Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DeeBee63
    • By DeeBee63 29th Sep 17, 12:19 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DeeBee63
    Sky £20 fee to transfer phone number
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:19 AM
    Sky £20 fee to transfer phone number 29th Sep 17 at 12:19 AM
    Hi guys
    I used MSE's Unbundled tool (thanks Martin!) and found a broadband and line rental deal for £15 per month with Sky. However, I would like to keep my phone number but they want £20 to transfer it. Any suggestions for getting them to waive this fee? Tried haggling via the online chat but they wouldn't budge. I know it's a good deal, but most providers don't charge to keep your old number.
    Should I try again or just grab the good deal?
    Any advice welcome thanks.
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 29th Sep 17, 8:53 AM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 29th Sep 17, 8:53 AM
    • 29th Sep 17, 8:53 AM
    Can't say I've heard of Sky (or anyone else) charging for keeping the same number, is this charge generated by your previous supplier perhaps? Who are you coming from?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 29th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 9,748 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 29th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 29th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    £20 same number
    £0 may not transfer number .
    • chippy2u
    • By chippy2u 29th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    • 274 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    chippy2u
    • 29th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    • 29th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    I changed from BT to Sky 2 weeks ago and kept my number with no charge. Can't understand why you are being charged!
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 29th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    shaggy
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    I changed from BT to Sky 2 weeks ago and kept my number with no charge. Can't understand why you are being charged!
    Originally posted by chippy2u
    I changed from Sky to BT just over a year ago and wasnt charged.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 29th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 8,375 Posts
    • 4,981 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    My sister changed from PlusNet to Sky last Friday, no charge to transfer number but there is the £19.95 setup which I assume includes the newer modem.

She got ADSL and line for £15 , then £20.50 including Anytime calls.

On the main page they have put the non-customer rate up a lot, but the customer one is £18 with a £50 MasterCard, averaging just under £16, but if you log into your account, the offer is still £15 (oddly for 11months,though lower down the page it says 12 months).

My sister left PlusNet, as I intend to do and Sky said they would cover the cease from Plusnet, too.

It would be interesting to see if anyone is getting the £15 offer as an existing tv customer as the main and customer pages disagree on price, as my minimum term is up in three weeks.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 29-09-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 29th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 8,375 Posts
    • 4,981 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    I changed from Sky to BT just over a year ago and wasnt charged.
    Originally posted by shaggy

The OP is referring to joining Sky, not leaving them, so the situation is different.

Going from Sky to PlusNet had no cease charge for me, but leaving PlusNet a will have a £30 fee.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 29th Sep 17, 12:13 PM
    • 8,375 Posts
    • 4,981 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:13 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:13 PM
    A thought: OP who issued your number,as there could be a problem if it was not originally a BT number eg one of TalkTalks ?

Perhaps Sky mean that they cannot guarantee getting a number not belonging to BT,unless you pay up.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 29th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    My sister changed from PlusNet to Sky last Friday, no charge to transfer number but there is the £19.95 setup which I assume includes the newer modem.

She got ADSL and line for £15 , then £20.50 including Anytime calls.

On the main page they have put the non-customer rate up a lot, but the customer one is £18 with a £50 MasterCard, averaging just under £16, but if you log into your account, the offer is still £15 (oddly for 11months,though lower down the page it says 12 months).

My sister left PlusNet, as I intend to do and Sky said they would cover the cease from Plusnet, too.

It would be interesting to see if anyone is getting the £15 offer as an existing tv customer as the main and customer pages disagree on price, as my minimum term is up in three weeks.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    That £15 Sky offer is already history, they're advertising £20 for unlimited ADSL now (£18 for existing customers(?))
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 29th Sep 17, 12:52 PM
    • 8,375 Posts
    • 4,981 Thanks
    teddysmum
    That £15 Sky offer is already history, they're advertising £20 for unlimited ADSL now (£18 for existing customers(?))
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe

But if you log onto your account it is still £15 for existing tv customers; hence my question about still getting the offer.

The main page offers £18 and a £50 MasterCard, making it just under £16.

It's still a good deal compared with others,though. All my sister could get ,after asking two people,was £1 off to stay with PlusNet.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 29-09-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 29th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    But if you log onto your account it is still £15 for existing tv customers; hence my question about still getting the offer.

The main page offers £18 and a £50 MasterCard, making it just under £16.

It's still a good deal compared with others,though. All my sister could get ,after asking two people,was £1 off to stay with PlusNet.
    I missed the £50 card offer. I just signed in and can't see the £15 offer anywhere though, in fact it lists ADSL as full price at £28.99

Just out of interest I clicked through the I want to leave option and they offered me a wapping £5 off full price, I can't wait for renegotiations to come around again.
    • DeeBee63
    • By DeeBee63 1st Oct 17, 8:12 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DeeBee63
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I am with Talktalk, but have had my number for years, originally from BT. Not sure why Sky needed £20 to transfer ...

As Colin_Maybe correctly points out, the £15 deal is no longer available. However, a new search using the MSE Unbundled tool yielded an even better deal from EE:

£18.50 per month for 18 months, £7 delivery and free weekend calls AND £100 Mastercard! This equates to £13.34, so I am even better off :-) :-D Happy bunny ;-)
    Last edited by DeeBee63; 01-10-2017 at 8:18 PM.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 2nd Oct 17, 6:29 PM
    • 8,375 Posts
    • 4,981 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I missed the £50 card offer. I just signed in and can't see the £15 offer anywhere though, in fact it lists ADSL as full price at £28.99

Just out of interest I clicked through the I want to leave option and they offered me a wapping £5 off full price, I can't wait for renegotiations to come around again.
    The £50 card is for existing customers (ie with tv) who are taking line and ADSL by migrating from somewhere else, not those negotiating a new deal.

I've just checked and, if you log in, the £15 offer still shows, so doesn't look like a mistake.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 02-10-2017 at 6:34 PM.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 2nd Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    • 8,375 Posts
    • 4,981 Thanks
    teddysmum

As Colin_Maybe correctly points out, the £15 deal is no longer available.
    Originally posted by DeeBee63
    It appears to still be for existing tv customers wanting to take phone etc (see my post above) though not people without tv.

(Is this deja vu from when there was a discount of £2.50 for taking tv and £5 for taking a Sky line ?)
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    It appears to still be for existing tv customers wanting to take phone etc (see my post above) though not people without tv.

(Is this deja vu from when there was a discount of £2.50 for taking tv and £5 for taking a Sky line ?)
    I don't why since we're both on ADSL with TV (I think) but you're seeing things on your account that doesn't show on mine. The following is what I can see unless I'm missing something obvious (note that I wiped my history this morning so there's no cached version).

https://imgur.com/a/IPSmE
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 3rd Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    • 8,375 Posts
    • 4,981 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I don't why since we're both on ADSL with TV (I think) but you're seeing things on your account that doesn't show on mine. The following is what I can see unless I'm missing something obvious (note that I wiped my history this morning so there's no cached version).

https://imgur.com/a/IPSmE

When I rechecked, yesterday, it definitely still gave the £15 offer only if you logged in, but they have changed it now. The links to choose to go to tv, mobile, broadband etc have changed in design and the offer is £28.99 crossed out to £18,again with a design showing the rocker with his guitar (above the price chart you show).

The 'At our best prices 'is disputable as the £50 mastercard with the £18 offer has also disappeared ,as well as £18 obviously not being better than £15

Someone mentioned a £100 voucher with EE but though I can find the offer, I can't see anything about £100.

It looks as though they are looking round and seeing no offers elsewhere, so are decreasing theirs.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 03-10-2017 at 7:25 PM.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 3rd Oct 17, 7:14 PM
    • 8,375 Posts
    • 4,981 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Just to prove I'm not losing it (they had an error in the last existing customer offer, saying '11month' contract, but 12 months, lower down the page)spot the error in the ADSL offer here https://buy.sky.com/offers-upgrades/get-offers

The site also disagrees with itself, on one page saying that the £18 ADSL is only if you recontract or upgrade tv but on others making no such demand.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 03-10-2017 at 7:26 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 4th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Just to prove I'm not losing it (they had an error in the last existing customer offer, saying '11month' contract, but 12 months, lower down the page)spot the error in the ADSL offer here https://buy.sky.com/offers-upgrades/get-offers

The site also disagrees with itself, on one page saying that the £18 ADSL is only if you recontract or upgrade tv but on others making no such demand.
    I can't see the mistake in the ADSL offer from your link as there is no ADSL offer on mine

(pretty sure I mentioned that )
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 8,375 Posts
    • 4,981 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I can't see the mistake in the ADSL offer from your link as there is no ADSL offer on mine

(pretty sure I mentioned that )

They are trying to drive me insane.

I just got up the page which only appears when you log in (ie the top of the one you copied) saw the mistake was still there ( the headline was £18, but the body of the message still said £15), so attempted to copy it, but the page disappeared and logged me out.

Back in and guess what.....the mistake has been rectified.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 4th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    They are trying to drive me insane.

I just got up the page which only appears when you log in (ie the top of the one you copied) saw the mistake was still there ( the headline was £18, but the body of the message still said £15), so attempted to copy it, but the page disappeared and logged me out.

Back in and guess what.....the mistake has been rectified.
    Lol, it's not Big Brother watching you @teddysmum, it's Sky.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,692Posts Today

8,906Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin