Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Puddylove
    • By Puddylove 29th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 431Posts
    • 690Thanks
    Puddylove
    Adding to USS pension - or save elsewhere?
    • 29th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    Adding to USS pension - or save elsewhere? 29th Sep 17 at 10:54 PM
    Hi all
    I posted about pensions a little while ago, and you were all incredibly helpful, so thank you.
    Now I want to put a little extra aside, and was poised to pay 1% more into the USS Investment Builder when I received an email telling me that USS are seeking further contributions (again) either from employees or employers, to rectify a shortfall.
    Should I be worried?
    Would I be better putting money into something like VLS instead? I was thinking of just upping it every year I get a pay rise.
    I'm a higher rate tax payer, like my work and plan to retire no sooner than 15 years from now if not later (health permitting, of course).
    I'd welcome your thoughts.
Page 1
    • Southend1
    • By Southend1 1st Oct 17, 1:08 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Southend1
    • 1st Oct 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 1:08 PM
    Your additional contributions to a DC pot (Investment Builder) are separate from the DB section which is in deficit. As such they are unaffected by the ongoing consultations around increasing contributions or reducing benefits for the DB section. So nothing to worry about in that regard.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 1st Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 1st Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    My understanding is that USS will match the first 1% of MPAVCs so definitely, yes. You will double your investment immediately.
    • Puddylove
    • By Puddylove 1st Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Puddylove
    • 1st Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    Dunroving - yes, that's true but I'm already doing that 1%, and unfortunately the employer won't match any additional percentage I pay in.

Southend1 - that's a good point, so adding to my investment builder will be unaffected.

I suppose if i put money into a VLS S and S ISA instead. I'd have more flexibility, but is that worth losing the tax back?
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 2nd Oct 17, 12:29 AM
    • 9,665 Posts
    • 6,422 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:29 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:29 AM
    Do you contribute by salary sacrifice?

If so, do you harvest any of the employer's forgone National Insurance contribution?
    • Puddylove
    • By Puddylove 2nd Oct 17, 12:42 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Puddylove
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:42 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:42 AM
    I do salary sacrifice, yes, but I don't know what you mean by harvesting the employer's NI contributions?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 2nd Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    • 7,388 Posts
    • 7,915 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    Dunroving - yes, that's true but I'm already doing that 1%, and unfortunately the employer won't match any additional percentage I pay in.

Southend1 - that's a good point, so adding to my investment builder will be unaffected.

I suppose if i put money into a VLS S and S ISA instead. I'd have more flexibility, but is that worth losing the tax back?
    Originally posted by Puddylove
    You could get the tax break by investing into a SIPP. Desmt need to be an ISA.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 2nd Oct 17, 12:34 PM
    • 9,665 Posts
    • 6,422 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:34 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:34 PM
    I do salary sacrifice, yes, but I don't know what you mean by harvesting the employer's NI contributions?
    Originally posted by Puddylove
    Salary sacrifice saves you making your own employee contribution on the sacrificed salary, and it also saves the employer his. Some employers direct part of their savings into their employees' pensions.
    • Puddylove
    • By Puddylove 10th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Puddylove
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the help I've been given here.
    I decided to increase my pension contributions by salary sacrifice, and also to open a Stocks and Shares ISA.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,672Posts Today

7,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin