Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 29th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    • 263Posts
    • 87Thanks
    TBC15
    Great British Invest off or Passive V Active Discussion
    • 29th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    Great British Invest off or Passive V Active Discussion 29th Sep 17 at 1:37 PM
    For those who are curious to compare their Passive or Active investment strategies I’m starting a new thread today with monthly updates (Bottom lines only in £).

Portfolios rebased to £100000 starting on the last active day of trading on the 29th Sept as a start point and constituents followable on Trustnet .

Ideally the portfolios should mirror the investor’s actual holdings as near as possible with Trustnet. This is not really a fantasy league.

If you are interested please leave details of your Portfolios here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73192270#post73192270

and monthly updates here.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73192349#post73192349

It should be interesting to see how strategies fair over the months ahead.
    Last edited by TBC15; 29-09-2017 at 2:10 PM. Reason: Links
Page 4
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 1st Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Bostonerimus, Linton. There is obviously problems with us brits getting our heads around $ based returns. If its OK with you Bostonerimus I’ll put in a passive fund Bostoner£ ( I’ll do the conversion if that’s OK with you) that reflects your returns for a UK investor in £. This would make it simpler for folks from the mother country to take on board and stop a lot of getting out the calculator.
    Originally posted by TBC15
    The percentage returns are what should be compared., I'm up 3.18% so far, someone with 3.8% return for a UK based portfolio has done a bit better. I've chosen my portfolio for the US, not the UK. The percentages are what we should look at to compare overall strategies such as active vs passive. If you want to convert to pounds that's ok, but my portfolio hasn't been designed with any thought for producing GBP denominated returns. A UK investor could use a similar lazy indexing portfolio, but the funds would not be the same.
    Last edited by bostonerimus; 01-12-2017 at 4:58 PM.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 1st Dec 17, 5:12 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    TBC15
    I think we should add a 100% Bitcoin portfolio, starting December 1st.......might make an intersting counterpoint / reference??
    Originally posted by k6chris
    Go for it.

I appear to have missed your current portfolio, care to join?

The coverage bitcoin is getting at the moment is considerable.

I personally can’t get my head around it. Not sure how this would fit in with the original concept that portfolios should reflect ones holdings.

I can’t help thinking someone who invests a substantial amount of his capital in bit coins is fundamentally so far ahead of the game I’m unable to grasp the far sighted concepts involved, or in 2 weeks will he be enquiring if I have the latest Big Issue.
    Last edited by TBC15; 01-12-2017 at 5:21 PM.
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 1st Dec 17, 5:18 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    TBC15
    The percentage returns are what should be compared., I'm up 3.18% so far, someone with 3.8% return for a UK based portfolio has done a bit better. I've chosen my portfolio for the US, not the UK. The percentages are what we should look at to compare overall strategies such as active vs passive. If you want to convert to pounds that's ok, but my portfolio hasn't been designed with any thought for producing GBP denominated returns. A UK investor could use a similar lazy indexing portfolio, but the funds would not be the same.
    Originally posted by bostonerimus
    Bottom line I include Bostoner£ happy Yes/No
    • k6chris
    • By k6chris 1st Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    k6chris
    Go for it.

I appear to have missed your current portfolio, care to join?
    Not sure how I join this, but I propose the hypothetical "10-Bit" portfolio, starting on Dec 1st, which (as the price of a single bit coin was $10,000) stands at $100,000. We can track % rise easily (Bitcoins only rise).
    EatingSoup
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 1st Dec 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Bottom line I include Bostoner£ happy Yes/No
    I'm not bothered either way.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 2nd Dec 17, 2:32 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    TBC15
    Not sure how I join this, but I propose the hypothetical "10-Bit" portfolio, starting on Dec 1st, which (as the price of a single bit coin was $10,000) stands at $100,000. We can track % rise easily (Bitcoins only rise).
    Originally posted by k6chris
    Full details in OP.

As mentioned portfolios should reflect actual holdings.

Bitcoins only rise, not on the graphs I’ve been looking at.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

264Posts Today

1,696Users online

Martin's Twitter