Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 29th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    • 1,682Posts
    • 2,969Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Is it really 50yrs ?
    • 29th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    Is it really 50yrs ? 29th Sep 17 at 2:15 PM
    I can remember when Radio 1 was first broadcast, i woke up early that morning and had my little tranny to listen to under the bed clothes. A fella called Tony Blackburn played the Move, Flowers in the rain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-39672573/prince-william-i-text-radio-1-for-shoutouts

Do you remember trying to record the top 20 when they played it on a Sunday. Everyone in the room had to be dead silent, and you tried to time the stop/start button so you didn't get the DJ talking on your tape. But you couldn't tell anyone what you did, we knew it was illegal, the police could knock on the door any minute.
    Radio 1 was much better than Luxembourg, you could never tune that in, all you got was crackling. And then you had the adverts which spoilt the music,...... Horace Batchelor, he had a system that could guarantee you'd win the pools.
    What are your early memories of radio. I still listen, all day. But not Radio 1, i listen to Merseyside.
Page 1
    • DoubleDoors
    • By DoubleDoors 29th Sep 17, 2:45 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    DoubleDoors
    • 29th Sep 17, 2:45 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 2:45 PM
    I used to like Kenny Everett, a fellow scouser Sam.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 29th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 4,893 Posts
    • 5,333 Thanks
    societys child
    • 29th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    Huh, Radio 1, very poor BBC attempt to replicate the pirate ships that had just been shut down by the Marine Broadcasting Offences Act.

Tony Blackburn was a pirate from Radio Caroline, traitor!

What I remember more, was sitting in my mini with my g'friend listening to Radio270 closing down for good by playing the National Anthem at one minute to midnight, just as the act became law.

And that was it, my favourite 60s music station fell silent ..

Thinking about, if it wasn't for the pirates we'd probably be still listening to announcements like "This is the BBC light program"
    Agggghhh . . .

• PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 29th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 4,822 Posts
    • 6,455 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 29th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    Fancy having a little tranny to listen to under the bed clothes.....did you talk back?
    • DoubleDoors
    • By DoubleDoors 30th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    DoubleDoors
    • 30th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 30th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    I used to have a little tranny back in the 70s. In fact I've still got just a basic analogue radio in the kitchen, none of this DAB malarkey
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 30th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    • 30th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    Did anyone listen this morning?

Tony Blackburn, Nick Grimshaw and guests, across R2, R1 and R1Vintage?

Painful.
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 30th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 2,703 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 30th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    I used to have a little tranny back in the 70s. In fact I've still got just a basic analogue radio in the kitchen, none of this DAB malarkey
    Originally posted by DoubleDoors

Had a "Perdio Popsy II" in the 60s when Radio 1 started. It was from Currys (or at least I think it was Currys). It was an OK little set, but heavy on batteries.
    No DAB here either.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 30th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    • 4,291 Posts
    • 5,511 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    Everyone in the room had to be dead silent
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    I remember having to keep quiet whilst my mum recorded the close of Radio London.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 1st Oct 17, 12:08 AM
    • 14,951 Posts
    • 127,738 Thanks
    zagubov
    • 1st Oct 17, 12:08 AM
    • 1st Oct 17, 12:08 AM
    I remember the radio as a treasure trove. Kenny Everett's hilarious voices in the 70s. Free BBC BASIC games Programmes downloaded in the weekly "takeaway from the chip shop" for your cassette recorder to load onto a computer in the early . Weekending, Loose Ends. Ricky Gervais, Russell Brand shows.
    Now, Friday Night Comedy on Radio 4 and lbc's Jame's O'Brien Mystery Hour.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 12th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 13,433 Posts
    • 231,654 Thanks
    mattytun
    Oohhhhh Gary Davies has been standing in for Steve Wright on R2 this week.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,558Posts Today

8,409Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin