Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Annalise1234
    • By Annalise1234 29th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Annalise1234
    Help IVA failed is bankruptcy the only option
    • 29th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    Help IVA failed is bankruptcy the only option 29th Sep 17 at 3:49 PM
    Hi

I have due to failed relationships and being a single mum got myself in to debt of nearly £50,000, I have been dealing with Step Change since February and have tried to set up an IVA - but IKANO and Barclays refused my offer (advised by step change) and wanted another £200 per month as to what we were offering and could afford and to extend the term to 7 years. Step change have advised I go bankrupt as I have no assets , at the moment I am paying each creditor £1 per month and have £80 to pay before going bankrupt. A colleague at work advised there must be other options and to post here for advice - I just don;t know what to do and what other options I have if even Step Change couldnt help. Any advice appreciated
Page 2
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 12,652 Posts
    • 11,982 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Debt management companies try and sell IVA’s to people like you so they can benefit from the fees associated with the arrangement.

They will say anything to gain a sale.

In Bankruptcy your budget determines any IPA, not hearsay from a salesman, if you have more than £20 disposable income you will most likely get an IPA, but based on what you can afford.

The people at these debt management companies are sales people yes, not debt advisors, they are best avoided.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter