Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,185Posts
    • 22,355Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER 28th Sep 17 at 9:46 PM
    Ninja Savings Turtles ORGANISE OCTOBER

Several people have indicted that circumstances dictate the continuation of September's Super Scrimpers regime and the tough line instituted by Ninja Savings Kat in her challenges (see NSK).

Austerity October? Austerity with a twist because although the turtle way is difficult we always aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

The Truth is out There
    Question Everything
    Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

ALWAYS Be Kind

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Special exemption for the turtle who's family drink milk by the bucketload. Any requests for special exemptions will be considered (some turtles manage their money in other ways)

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    But let us think about cutting back.
    You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity.

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts particularly for grand-parents and teachers. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family memebrs or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

THE Challenge will run from 00.00 on 1st October until 00.00 on 31st October.

ODD - This month's inspiration is going to be slightly off the wall. Looking forward to how many of you can follow where others boldly go

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Last edited by mothernerd; 29-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 5/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 433/2017
Page 7
    • moneysavingfamilycomp
    • By moneysavingfamilycomp 3rd Oct 17, 12:13 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 1,821 Thanks
    moneysavingfamilycomp
    Hi i'm hoping I can join you all sorry i'm a bit late (story of my life) but i've just found this and I really need the support / motivation.
    heres my list so far:

organise: need to do a proper list but have been using up from freezer cupboards so not loads in.

budget : will be a bit trial and error this month as I don't have a clue other than I know I stay out of the overdraft.(just)
    food = £200 Me, DH, DD, DS and dog
    diesel= £ 50
    school = £20 (£4 school fund, £6 trip, £2 macmilan cake sale already paid)
    beauty = £25 (i need my hair cut)
    clothing= £30 ( kids both need winter boots)

winter: more organised on this sorted kids hats etc from last year, lifted out fleece blankets for beds/sofa and hot water bottles, packed away summer clothes and filled bags for charity shop, hung blanket as curtain over door in playroom/office. changed tariff for gas/elec and applied for warm home discount.

be kind: I always am

NSD : i'm aiming for 15 although I do have a lot of low spend days I try to wait till I need something then buy it rather than buying in advance unless it's an offer I can stock up on.

make do: I managed to find an old curtain pole in the shed which I attached over the door in the office I then looped the top of a large blanket over it and safety pinned it to make a door curtain. The kids playroom which doubles as my office is a garage conversion and has a door leading to outside its freezing in winter so i'm hoping this will help.

extra income: I don't work other than being an avon rep. i'm hoping I can put more effort into this to generate more commission for me. I also have some stuff ready to list on ebay and i've restarted doing swagbucks.

christmas: Quite organised. I save with park so have a spending card do to arrive in november, I have also been buying bits all year that I have found on offer and i'm going to try and use some of my stock of avon toiletries as gifts.

exercise: we have a border collie so this isnt usually an issue lol out every night to walk him when DH comes home from work. I also walked the kids to school this morning to save on diesel.

hopefully I can pay off my credit card debt and then start saving for the things that need doing in the house.
    food 6.29/200, diesel o/50, school 12/20, beauty 0/25, clothing 0/30, nsd 1/15
    Last edited by moneysavingfamilycomp; 03-10-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    i find a cup of tea can solve most problems
    but alcohol solves them all
    first blue baby moneysaver 09/05/1993
    pink baby moneysaver born 30/07/2011
    blue baby moneysaver born 28/09/2012
    debt to pay : cc 1217.10 holiday : 607.42
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 3rd Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Turtle #23 checking in!

Brought own lunch to work - check!
    Spent nothing yesterday - check!

Improvise: this was Kitty rather than me, but good improvisation last night. I really buy any dessert-y type things when I shopped at the weekend, so she used the remaining baking apples, made puff pastry and so we had appley pastry things which turned out rather well!

Other: I had a request from Kitty while I was on the way home last night for some beads for her art project. I had a phase of making jewelry, so I dug that out and huzzah! Something suitable for project, and it also got me thinking about the making jewelry thing. Made a bracelet for Kitty with the beads she said she really liked too. This is something with some (perhaps limited) sellable value on Etsy or similar.... hrmmm, maybe a few extra christmas pennies in this!
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 3rd Oct 17, 1:28 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 8,624 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    Afternoon all

Didn't check in yest but have caught up.

Sunday was a NSD

Yesterday was not as wasted £1.75 on chocolate and sweets from shop at work also spent £1 on eggs from colleague, £4.76 in morrisons (mainly Airbnb stuff) and £35 on presents. Wanted to get ruhbarb gin for friend but morrisons sold out so ordered that from Amazon along with nice chocs for a different friend. Then bought Xmas pressies for 2 sets of house bunnies saw a really cool cardboard thing last year but they cancelled the orders after I placed them saw them in stock as add on items so thought I may as well. Only £4 each. Will come out of present fund.

Today should be a NSD I will possibly need bread and milk before Friday shop as I use lots of milk and I have guests for the next 4 nights and nit enough bread so may need to go to Tesco express tomorrow. Should have bought yesterday!

In other news I called sky this morning and cancelled the multiroom I have in the Airbnb room. Not that many guests watch the tv (but enough to make it worth having) but I think freesat is more than enough (a lot of the other rooms in my city don't have a tv). So saved £12. I have the box set package and pay about £15.50 which is not bad as got 60% off. Will cancel in Feb if I can't get a similar price though!

I've been reading a lot more so just signed up for free trial of kindle unlimited. Not going to pay for it though, will stock up in the charity shops once it ends!
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 3rd Oct 17, 1:34 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    I saw something above that said bus fare wouldn't really count as a spend so I just thought I would check whether car parking costs are? I can't manage cycling everyday into uni just yet and so the days I don't cycle in I can't escape car parking costs, will these ruin an otherwise NSD? If so I don't think I will ever hit my target of 15 NSDs.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • Dottydaisy
    • By Dottydaisy 3rd Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Dottydaisy
    No 32 checking in.

Groceries £101/£300. Had a delivery (89) and the rest was at Lidl for extra milk and vegetables. Shouldn't need much more until well into next week.

Fuel Still got 3/4 tank full from September
    NSD 2/31
    No personal spends
    4 packs of tulip bulbs from Lidl for £6.00. Moved last year and no spring flowers in garden.

All meals out of freezer and cupboard yesterday and today. Will be processing all the baking apples which fell off the tree in the wind.

Organised one cupboard and put medication into weekly boxes x 3, help me not to forget to take them.

Today I am grateful for:
    The lovely man who delivers fresh fish from Grimsby straight to the door.
    My dogs for cuddling up to me
    That the front garden is at last taking shape.
    Taking the first positive steps for a long while.

Happy day turtles
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 3rd Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    #5 checking in day 3/31
    Hi Guys,

Apologies I didn't check in yesterday, was out- I'm not sure if I managed a NSD yesterday as I did go out for a meal with OH but we used vouchers and it was pre budgeted...does it count?

Have managed to not spend on lunch for the last 2 days- going to attempt 22 days home brought lunch (or stave) so 2/22 not bad!

Stoptober-The smoking ting didn't go so well, though I haven't smoked today...so there's hope third day lucky?! Managed to download an app that tells me how much I saved- £1.34 so far upto £1752 per year if I can stick with it....been ok so far (all of6hr 43 mins)

Xmas- have started looking at Christmas gifts- I have 10 People to buy for (family) & 2 secret santa's (work) & 7 of best friends kids.
    Am feeling a little guilty about not getting the other kids I have a large family- Perhaps will send them a selection box if im under budget.- actually need to set that budget too- Ill come back on that one.

Organise- Food shop delivered tonight so will Organise new at back of fridge and try to make a meal plan from there.

Today should be an NSD, Also good news I should be seeing £50 refund on my credit card- bad news is I cleared the balance on that one so its not offsetting anything- I guess when I do do a another shop/ pay a bill it will come from there...actually I may use it as part of a Christmas shop. Still will wait to see when it arrives.

Feel like I could be more organised and doing more reading all your check ins- I love them thank you!! so many idea's.

Sx
    If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off & try again... Debt at 5th attempt
    step 1-1 debt vs 100days chpt27- £3452.25/£4603.46 (75%)- deadline 29.12.17
    Step2- cc £380.53/£5482.83 (6.94%) (offset £1500savings when mature-31/03/18)- deadline 01.05.2017- 37.99% of total Debt Overall
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 3rd Oct 17, 2:46 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,158 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Day 3 check in.

NSD 2/15 yesterday but that will be the last for a while.

Mr M small delivery today, food for DD and fur babies while we're away. Last minute bits from Savers and some frozen food from Iceland for when we get back. Need to tot up spends to make sure all still on track.

Painted another wall in the bedroom, will have to finish off when we get back as I'm not painting the day before we go on holiday!
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 3rd Oct 17, 4:30 PM
    • 6,640 Posts
    • 48,690 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I saw something above that said bus fare wouldn't really count as a spend so I just thought I would check whether car parking costs are? I can't manage cycling everyday into uni just yet and so the days I don't cycle in I can't escape car parking costs, will these ruin an otherwise NSD? If so I don't think I will ever hit my target of 15 NSDs.
    Originally posted by DebtFreeDuo
    Hmmm. Good question! Maybe plan how many days you will cycle and how many you will have to use the car. And then all the days that are planned could count as an NSD (assuming all the other NSD rules are kept, of course), but if you drive more and cycle less then you would lose an NSD each day. Gosh,that sounds rather prescriptive! Sorry. It's all part of the planning and looking ahead and being prepared. But the weather may also turn against you and be unsafe for cycling, which is harder to plan for! Good luck,and I hope this makes some sense. Mothernerd will be along later and can comment or challenge.
    NST DDD#1; NSD 9/15; Ex 4/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove 6/31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 3rd Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Hmmm. Good question! Maybe plan how many days you will cycle and how many you will have to use the car. And then all the days that are planned could count as an NSD (assuming all the other NSD rules are kept, of course), but if you drive more and cycle less then you would lose an NSD each day. Gosh,that sounds rather prescriptive! Sorry. It's all part of the planning and looking ahead and being prepared. But the weather may also turn against you and be unsafe for cycling, which is harder to plan for! Good luck,and I hope this makes some sense. Mothernerd will be along later and can comment or challenge.
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Thank you, today literally the only thing I have spent has been parking so I do want to count it as a NSD if I can, Tuesdays I have to drive as I have to drop the LO off on the way and don't want him to have to walk all that way and then have to walk to school afterwards. I'm aiming for 12 cycle days in the month which leaves 10 days of paying for parking. I suppose its still manageable but I wanted to keep my spend days for the weekends.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 3rd Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 6,640 Posts
    • 48,690 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Thank you, today literally the only thing I have spent has been parking so I do want to count it as a NSD if I can, Tuesdays I have to drive as I have to drop the LO off on the way and don't want him to have to walk all that way and then have to walk to school afterwards. I'm aiming for 12 cycle days in the month which leaves 10 days of paying for parking. I suppose its still manageable but I wanted to keep my spend days for the weekends.
    Originally posted by DebtFreeDuo
    Sounds like you have a plan! Using the car is unavoidable. I'm in awe at your dedication to cycling!
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 3rd Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Sounds like you have a plan! Using the car is unavoidable. I'm in awe at your dedication to cycling!
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Thank you, its hard and at times I think I might fall off and get squashed by a car but I'm hoping that never happens! I actually really enjoy cycling there, cycling back not so much.
    SPC 586
    • greent
    • By greent 3rd Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 6,507 Posts
    • 65,679 Thanks
    greent
    Day 3 Check In
    Organise/ Cook from Scratch/ Use things up - All food from stores. Had leftovers for my lunch and I will be having (different) leftovers for my dinner later

Pay debts/ savings - £5.07 op to BTL mtge from c/ac 'save the change' tidies

Budgets
    * Food - 28.44/ 325 (stretch 290)
    * Fuel 0/60
    * Clothes 0/75
    * Gifts 5.50/150
    * Toiletries 0/10
    * Social 0/200 (stretch 150)

NSD - 2/12 - 2nd one achieved today. I *do* need diesel tomorrow/Thurs at latest, but can't remember if that is an ok spend/ NSD if budgeted for.

Improvise - have run out of kitchen bin bags. Have some binbags from the caravan (waaaay too big for the caravan but were left in there by previous owners) They are about half the size of kitchen bin, but they will do. Have had to fill other side of bin with the lid (it's in a large drawer/ cupboard) so people don't throw rubbish in that bit.
    Am also using couch roll as kitchen paper - I cut the roll in half with a bread knife

Exercise
    * Week 1 - 1/4 Nothing today

Jan Goals - "By the end of the year I want to have halved the (non mtge) debt we have and have lost 20lbs - and also get fitter along the way" Have halved non mtge debt which we had at start of year - although new fridge freezer and shower have gone on 0% CC last month. Weight and fitness have definitely been abandoned - so I need to re-weigh myself

Extra income - 50 youg0v points from survey

Christmas -

Get Ready Checklist
    1 - Health - vitamins taken today so 3/31
    4 - Maintenance - need to contact plasterer & electrician by 10/10. (Have mentioned it to electrician's wife - mum at school - but need to do it properly) OH has messaged plumber we used for bathrooms before - fingers crossed he still has the same email.....
    Have messaged plasterer (03/10) - no reply as yet and I phoned plumber (03/10)- no longer trading so now need to find a plumber....

