Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pinkangel
    • By Pinkangel 29th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Pinkangel
    Painting a wallpapered ceiling
    • 29th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    Painting a wallpapered ceiling 29th Sep 17 at 9:44 PM
    Hi

One of our bedrooms has a ceiling covered in textured wallpaper. We can't afford to do anything with this but would like to freshen it up, so are planning to put a new coat of white paint on it.

I've never painted a wallpapered ceiling before, and wondered if it could cause any problems. Is it likely to loosen the paper and make it peel off? The paper currently looks to be in decent condition, and I don't think it will have had many coats of paint prior to this one.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 29th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 29th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    Shouldn't be a problem.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 29th Sep 17, 11:31 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,861 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:31 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:31 PM
    If it is anaglypta paper, then it is designed to be painted.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 30th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    • 3,436 Posts
    • 7,585 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    Strip the paper, rub down / fill any rough bits, then paint it. It's all manual labour, no real cost. If it's to bad it may need skimming, of course.

The next owners will thank you. Whatever you do, don't put artex swirls up in its place.

I live in a house wher the ceilings are either painted woodchip or artex. Sorting it out, one room at a time, is hard work!
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 30th Sep 17, 8:37 PM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 5,067 Thanks
    societys child
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:37 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 8:37 PM
    Strip the paper, rub down / fill any rough bits, then paint it. It's all manual labour, no real cost.
    . . . but time consuming.

If it's to bad it may need skimming, of course.
    Yeah.

A coat of paint it is then.

• Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 1st Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    • 6,229 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    Its unlikely to come off but if areas do come off they can be put back with wall paper paste.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • Pinkangel
    • By Pinkangel 1st Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Pinkangel
    • 1st Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. In light of what's been said we're thinking we'll risk it. The alternative is to leave the yellowing paper as it is, which isn't very appealing. We would love to have it over-boarded and skimmed, but we've got a baby who will very soon need to move into that bedroom, so the time pressure coupled with a lack of funds mean we're stuck with a textured ceiling! Hopefully by the end of the process it will at least be a fresh white textured ceiling!
    • sn1987a
    • By sn1987a 1st Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    sn1987a
    • 1st Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    I am in the same situation. The wallpaper is on the ceiling only... Impossible for us to remove it. I found a paint for painting over wallpaper. I am going to try one coat of this paint before painting it over. I read that the first coat should be with an oil based paint so the wallpaper wouldn't bubble.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 1st Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 1st Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    A coat of paint it is then.
    Originally posted by societys child
    I agree. The chances are a textured wallpaper was put up to hide something unpleasant underneath, so stripping the paper off might open yourself up to considerable work repairing previous nasties... at which point skimming is the only realistic option.

I've never had a problem painting textured wallpapered ceilings, if it has already had at least one coat of paint then the chances of a problem are very slim. If you do get any peeling my choice would be to use some PVA (border adhesive) to reattach. This may cause future decorators to curse you, but if the priority is to get it looking good now then I would be less concerned about the future

The one thing to be careful about is if you decide to do more than one coat then make absolutely sure the first is fully dried before doing the second. Any dampness from the first coat can make the paper peel when you apply the second. Also, if the ceiling is yellow due to people smoking in the room then one coat won't be enough, so don't be too disappointed if any yellowing remains after coat one.

I don't think you will need 'special' paint. You only really need that if the wallpaper has a finish which rejects a water-based paint and makes it form globules. Make sure you use a non-drip or 'solid' paint though, and don't be tempted to add any water to it.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Giddypip
    • By Giddypip 1st Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Giddypip
    My stepfather papered all of the ceilings in my mum's house about 35 years ago, numerous coats of paint later they are still going strong. A leak from the bathroom loosened the dining room ceiling which was soon fixed with a bit of wallpaper paste. If I had the skill, I'd paper all of mine as I dislike flat ceilings.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 1st Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,861 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Strip the paper, rub down / fill any rough bits, then paint it. It's all manual labour, no real cost.
    Originally posted by societys child
    Also a real pain to do if working off a stepladder if one is even slightly vertically challenged. For this type of work, a small scaffold tower is an advantage (you could run a plank between two ladders, but it isn't particularly safe).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 2nd Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 4,811 Thanks
    Biggles
    I am in the same situation. The wallpaper is on the ceiling only... Impossible for us to remove it. I found a paint for painting over wallpaper. I am going to try one coat of this paint before painting it over. I read that the first coat should be with an oil based paint so the wallpaper wouldn't bubble.
    Originally posted by sn1987a
    In theory it can sometimes bubble a little in places if it wasn't applied too well in the first place, but it won't be really noticeable and, as Norman Castle said, a little wallpaper paste will fix it. But buying special paint is an unnecessary extra expense, and emulsion might not go too well over oil-based paint afterwards. I just use the same emulsion as the walls, quick, easy and cheap.
    • frankie
    • By frankie 2nd Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    frankie
    I've recently done a textured wallpaper ceiling, couple of dabs of Zinser 123 where it was badly stained, fixed some seams with caulk and pressed with seam roller, applied 2 coats of white matt. Jobs a good un. No bubbling.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 2nd Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 3,436 Posts
    • 7,585 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Also a real pain to do if working off a stepladder if one is even slightly vertically challenged. For this type of work, a small scaffold tower is an advantage (you could run a plank between two ladders, but it isn't particularly safe).
    Originally posted by FreeBear
    I used a "step up platform" from Screwfix to strip the paper on my ceilings, was about £30. My ceilings are only the modern 8' height though, it wouldn't be any good in a house from the Regency period.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • anto164
    • By anto164 2nd Oct 17, 1:47 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    anto164
    I thought i could do a simple, strip wallpaper, sand and paint job. On removing the wallpaper from the ceiling revealed a multitude of cracks, loose plaster, and other holes which the paper was covering up. Needed to give the ceiling a complete skim in the end.

Lesson learned - Expect the worst when removing paper, and you won't be shocked. Don't think it'll be as simple as remove the paper and paint - you may need more work than that!!!

But other than that, if your paper is fine and you're happy with it, go ahead and paint. Just take your time with a roller so you don't splatter paint EVERYWHERE!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,542Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin