Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 29th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2,098Posts
    • 6,974Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Maintenance loan query
    • 29th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    Maintenance loan query 29th Sep 17 at 2:59 PM
    My DD will (she hopes) be starting Uni in 2010 so the household income that will be used to determine her maintenance loan is 2018-19. Does she have to reapply every year or is the 5 years (long course) of loan calculated at the beginning and then used year on year?
    I can see that we could make massive pension contributions in 18/19 to bring down the relevant income for the first year loan but would we have to do the same for every year to keep the higher level of loan? One lean year would be no problem but 5 isn't happening

I ask because I benefited back in the day from my mother being made redundant and being in temp work just at the right time so I got a full grant (back in the 80s). She got a better job again within a year or so but I continued to get the full grant as they didn't make you reapply each year. Is that still how they do it?
Page 1
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 29th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 29th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    My DD will (she hopes) be starting Uni in 2010 2020? so the household income that will be used to determine her maintenance loan is 2018-19. Does she have to reapply every year or is the 5 years (long course) of loan calculated at the beginning and then used year on year?
    I can see that we could make massive pension contributions in 18/19 to bring down the relevant income for the first year loan but would we have to do the same for every year to keep the higher level of loan? One lean year would be no problem but 5 isn't happening

I ask because I benefited back in the day from my mother being made redundant and being in temp work just at the right time so I got a full grant (back in the 80s). She got a better job again within a year or so but I continued to get the full grant as they didn't make you reapply each year. Is that still how they do it?
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Yes you have to apply for student finance separately for each academic year.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 29th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 29th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    darn!
    Thanks - I couldn't find this out anywhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,216Posts Today

5,647Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin