Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smallfry1
    • By Smallfry1 29th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Smallfry1
    New job description
    • 29th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    New job description 29th Sep 17 at 5:11 PM
    My employer has issued new job descriptions to all staff. They say it is so all staff doing the same job have the same job description. I have refused to sign as I'm not happy with a clause that says I must do any reasonable duty requested. I feel this gives them too much power and could mean I have to work outside my normal hours. They are saying they need to take further legal advice as I have refused this. What can they do? Can they sack me? I have worked there for just over 2 years.
Page 2
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 30th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 15,943 Posts
    • 39,733 Thanks
    FBaby
    Does it make any difference that I have worked the same hours every week for the last six months?
    No it doesn't. Companies can change job description/hours work and will be able to defend the decision in court if they can show that it was for the need of the business.

The fact you're on 0 hours mean you do not have set hours, so you would have no case to defend. The fact that they have accommodate you until now is irrelevant.

Totally sympathise about concerns over working hours, I too wouldn't want to work unsociable hours, but in that case, I wouldn't have stopped looking for a job with set hours where the business only operates from 9 to 5 M to F.
    • Smallfry1
    • By Smallfry1 2nd Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Smallfry1
    Thanks K you for all your replies. I can see I was not being reasonable and have spoken to my manager and signed the job description. I hope the my indecision will not be held against me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,517Posts Today

9,363Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin