that didnít stop me using spirit on it )
    No, it is unlawful for an unauthorised person to 'paint' a public highway (or interfere in any way with the surface). The issue which would be of greatest concern to the highway authority would be that tarmac has an 'open' structure which gives it a slip resistant quality. Most paint is not only unlikely to stick to tarmac, the effect it will have is to fill and clog the holes which provide slip resistance - meaning the first time it rains (or is icy) there's a very good chance of someone slipping and taking legal action against the council, who in turn will want to find out who put paint on their footway.

There is a specific offence (Highways Act 1980, S131(c)) which is the one the Highway Authority (not the police) would most likely use to take action against you. In some areas these offences can now be dealt with by a fixed penalty notice rather than prosecution, so some authorities are increasingly interested in enforcement. (££££ )

No, police aren't likely to be bothered, but you might receive a bill for their removal!

You should make sure there were no pipes running under where you planted said saplings too. Roots can damage pipes and cause gas leaks/water leaks/flooding.
    Originally posted by minicooper272
    It is very unlikely that the police would get involved, but they are not the primary enforcement authority in this situation. It is the Highway Authority which would take action if they felt it necessary or worthwhile.

It is an offence for an individual to plant a tree in the public highway without the consent of the Highway Authority and without a licence issued by them. It is also an offence to dig the hole (even in a verge) necessary to plant the tree. (Sections 131 & 142). The Highway Authority would have a legal duty to remove trees 'illegally' planted in certain circumstances.

I wouldn't attempt to plant a tree in the highway without permission - not only because of the risk of prosecution (it does happen) - but more importantly due to the risk of either damaging equipment buried in the verge (a lot of expensive to repair telecoms equipment is very shallow) or that the tree planting causes someone to be injured (perhaps unlikely, but very expensive if it does happen). The Highway Authority and organisations authorised to plant trees are protected against such risks, but guerilla gardeners aren't, and it is a risky practice in our increasingly litigious society.

Highway Authorities also have a duty to manage the trees on the public highway and many keep accurate records of what trees they have so they can ensure they comply with their public protection duty. If your Authority is one of those they are unlikely to take kindly to trees suddenly appearing out of nowhere... it is a maintenance headache and messes their systems up
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Cats are great
    • By Cats are great 2nd Oct 17, 10:15 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Cats are great
    Why not try jet washing it with a detergent additive?
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 2nd Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    • 3,277 Posts
    • 6,034 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Why not try jet washing it with a detergent additive?
    Originally posted by Cats are great
    The damage has already been done, doing anything else - especially jet washing - is only going to make the situation worse.

The solvents from the white spirit have affected the binder in the tarmac. The only thing to do is to let the solvents work their way back out. Jet washing risks dislodging parts of the now weakened tarmac.

As others have said, the best thing is to leave it alone and allow nature to take its course - it will hopefully fade to blend in with the surrounding areas.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,103Posts Today

7,909Users online

Martin's Twitter