Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • xyz111
    • By xyz111 29th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 2Thanks
    xyz111
    Getting rid of tenancy
    • 29th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    Getting rid of tenancy 29th Sep 17 at 4:24 PM
    hi
    i rented a single room and had to pay holding down deposit that came with condition that i can terminate at any time but the later contract that said that we will have to find a replacement. now landlord is not accepting this and also the room does not have standards which were sold to us ie standards of cleanliness, broadband etc. they have not put the deposit to protection scheme either, what to do. thanks.
Page 2
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 2nd Oct 17, 1:37 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,250 Thanks
    seashore22
    In all honesty it sounds par for the course for a student house.

You mention cleanliness. Do you mean before he moved in or ongoing cleanliness?

My daughter lived in a student house with one other girl and 3 lads. Smoking of one kind or another and noise were a part of sharing with other students. Ear plugs are useful.

Is your relative dropping out of uni?
    • xyz111
    • By xyz111 8th Oct 17, 11:35 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    xyz111
    got done with it!
    paid 6.5wk rent -2 wk left in the existing month -left deposit worth 4 wk rent and paid another sum on the top...!! gave up the keys then and there...please comment how did i do?
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 8th Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 5,034 Posts
    • 4,385 Thanks
    00ec25
    please comment how did i do?
    Originally posted by xyz111
    You negotiated an exit with the landlord and have had to pay money for doing so

It would be more useful if YOU list the lessons you have learned so that we can then comment on those and make sure you do not make the same mistakes again
    • xyz111
    • By xyz111 8th Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    xyz111
    will do ...but please based on your experience how does my exit deal sound?...i could have done it better -that's follow..
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 8th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 4,768 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Did the landlord/letting agent even agree to it? In writing? Or did you make a unilateral decision to just leave £x and the keys and hope?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • xyz111
    • By xyz111 8th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    xyz111
    no all confirmed in writing -we negotiated first...all is done and dusted..
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 8th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 5,034 Posts
    • 4,385 Thanks
    00ec25
    will do
    Originally posted by xyz111
    no you won't
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 8th Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 4,768 Thanks
    Smodlet
    If you have learnt from this, first thing you do, as soon as you are in the door of your new place, is what?

a) Breathe a sigh of relief

b) Make a cup of tea

c) Photograph the electric meter and the gas meter if present

d) Take a selfie

e) All of the above

Guess what, it's c) "No experience is a waste if you learn from it"... But you could have saved yourself a whole load of grief/money/energy (geddit?)/time if you had taken more care.

HTH and good luck.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • xyz111
    • By xyz111 8th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    xyz111
    as to the option c -everything was included within bill! thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,298Posts Today

8,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin