Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 22,378Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER 28th Sep 17 at 9:46 PM
    Ninja Savings Turtles ORGANISE OCTOBER

Several people have indicted that circumstances dictate the continuation of September's Super Scrimpers regime and the tough line instituted by Ninja Savings Kat in her challenges (see NSK).

Austerity October? Austerity with a twist because although the turtle way is difficult we always aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

The Truth is out There
    Question Everything
    Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

ALWAYS Be Kind

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Special exemption for the turtle who's family drink milk by the bucketload. Any requests for special exemptions will be considered (some turtles manage their money in other ways)

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    But let us think about cutting back.
    You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity.

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts particularly for grand-parents and teachers. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family memebrs or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

THE Challenge will run from 00.00 on 1st October until 00.00 on 31st October.

ODD - This month's inspiration is going to be slightly off the wall. Looking forward to how many of you can follow where others boldly go

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Last edited by mothernerd; 29-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 7/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 536/2017
Page 9
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 4th Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 8,108 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    It's Wednesday!! For some silly reason that pleases me.

I think today will be a NSD

Kids to school, then off to gym, lots of silly little put off-able jobs will be done, so I can stop putting them off.

Veg stew for tea tonight so I can use up some left over veg from other meals and clear some bendy stuff from fridge bottom drawer and make lots of lovely room in the fridge.

In freezer news, I am empty apart from the top drawer so will have to find some YS bread to fill it with. But not today.

I have everything in for tomorrow's lunchboxes, but need to bake today for there is mysteriously no cake................ DRAMA!!! Cake always make a lunchbox more interesting.

So, right, off to do stuff with my Turtle head firmly screwed on.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • Jellybean88
    • By Jellybean88 4th Oct 17, 7:56 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Jellybean88
    Late check in for yesterday here ops!!

Organise Ė We had stir fry for dinner yesterday. I've used up all the noodles in my cupboard now.

Exercise : 18,100 steps done yesterday between work and the gym.

Yesterday was a really busy day so I didn't get a chance to do much besides work, gym and sleep lol.

I'll check in for today later on.
    • mummylewis
    • By mummylewis 4th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    mummylewis
    Morning turtles!
    Off to a good start today so far. Emptied the dishwasher and put the breakfast pots in. DD woke up at 7.15am today!!!! This is the 3rd day in a row she has gotten up around the 7am Mark. Previously it's been 5am and that's it, I don't want to jinx it but we may have hit a turning point

Going clear space in the spare room now for the british gas man to work and get a start on bagging stuff up for car boot. Hopefully I can make a little money to go towards plastering in there.

Shouldn't be a spend day but will check in again later.

Have a great day everyone!
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 4th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 22,378 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Day Four Inspiration
    It takes grace to remain kind in cruel situations
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 7/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 536/2017
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 4th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 823 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Oops was going to check in yesterday but fell asleep.
    Was NSD number 3 so happy with that.Just posted some e-b*y parcels and as the buyers paid I'm not counting that.
    Hopeful that today will be a NSD as well.

Ilovetea xx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £1,511.20
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 4th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Check in for today

NSD total - 3

got a refund for Gas & Electric which I have shoved straight into savings, wasn't expecting it and therefor I don't need it.

have the kids on my own this w/e as hub is away so I am going to look up English Heritage places to visit on my lunch. I am also going to phone one of my loyalty cards as they haven't sent that out yet and I am missing bonuses!

Home made soup for tea

Have a good day peeps
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 4th Oct 17, 1:49 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    Calling14
    Apologies sneaking in tad late.

Budgets in place
    Food £100 to include xmas cake ingredients/and bit make up. Lidl lippy is fab 2 for £3.00

SFD going for 2/20

Going out £90/ £170 eek - This month I go out got 3 gigs lined up. Figure includes travel and hotel costsand few drinks paid £90 yesterday. Not sure if my friend owes me for tickets its so long ago when I booked it. So may recover some costs .

Fuel 0/£40
    will hang fire as asda cutting petrol costs this week.

Exercise
    - 3/31 Aim to get in hilly walk each day( my fitbit strap is broke) so not step counting. Ashamed of how little I am doing lately 8k a day - DD on holiday just climbed Ben Nevis yesterday in 60mph/ with snow hitting her hard. Madness but made me think slight wind and I don't go out

Extra income - can't do overtime but surveys/quidco aim for £100
    Had 19.06 quidco/ £5 surveys and £3 Halifax so far £27.06/£100

Will get back into the swing of things next few days Mothernerd and check in daily honest.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW £990
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 £3310 /£4300 DFD 12/17
    E
    Fund #9 £100/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge £1567/2000 ends 29/12/17

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 4th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 6,609 Posts
    • 38,118 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi check in for yesterday & today

forced myself to go to the allotment both days. 30 mins yesterday and 1 hour digging today Have done about 30 mins walking and another 30 mins later

today as was in town did from shopping - tis so rare I go into town these days I have to make the most of it. Got jam wax covers for jam made on Monday. Also picked up some cellophane to make a hamper for the child minder to say thanks for all you have done over the last 3 years. A bottle of prosecco, hm jam & hm lavender sugar scrub

spent £1 on moisturising cream so £1/10 and that's me for the month!

SFDs still at 1/15 - hoping I can get another 3 this week and still be on track....
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 4th Oct 17, 2:27 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Spendy day yesterday

We went to sort the rug, curtains and radiator cover for the front room - all pre-budgeted for- but I went with my dd and dgs so ended up buying toys, clothes, lunch and also some nuts that I needed....spent far too much but worth every penny!! Still don't have any curtains though!! The baby stuff, lunch and parking came from my persie money but the nuts are from shopping so £15 there....

Doing well on the using stuff up....raided the fridge this morning and have cooked red onion steaks with maple and wholegrain mustard and Moroccan lemon & potato casserole. I have made a sweetcorn, grapefruit, orange and pomegranate salad and have cooked and shelled some broad beans. I'll serve all this with some leaves which I still have growing (last lot now...need to re-plant at the weekend). I am also making some caramelized shallots which I will make filo tarts with or make into a 'jam' later in the week.

I spent a long time walking yesterday so that is definitely my exercise so far - I am having a night off tonight but will hopefully get some yoga in at some point this week, depending on work commitments. I haven't done a 'stoptober' thing yet....I need to quit smoking (I'm a serial quitter!! ) but I am planning on stopping over the next few days....I am having the dgs at the weekend and don't smoke around him so it's an ideal time to stop without going insane!!

Hugs to all that need them....keep it up, we're all doing great!!
    15 Month Challenge: Mortgage- £0/£19000 House - £0/£15000
    2018 - Jan - Mar: M £0/£1410 H £0/£4110 April-Jun: M £0/£1410 H £0/£4110 Jul - Sep: M £0/£1410 H £0/£4110 Oct - Dec: M £0/£5520 2019 -Jan - March: M £0/£5520
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 4th Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Turtle #5 Check in day 4/31
    So far so good, really loving this challenge its helping me keep on the straight and narrow.

SFD: Working towards another NSD todayÖ managed to bring lunch again woohoo! Iím gonna call it 3/16 (Iím an optimist today)

Food: still have the remaining £62 odd in my food budget had a delivery yesterday so I think well be good for the next couple of weeks (bar milk and bread)Ödid manage to scoop some evaporated though for tea if I got desperate lol

Stoptober: Day 2 of my no smoking- Iím feeling bit better todayÖfingers crossed!

Improvise: Didnít make anything but I did follow a fellow turtles advice and sign up to kindle unlimited free trial period in order to cop a free book were reading in book club!! (£7.04 saving- wey hey)

Exercise- other than walking from the station to work and back I havenít done much- This area needs some work.

Christmas- Still not formulated a plan, but did find some gift wrap, bows and old unused Xmas cards!! Yay!- got me into the spirit

Banned- Iíve managed to stay out of the caf!, off licence and chippy so far- Iím doing a ok!!

Extra income- Completed Swag Bucks, Downgraded my season Ticket (amount to be refunded not yet know, downsized my pension contribution for this monthÖall Iíve got so far)

Have a great day turtles! Sx
    If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off & try again... Debt at 5th attempt
    step 1-1 debt vs 100days chpt27- £3452.25/£4603.46 (75%)- deadline 29.12.17
    Step2- cc £380.53/£5482.83 (6.94%) (offset £1500savings when mature-31/03/18)- deadline 01.05.2017- 37.99% of total Debt Overall
    • greent
    • By greent 4th Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 65,719 Thanks
    greent
    Day 4 (it's getting chilly here)
    Organise/ Cook from Scratch/ Use things up - All food from stores. Had icecream for lunch to use it up. Pasta for dinner for the boys. I might just have poached eggs on toast - nauseous headache

Pay debts/ savings - £2.56 cashback claimed from tcb as an Amaz0n voucher, so rounded it up and paid £5 to kitchen fund.

Budgets
    * Food - 28.44/ 325 (stretch 290)
    * Fuel 60/60 - car has been filled right up. Should last halfway into Nov, fingers crossed..
    * Clothes 0/75
    * Gifts 5.50/150
    * Toiletries 0/10
    * Social 0/200 (stretch 150)

NSD - 3/12

Improvise -

Exercise
    * Week 1 - 2/4 Whilst watching a catch up tv programme I sort-of Zumba-ed for 27 minutes (was meant to be 30 but I got bored!0 - enough that it registered as aerobic activity on fitb1t, so I'll take that

Jan Goals - "By the end of the year I want to have halved the (non mtge) debt we have and have lost 20lbs - and also get fitter along the way"
    Debt at start of year more than halved.
    Weight/ fitness = complete failure. Still need to weight myself again

Extra income - As above - £2.56 cashback claimed. Another item listed on flebay

Christmas - started making lists. Need to finish this off

Get Ready Checklist
    1 - Health - vitamins taken today so 4/31
    4 - Maintenance - need to contact plasterer & electrician by 10/10. (Have mentioned it to electrician's wife - mum at school - but need to do it properly) OH has messaged plumber we used for bathrooms before - fingers crossed he still has the same email.....
    Have messaged plasterer (03/10) - no reply as yet and I phoned plumber (03/10)- no longer trading so now need to find a plumber....

Gratitudes:
    * surprisingly nice icecream for lunch
    * another dry day (although I forgot to hang out the washing )
    * finally sorting out some pics on my old phone
    * DD 'checking in'
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1445.57/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • Jellybean88
    • By Jellybean88 4th Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Jellybean88
    Day 4 check in

Food- microwave meal from the freezer. Managed to get some last week for 40p each. I'm babysitting tonight and only have an hour between getting home from work and then leaving to babysit. So a quick dinner needed.

Spending - SFD.

Exercise - Walked 16000 steps so far today. I doubt I'll do much more.

Extra income - I should get £50 tomorrow for babysitting. That'll go straight towards the CC.

I have 3 days off of work now. I'm getting my eyebrows done tomorrow. I can't do them myself lol. Then my mum is taking me out for lunch, so we'll probably look around town afterwards so hopefully I won't see anything I like. My daughter is going to a baking club tomorrow after school, so prob go to a cafe whilst she's there, or go to my mums as it's only around the corner. Then my daughter has guides after, so need a quick and easy dinner lol. Must not be tempted by fish and chips!!

I've rambled on there a lil bit. Ops!!!
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 4th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,035 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Day 4

It hasn't been a good day today for this turtle but the more I keep posting the more likely I am to last the month rather than thinking 'I've had a rubbish day so I'm not posting'.

NSDs: 2/15 couldn't avoid spending today unfortunately, have some fussy eaters to take care of every wednesday and had nothing in the freezer for them.
    Exercise: cycling - 1/12 my health had to come before cycling today
    10k steps - 2/22 again as above, I really haven't felt right today, I really should take better care of myself
    Food budget: £15.58/£100 could have been a lot worse than 11.36 today, I would usually have spent around the £50 mark.
    Extra income: £50/£100 none again today but I have again hit my daily goal on swagbucks. This is the one area I really want to focus on but I just can't find the time in between being a full time student and a mum.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 4th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 19,591 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 4
    Managed another NSD - 4/20
    Walked 20 minutes and took my own lunch into work.
    Used up food etc already in.
    Grateful for:
    Making good bus connections this morning.
    Made it home in good time and it was earlier than I usually make it home.
    Finished reading another book today. Got another one ready for tomorrow.
    For painting of the front door and the shed door outside my flat as part of the maintenance. Done through annual service charge. Did not have to paint the windows as I have double glazing.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 04-10-2017 at 7:02 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 5/15 Food/household budget £59.58/£150
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 4th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 14,478 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    NSD no.

Use up/Improvise - used up some frozen stirfry veg that have been there forever, and some oyster sauce to make a rice dish with the last of the roast beef from Sunday.

Got some more vitamins. Hopefully they’ll perk me up. I’ve got another cold and I feel crap. PT cancelled and crap eaten.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 4th Oct 17, 7:26 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Number 20 checking in from a much warmer house
    Haven't managed a nsd as we needed milk - I didn't know until I went for my cuppa this morning.
    Really, really busy at work so not much time for anything else. I can't believe how busy I get at work. To-do list as long as my arm.
    RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 4th Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 48,716 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Greent - ooh, ice cream for lunch sounds like my sort of a meal!

Dfd - you are juggling a lot. firstly you are a mum, then you are a student too. That is plenty to be getting on with! Take care of yourself, and don't be too harsh on yourself.

Fbo - hang in there and try to make better choices more often than the not-so-good choices.

Today I am grateful for some sunshine, for finding sox and nix in m&s for dd and I (our most recent undies purchases were from primarni and the elastic has unravelled on them and they fall down [did they catch it from you, mothernerd?!] so Ineeded to shop elsewhere), for finding things I wantedto buy for my niece's 21st, for getting stuff done at work, for nice chats with pupils, for a lift part of the way home, for dd meeting me off the bus, for another bunny being stuffed and pinned together.
    NST DDD#1; NSD 9/15; Ex 4/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove 6/31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 4th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,035 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Thank you apple muncher. Today I am so so grateful for some very kind words from people on the DFW forum and I'm thankful that I found this challenge.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 4th Oct 17, 7:46 PM
    • 4,665 Posts
    • 35,833 Thanks
    DawnW
    Day 4:
    NSD
    Washing dried on line
    Masses of batch cooking done, used up lots of bits and pieces from the fridge, freezer and garden
    Exercise - walked to post office and back, a couple of miles
    Listed more items on ebay and completed a couple of surveys
    NSDs for December 7/15
    Decluttering 50/31

• Scrimps
    • By Scrimps 4th Oct 17, 8:07 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    Scrimps
    Number 36
    HI all, hope youre well. Not a bad day for myself, decorating was a bit tedious but have made some progress.
    -Organise: Another couple of hours decorating done after work. (Plenty more to do)
    -Regular: still £115/200.
    NSD: 1/20 (haircut re-booked for tomorrow)
    Improvise: nothing yet
    Stoptober: Managed to not compulsively look at YNAB/mortgage overpayment calculator etc.
    Exercise: Walked to work (rather briskly as was running late) and walked slowly home. will do 20 minutes yoga at about 9 tonight as my neck and back was suffering a bit today.
    Banned: visited no shops, canteens etc. Very proud of myself to be honest
    Extra Income. forgot to check onepoll until just now- none of the surveys were suitable for me.
    Last edited by Scrimps; 04-10-2017 at 8:09 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,995Posts Today

4,676Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin