Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 29th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    • 2,369Posts
    • 263Thanks
    britishboy
    Paid for parking, still got a ticket from NCP!! Luton
    • 29th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    Paid for parking, still got a ticket from NCP!! Luton 29th Sep 17 at 6:34 PM
    Right, here goes. My partner parked in an NCP car park in Luton 4 weekends ago, where she parks 6 saturdays of the year. She pulled up at the entrance, lady gave her a ticket and asked her to park along the rear wall. My partner done her bits (visited hairdressers) and returned to her car, drove to the window, slowed, gave her the ticket and paid the monies asked, she thinks £4.80. She didnt ask for a reciept as she doesnt claim it back or anything.

Its a very crude car park, gravel on a bit of waste ground, just off the main road opposite an old delerict nightclub

Now, 4 weeks later we've recieved a fine from NCP for 'parking without payment of the parking charge'.

Its a £100 fine, reduced to £60 if paid in 14 days. What can we do please???
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 29th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    • 16,923 Posts
    • 21,032 Thanks
    Redx
    • 29th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread and appeal it

in future, GET A RECEIPT and keep it for a minimum of 3 months

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2017/05/30/throwing-pay-display-ticket-away-use-cost-100/
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 29th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 51,766 Posts
    • 65,409 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 29th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    I think 'NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST' is in invisible ink today...
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• gendarme
    • By gendarme 30th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gendarme
    • 30th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    Right, here goes. My partner parked in an NCP car park in Luton 4 weekends ago, where she parks 6 saturdays of the year. She pulled up at the entrance, lady gave her a ticket and asked her to park along the rear wall. My partner done her bits (visited hairdressers) and returned to her car, drove to the window, slowed, gave her the ticket and paid the monies asked, she thinks £4.80. She didnt ask for a reciept as she doesnt claim it back or anything.

Its a very crude car park, gravel on a bit of waste ground, just off the main road opposite an old delerict nightclub

Now, 4 weeks later we've recieved a fine from NCP for 'parking without payment of the parking charge'.

Its a £100 fine, reduced to £60 if paid in 14 days. What can we do please???
    Originally posted by britishboy
    That sounds like the car park in Dunstable Place. If so, it's always manned so getting out without paying is virtually impossible unless doing so whilst the attendant was at the loo.
    Last edited by gendarme; 30-09-2017 at 2:47 PM.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 30th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 30th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    That sounds like the car park in Dunstable Place. If so, it's always manned so getting out without paying is virtually impossible unless doing so whilst the attendant was at the loo.
    Originally posted by gendarme
    Hi
    It was my partner driving, it was Dunstable Place, she parks there every 2 months as it's close to a salon she goes to there. Do you think we have much chance if we appeal it?

Am thinking of asking how many other people have had the same happen there, as my gf says there is always a woman (the same one, a petite Eastern European woman maybe in her 50's)
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st Oct 17, 1:29 AM
    • 51,766 Posts
    • 65,409 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 1st Oct 17, 1:29 AM
    • 1st Oct 17, 1:29 AM
    Do you think we have much chance if we appeal it?
    Nothing personal re 'gendarme', but you are asking a newbie with 4 posts to their name since 2014!

You've already had advice from myself and another regular, Redx. You will likely win at POPLA, no idea on earth why you are in doubt as to having a 'chance' if you appeal AS KEEPER NOT DRIVER.

Have you not yet read the NEWBIES thread and sussed how to appeal, and when?
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• britishboy
    • By britishboy 2nd Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    Sorry Coupon-Mad, I only asked gendarme as they knew of the car park, so i assumed/hoped they'd had similar experience and may of appealed one too

Have read the FAQ for newbies and its been a massive help, am just adding the final touches to my letter. Obviously we do not have any evidence (reciept or ticket), is it worth descriving the parking attendant in the letter?
    Also, my partner has been told shortly after her parking charge, the car park introduced the 'enter your registration' pay and display machines
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 2nd Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    • 51,766 Posts
    • 65,409 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    Yes, since it sounds like the attendant might have/allegedly pocketed the money(?!) describe the lady and how much was paid, to the best of the recollection of the occupants of the car.

Don't say 'I'.

Just a vague 'the occupants of the car can recall the event and there was no contravention because they...blah blah'.

Make sure the registered keeper (recipient of the letter) is the person appealing.

Was there never a windscreen PCN? Does the letter (4 weeks later) suggest there was?

• britishboy
    • By britishboy 2nd Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    Yes, since it sounds like the attendant might have/allegedly pocketed the money(?!) describe the lady and how much was paid, to the best of the recollection of the occupants of the car.
    Ok thanks, the owner of the Salon is prepared to back up my partners story if needed too, as she remembers the day as the attendant actually told the salon owner "your client is already at your shop, she just parked"
    Don't say 'I'.
    Ok, thanks for reminder
    Just a vague 'the occupants of the car can recall the event and there was no contravention because they...blah blah'.
    Yup
    Make sure the registered keeper (recipient of the letter) is the person appealing.
    It will be, its me
    Was there never a windscreen PCN? Does the letter (4 weeks later) suggest there was?
    No windscreen PCN at all, just a letter dated 27/09/17, for alleged offence on 02/09/17. They have 2 x CCTV pics of my number plate entering and leaving at the correct times
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Please see above in red
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 2nd Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 51,766 Posts
    • 65,409 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Ok thanks, the owner of the Salon is prepared to back up my partners story if needed too, as she remembers the day as the attendant actually told the salon owner "your client is already at your shop, she just parked"
    Great, this could be included at POPLA stage if the salon owner is happy to sign and date a statement on headed notepaper confirming that.

No windscreen PCN at all, just a letter dated 27/09/17, for alleged offence on 02/09/17. They have 2 x CCTV pics of my number plate entering and leaving at the correct times
    Even better - you can't lose at POPLA, as a keeper who wasn't driving, who has received a non-POFA NTK more than 14 days after the event!

• britishboy
    • By britishboy 2nd Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    britishboy
    Thanks so much Coupon Mad, you are a life saver! Should i state that last bit in the letter, about recieving it more than 14 days after the event?
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 2nd Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 7,422 Posts
    • 6,471 Thanks
    The Deep
    Personally I would ignore. If it got to court it would be your word against that of a PPC. NCP has previous.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/11376805/MPs-fury-over-motorists-fined-for-putting-their-parking-receipts-in-the-wrong-place-on-the-dashboard.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3892978/Driver-23-fined-100-seven-hour-stay-car-park-says-never-entered.html
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 2nd Oct 17, 11:44 AM
    • 51,766 Posts
    • 65,409 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Thanks so much Coupon Mad, you are a life saver! Should i state that last bit in the letter, about recieving it more than 14 days after the event?
    Yes you can, just always being careful NEVER to accidentally write something enthusiastic, implying who parked!

• britishboy
    • By britishboy 2nd Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    britishboy
    Yes you can, just always being careful NEVER to accidentally write something enthusiastic, implying who parked!
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Thanks again Coupod Mad, ill just refer to as 'the driver' shall I?
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 15th Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    britishboy
    One last question everyone, ive contested it by the NCP website, am assuming if or when they decide to not persue it, they probably wont even have the decency to tell me?)
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 16,923 Posts
    • 21,032 Thanks
    Redx
    the BPA CoP says they have 14 days to acknowledge and 35 days to make a decision, so in theory ..............

in practice , who knows ??

they are a law unto themselves
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 26th Oct 17, 3:36 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    britishboy
    Just a quick update everyone, got a letter from the useless tw@ts at NCP saying they've cancelled the ticket/fine

Wasnt expecting it from them, so a small bonus. Still thieving idiots though...
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 26th Oct 17, 3:41 PM
    • 7,738 Posts
    • 8,005 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Just a quick update everyone, got a letter from the useless tw@ts at NCP saying they've cancelled the ticket/fine

Wasnt expecting it from them, so a small bonus. Still thieving idiots though...
    NO , the car park attendant was the thieving idiot , however he was cought out pocketing the money
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,040Posts Today

7,034Users online

Martin's Twitter