Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Holidayexpert
    • By Holidayexpert 29th Sep 17, 7:40 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Holidayexpert
    Builder shows me new bill but never mention how much it would cost,
    • 29th Sep 17, 7:40 AM
    Builder shows me new bill but never mention how much it would cost, 29th Sep 17 at 7:40 AM
    On the contract, it stated that he would fit a basic bathroom. From day one I said I wanted it all tiled and was specific about what I wanted. He recommended the websites where to order and I bought all the material. Several times I asked him how much he would have spent so I could deduct from my budget but everytime he was evasive or would simply not answer. The bathroom is finished and he sent me a bill of £3700 deducting only £700 for what he would have paid. He NEVER mentioned any price bracket for such or such jobs. For example I ordered everything through him but he complained that the shower would be difficult to fit...to which I replied he just neded to tell me before it was ordered as I know nothing about it and would have orderd a different one (he charged be £300 for fitting it by the way) Looking at the contract it was just basic white/paint etc... I agree I should be charged more but he is charging extra for everything that was fitted. Extra for the bigger shower, extra for the different radiator £1500 fir tiling etc...
    I just want to know if I am being unreasonable or not. He does not want to discuss the bill and wants all communication via email.
    Thank you
Page 1
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 29th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    • 18,582 Posts
    • 47,836 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 29th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    • 29th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    Hi
    I've asked a board guide to move your thread to the Consumer Rights board.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 2nd Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 9,342 Posts
    • 17,803 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    Hi I've moved this to the consumer rights board to see if you can get advice over here

Hope you get it sorted

Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• eddddy
    • By eddddy 2nd Oct 17, 3:33 PM
    • 5,550 Posts
    • 5,233 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:33 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:33 PM
    Accoring to the Consumer Rights Act 2015...

Where the price is not agreed beforehand, the service must be provided for a reasonable price.

Link: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act
    So a reasonable price might be whatever other tradesmen might charge.

As an example, you could work out how many days/hours the tradesman spent on the job, and multiply that by other tradesmen's daily/hourly rates.

If things get 'difficult', you could just work out what you think is reasonable and pay it, and invite the tradesman to take you to the small claims court for any more.

Then the court would judge what is 'reasonable'.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 2nd Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    I don't really understand your post as it's more than a bit confusing(*), but - didn't you ask him how much it would cost before he started?

(*) eg you ordered the shower "through him" but he thought it would be difficult to fit and charged you extra to fit it?

Also you say he deducted £700 for what he would have paid. Do you mean he would have paid £700 trade price for the kit you bought at retail price?

I don't understand your post. You may have an argument against your builder but you need to be clearer about the facts.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 2nd Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    Consumer Rights Act 2015. Post #4 is referring to section 51.

As I recall, the CRA (or is it the CCRs?) also says that where a final price is not known then the method of calculating the final price must be advised prior to a contract becoming binding.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

1,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin