Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 29th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 259Posts
    • 86Thanks
    TBC15
    Great British Invest off or Passive V Active Updates
    • 29th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    Great British Invest off or Passive V Active Updates 29th Sep 17 at 2:08 PM
    For those who are curious to compare their Passive or Active investment strategies I’m starting a new thread today with monthly updates (Bottom lines only in £).

For details see http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5719517

Monthly updates on portfolio values should be posted here

Active______ OCT__NOV

Ams25________2.1__2.2

chrisgg______4.8__0.8

Finellah_____2.2__1.8

Linton G_____3.5__3.8

Linton WP____0.6__0.7

Prism G______5.5__6.0

Ray Sing_BlueTBA__

TBC15________5.9__5.7

Thrugelmir___5.1__3.9

Passive

A_T BB_______TBA__

Ams25________2.1__1.9

BLB53________2.1__1.9

bostonerimus_1.6__3.2

bostoner£____1.5__1.4

FinellahVLS80_2.3_2.0
    Last edited by TBC15; 05-12-2017 at 4:11 AM. Reason: update
Page 2
    • Linton
    • By Linton 1st Dec 17, 9:31 AM
    • 8,605 Posts
    • 8,569 Thanks
    Linton
    Obviously your objective is to earn returns of dollars rather than pounds and everyone here is investing with different objectives anyway, but it does make a bit of a mess of comparing the results of [style a] vs [style b] if the measurement of success is in a different currency for one person than it is for another.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Yes - I suspect it's the questions raised and the insights gained by this exercise which will prove to be more useful than the crude results and make it worth doing.
    • Prism
    • By Prism 1st Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Prism
    Prism Global is 105988

Although I have about 30% in tech and china which has taken a hit over the last few days I also have a good amount in consumer, industrials and healthcare which has allowed for a small positive increase in November
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 1st Dec 17, 2:08 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Interesting, on the face of it the percentages look more positive than TBC and BLB who both got negative results over the month and TBC said it was a bit disappointing.

But if we keep score in the same currency: your $103179 at £0.7404 to the dollar is now only worth £76,396 ; whereas the end of October your $101548 at £0.7532 to the dollar was £76482 invested ; a loss of a few hundred pounds of value over the month of November even though all your holdings were positive in your currency of measurement.

Obviously your objective is to earn returns of dollars rather than pounds and everyone here is investing with different objectives anyway, but it does make a bit of a mess of comparing the results of [style a] vs [style b] if the measurement of success is in a different currency for one person than it is for another.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    I'm investing with dollars in US domiciled funds and spending dollars, those in the UK are using pounds, so just comparing the percentage gains in the currency we spend seems an appropriate way to gauge relative success.

November was similar to October for me, but little can be learned from results over just 2 months. I expect to be in the middle for gains over the long haul......some active portfolios will beat my lazy index approach and some will do worse.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • Linton
    • By Linton 1st Dec 17, 3:14 PM
    • 8,605 Posts
    • 8,569 Thanks
    Linton
    I'm investing with dollars in US domiciled funds and spending dollars, those in the UK are using pounds, so just comparing the percentage gains in the currency we spend seems an appropriate way to gauge relative success.
    Originally posted by bostonerimus
    It depends what you use the results for. If a £-based investor were to simply copy your portfolio their reported returns would be rather different. Which ones are "correct" for the purposes of judging the relative success of the portfolio?
    • finellah
    • By finellah 1st Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    finellah
    FinellahVLS80 2.0
    Finellah 1.8
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 1st Dec 17, 4:25 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    TBC15
    Bostonerimus, Linton would you care to join me on the discussion thread.

In 10 yrs time when this exercise has any relevance we will be glad we didn’t plant the spuds with Sitka spruce.
    Last edited by TBC15; 01-12-2017 at 5:34 PM. Reason: Apparently I still can’t spell
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 1st Dec 17, 6:09 PM
    • 56,181 Posts
    • 49,566 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    It depends what you use the results for. If a £-based investor were to simply copy your portfolio their reported returns would be rather different. Which ones are "correct" for the purposes of judging the relative success of the portfolio?
    Originally posted by Linton
    As Bostonerimus posted, he is investing in $ though. Potentially would take an opposing view to ourselves. As exchange rates don't just move against the £ but all other major currencies. I know large swings in exchange rates influence my investment trading decisions. This is just a bit of fun after all.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • chrisgg
    • By chrisgg 2nd Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    chrisgg
    A modest 0.8% for me. Continental European holdings struggled.
    • ams25
    • By ams25 4th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    ams25
    AMS25 active - 102203

AMS25 passive - 101875

not a great month for either, but active edged this time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,405Posts Today

8,003Users online

Martin's Twitter