Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 29th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 7,765Posts
    • 31,317Thanks
    Flick216
    Student Meal Disasters
    • 29th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    Student Meal Disasters 29th Sep 17 at 10:26 AM
    Sorry for the Daily Fail link - I only read it for the lols!

However I thought this was quite an interesting article. How can these students get to the age they are without knowing how to cook??

My mother taught my brothers and me to cook form an early age - in fact I cannot remember NOT knowing how to cook. I also taught my boys how to cook from an early age. My youngest's lasagna is the stuff of legends! What are these parents teaching their children?

Caveat - it has to be said that just because my boys know how to cook, it doesn't mean they do actually cook! When the eldest stays over he still looks forward to mum's cooking!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-4929538/Students-share-hilarious-university-cooking-fails.html
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots

Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
Page 2
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 30th Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    • 31,059 Posts
    • 114,423 Thanks
    Pyxis
    The hygiene factor from my two weeks in shared student place was disgusting! I got my own place as well as this, the others playing music til 3am and other things.

Leaving the fridge door open for hours - eating the stuff in the fridge. Storing raw meat uncovered in the fridge with the door open. Grilling without lining the pan with foil then grill again without washing the pan. Not mopping up spills

For the last week there, I had cereals with milk which I stored in a mini fridge in my room. Then for lunch - ate at the campus. Evening meal - either a bowl of salad from the salad bar at supermarket or whatever in the reduced that didn't require cooking or heating.

Obviously these girls I shared with never did any cooking or work in the kitchen at home.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    However, not being able to cook is one thing; not having basic hygiene standards is quite another.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 30th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 7,407 Posts
    • 13,601 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    What's this thing with many students going through a grated cheese phase? Everything has loads of grated cheese.

One student on my course - my group assignment too and he had Pot Noodles with grated cheese. It looked like sick
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 30th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 7,586 Posts
    • 8,126 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I can remember the first time I tried making packet soup. It ended up like a dumpling.

We'd never had packet soup in our house, only proper tinz of Heinz.

I don't know why students or anyone can't "cook" these days though. There are so many good and affordable "cheat" ingredients now that you just heat and mix together. Perhaps not as affordable as beans on toast, but a lot cheaper than takeaways.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 1st Oct 17, 12:32 AM
    • 14,949 Posts
    • 127,736 Thanks
    zagubov
    My flatmates once made a peach omelette. It might sound interesting, but it went straight in the bin after the first few bites.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 1st Oct 17, 5:41 AM
    • 13,252 Posts
    • 17,468 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    My flatmates once made a peach omelette. It might sound interesting, but it went straight in the bin after the first few bites.
    Originally posted by zagubov
    I once made a banana omelette. Seemed like a good idea at the time but it was horrible.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 1st Oct 17, 11:50 PM
    • 10,325 Posts
    • 19,022 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Until recently I couldn’t cook- mum tried many a time to teach me and failed I used to live off instant mash, ready meals and pasta
    Ironically enough I am now at university, studying for a Masters degree and I’m not a bad cook, between me and OH we make some pretty interesting stuff
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • robin58
    • By robin58 3rd Oct 17, 1:51 AM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 2,101 Thanks
    robin58
    I'm one of 4 brothers, no sisters. we were all taught to cook by our mother.

Me, I seem to have got my genes from my granddad, my dads side who was a chief.

In fact had a girlfriend once who could not understand I cooked like a duck to water, even on dishes I had never cooked before.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 3rd Oct 17, 3:36 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 3,023 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I remember back in 2010 getting to know my neighbours who were final year students doing work placements, one of their girlfriends was up one day and knocked on my door and asked me how to work an oven, as she had never used on before as she lived in catered halls of residence whilst at university, (not to stereotype but everything she seemed to have was expensive like a Macbook Pro, iphone etc, lovely girl though)

I can cook if you call it that, I did home economics at school in part as I liked to eat food and parents were poor but also to learn basic skills, for me away from home first time I remember making plain pasta with chopped tomatoes as a meal as was genuinely skint, or liver and onions, not very well cooked but edible but I was excellent at making sponges and fruit pies for pence to fill me up or omelettes, pancakes anything that was cheap but I consider that more skilled than many young people, back at university I heard people boast about how they can make a sandwich themselves seriously!

When I got my first real job was living off chicken breast, peppered steaks etc.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 3rd Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 31,059 Posts
    • 114,423 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I'm one of 4 brothers, no sisters. we were all taught to cook by our mother.

Me, I seem to have got my genes from my granddad, my dads side who was a chief.

In fact had a girlfriend once who could not understand I cooked like a duck to water, even on dishes I had never cooked before.
    Originally posted by robin58
    How does a duck on water cook?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• atolaas
    • By atolaas 3rd Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 5,289 Thanks
    atolaas
    Not quite cooking, but I still thought its worth mentioning. I was in halls during my first year at uni back in the late 90's. Our only male 18 year old flatmate was struggling with get the dead light bulb out of his desk lamp...he'd never had to change a light bulb before and the bayonet fitting on the light bulb was a complete mystery to him. I showed him how to get the light bulb out and he looked at me and genuinely asked how I knew about "this stuff"...nearly 20 years later I'm still flabbergasted that someone of 18 didn't know how to change a light bulb!!
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 3rd Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 12,994 Posts
    • 49,396 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Not quite cooking, but I still thought its worth mentioning. I was in halls during my first year at uni back in the late 90's. Our only male 18 year old flatmate was struggling with get the dead light bulb out of his desk lamp...he'd never had to change a light bulb before and the bayonet fitting on the light bulb was a complete mystery to him. I showed him how to get the light bulb out and he looked at me and genuinely asked how I knew about "this stuff"...nearly 20 years later I'm still flabbergasted that someone of 18 didn't know how to change a light bulb!!
    Originally posted by atolaas
    Earlier on this year my boss' 18 year old daughter asked me how to post a letter, so times don't change much. She's just gone off to uni and although cooking she'll be fine with, doing her own washing, tidying up, even flushing the loo when she's been, will all be new experiences for her.
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 3rd Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 7,765 Posts
    • 31,317 Thanks
    Flick216
    There are many reasons people might not have been taught to cook...

Our kitchen had no heating and was miniscule - if anybody was in the kitchen cooking, others had to be banned... no room for cooking things together.

Having a tiny kitchen is not an excuse. I have tiny kitchen. Still manage to make Christmas dinner for 10 - from scratch.

Also, timing .... by the time many get in from College/wherever, tea's often on the table already! So people don't even see it happening.

Do weekends not exist in these people's lives?

Some people would be clumsy/hopeless at first - and if they've a "control freak" parent trying to teach them something then there'd have been arguments for many ....

Minority - of no material difference

I "learnt" to cook just from gathering the food from the garden and helping with the peeling etc.

Good for you - at least you had the forethought to try - not to mention growing your own stuff. That's brilliant and I hope to be doing that myself as soon as I can get my garden sorted so I don't have to bend to garden

Also, family homes have huge dishes and a collection of stuff accumulated over the years - many students are standing there with just a spoon, a bowl and a couple of random saucepans/dishes, all the wrong size for cooking small portions.

That's just not a good enough excuse

AND ... as a young person, you probably want to try new foods that your mum never cooked....

Reminds me of when my mum told us she never had a banana until well into her 20's

As for the article - people are sharing their fails. Everybody has fails - just the other night on a cookery contest on the television a couple of contestants overfilled their bowl, which then spilled over as it baked and burnt their cake.

It's "food shaming" people like this.... that can make them not wish to bother again.

It's not food shaming - it's basic human skills shaming - but, yes - I get that the article is a specific fails article

Did you eat? Yes. Good, that's one up from anorexia then - that's a WIN!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Well no it isn't a win - eating rubbish will still give you severe malnutrition.

Rushed because I am going to a meeting....
    ENFP - Assertive

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 3rd Oct 17, 3:42 PM
    • 31,059 Posts
    • 114,423 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Earlier on this year my boss' 18 year old daughter asked me how to post a letter, so times don't change much. She's just gone off to uni and although cooking she'll be fine with, doing her own washing, tidying up, even flushing the loo when she's been, will all be new experiences for her.
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    She doesn't know how to flush the loo?

Mind you, there were two loos recently that pushed me to the limit.
    One cubicle I went into in a restaurant in Croatia had absolutely no visible means of flushing the loo. Nothing. Iwas looking and looking and looking, and was about to give up when I heard someone talking outside, who had obviously had the same problem and gone to get her friend/relative to help.
    Luckily they were Italian, which I heard of to cotton onto the fact that it was an automatic flush, but only worked when you left the cubicle!

You'd think they'd have put a sign up to that effect, wouldn't you?

The other one was in my room in Italy, a part I'd never been to before. It had a high level cistern, but no chain. Eventually I realised that the small, thin metal protuberance sticking out of the bottom of the cistern was the flush, but you didn't pull it, you pushed it!
    I had never ever seen one of those in any other part of Italy, but it must have been a regional thing, because all the loos in cafes and public places in the area had them.

I never knew there were so many ways to flush a loo! Someone should open a museum of loo flushes!

Re. uneducated teenagers......

There was a thing on the TV the other day, to do with the Radio 1 anniversary, where a presenter was asking teens if they knew how to tune an analogue radio, and showed them a transistor radio. None of them knew.

Still, I suppose no reason why they should know until they are shown.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Lingua
    • By Lingua 3rd Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Lingua
    It always gets on my nerves when older people complain about younger generations not having certain skills. If you want them to have the skill, you have to teach them! When parents complain that their kids can't cook/clean/iron etc., my first thought is always: "have you taught them?"

My parents never taught me how to do anything as I was a molly-coddled kid. Hitting adulthood I've had to figure out a lot of it myself, and I still get family members saying how "kids these days (reference to me) don't know how to do x y z". We would if people had the foresight to pass on information to the next generation!!

Lingua

P.S., yes I can tune an analogue radio
    Long-Term Goal: £14'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 3rd Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 31,059 Posts
    • 114,423 Thanks
    Pyxis
    It always gets on my nerves when older people complain about younger generations not having certain skills. If you want them to have the skill, you have to teach them! When parents complain that their kids can't cook/clean/iron etc., my first thought is always: "have you taught them?"

My parents never taught me how to do anything as I was a molly-coddled kid. Hitting adulthood I've had to figure out a lot of it myself, and I still get family members saying how "kids these days (reference to me) don't know how to do x y z". We would if people had the foresight to pass on information to the next generation!!

Lingua

Originally posted by Lingua
    I agree. Nobody is born with knowledge.

I wasn't taught how to cook at home, either. (Won't go into the reasons why).
    However, the very, very few cookery classes I did at school taught me how to make eggs mornay, and biscuits.
    The eggs mornay saw me through my uni years, as the basic white sauce used to make cheese sauce could be given any flavour you like.
    It also taught me how to make a roux, which is the basis for other things, too.

It wasn't really until I had a job and my own place that I started teaching myself to cook with the aid of a Good Housekeeping cookbook bible, which I still have, and two or three other cookbooks, plus recipes from women's magazines.

Even then, it wasn't until I was off work for a few years that I really got adventurous. Some things take ages to make!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Flick216
    • By Flick216 3rd Oct 17, 4:59 PM
    • 7,765 Posts
    • 31,317 Thanks
    Flick216

Lingua

Originally posted by Lingua
    This is EXACTLY my point! It's not about them magically having the skills - it's about parents not teaching them to their kids. I have a friend who still does her over 20 year olds (two of them!) washing and ironing!! I have not done my kids washing since they were old enough to use the washing machine. And actually my eldest won't let me do his ironing since I messed up the creases in his trousers once.

That said - my youngest did message me once asking me for the phone number of his bank. (We use the same bank). *facepalm*
    ENFP - Assertive

• Lingua
    • By Lingua 3rd Oct 17, 5:57 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Lingua
    If you don't teach a pilot how to fly, he's going to crash the plane
    Long-Term Goal: £14'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 3rd Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    It wasn't really until I had a job and my own place that I started teaching myself to cook with the aid of a Good Housekeeping cookbook bible, which I still have, and two or three other cookbooks, plus recipes from women's magazines. Posted by Pyxis
    When I got married, I taught myself to cook by means of GH too. Unfortunately, I thought that 'one garlic clove' meant the whole bulb. We were not popular bunnies the next day!
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 4th Oct 17, 12:09 AM
    • 10,325 Posts
    • 19,022 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I was hopeless when I left home. My bank account was a mystery to me- I couldn’t understand how my overdraft worked To this day there are still several basic things I cannot do- I can’t peel a potato and I can’t open a tin with a manual tin opener. Mum had to give me a lesson in washing my clothes- I.e don’t mix white and dark clothes etc, what temperature to use. She also had to teach me how to wash up and get stains out of things However things like stitching a button onto something or darning a hole was always a mystery until recently- I can just about sew a button onto OH’s work shirt or darn the pockets of his trousers. I’m picking up more skills as I get older but when I first left home for uni at 18 life was a constant phone call to mum wailing ‘help- how do I do this?!’
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 4th Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 31,059 Posts
    • 114,423 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Washing clothes has got to be easy these days, as all clothes have labels giving you instructions.
    Even if you don't understand the symbols, at least you can understand the temperature, and other instructions like " Do Not Spin"', "Wash dark colours separately", etc.

Of course, if people can't be bothered to check the labels....................
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,923Posts Today

7,685Users online

Martin's Twitter