Gratitudes:
    * a warm day
    * the look on DS2's face when I collected him from school (early finish due to Open Eve)
    * DD enjoying the start of Y2 at uni
    * a massive pile of sweet & chilli peppers from my mum's garden
    Last edited by greent; 04-10-2017 at 9:23 AM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 3rd Oct 17, 6:31 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Day 3 check in (Turtle 25)

NSDs: 2/15 - Counting today, have budgeted for 10 car parking days so if this is the only money spent then I will declare it as a NSD.
    Exercise: - Cycled 1/12 (Have upped this to only allow for 10 car parking days, should motivate me to stay out of the car).
    - 10k steps 2/22 I'm counting today as I'm getting on the treadmill shortly to get the 3k I need and didn't want to have to come back to update.
    Extra Income: £50/£150 - none that I am counting today, I have been on swagbucks and hit my daily goal and also have enough on another survey site to cashout but I won't count this until I've actually cashed out.
    Food budget: £4.22/£100 not touched today

Today I used up some leftovers from the freezer for dinner instead of buying more food, tomorrow I will have to buy some as I have other children here Wednesdays and they won't eat any of the food I typically have in which means a special trip to the shops. I could have bought this yesterday whilst I was already buying food, bit of forward planning needed I think in order to meet that NSD target.
    SPC 586
    • fruitloop04
    • By fruitloop04 3rd Oct 17, 6:32 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    fruitloop04
    I don't know what is wrong with me today. I feel quite tearful and my eczema on my hands has really flared up which usually happens when I am really stressed I'm not very good at telling when I am stressed - my body usually tells me with flare ups! I guess I am worried about my sister and her new born (born on Saturday) as they both have an infection and high temps and still in hospital. My sister is in a lot of pain and I really don't like seeing her like that. Well, I have opened the flood gates now...Work is mega stressful at the moment and incredibly frustrating which hasn't helped. I applied for a couple of jobs before I went on holiday (yup only been back at work a couple of weeks and feel like this!) and got an e-mail today inviting me to interview. I think it is for the next level up that I applied for too as the recruitment consultant said they would consider applications for a more senior role that had come available as part of the shortlisting process, but need to speak to the recruitment consultant tomorrow to see. I know I should be really happy I have got an interview but I just feel really guilty. I really like my boss, he has a heart of gold but he (and the company) also drives me insane. I just feel all over the place and exhausted.

Anyway, sorry for the out pour, I really need to get that out and feel better for writing it down.

NSD 2/20 today.
    Determined not to have any alcohol tonight. This would be how I usually relax when I am feeling like this but it will just make me feel worse tomorrow and won't fix the problem.
    Going to do my exercise now. Need to force myself. It will make me feel better afterwards I know.

Sorry for dreary post, will hopefully perk up tomorrow.
    16.08.2017 CC 1 - £2050 £1,500 CC 2 - £1766.82 £1406 Emergency savings: £1250/£6000
    Mortgage - April 2017 £153,000 £149,954
    Debt free by xmas: 1070.86/1500
    (Non Mortgage) Debt Free Date: August 2018
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening all. Number 20 checking in and already rule breaking
    It's been an eventful and rather spendy start to October. I've just had new windows and doors fitted. I'm thrilled because after 13 years of living in a draughty house I finally have double glazing. However, I've paid in cash, so it's been mega spendy, and almost heartbreaking to hand over my hard earned savings. But on the plus side I haven't gotten into debt to pay for it.
    Anyway, I bagged a nsd on the 1st but yesterday we got takeaway as the house was filthy and I was busy, and then obviously today has been a major spend.
    For Stoptober I'm going to continue my attempts to cut right back on sugar. The diabetes spectre is looming large in the background and stressing me out.
    I'm hoping that the double glazing counts as preparing for winter, and will be money saving longer term. My remaining October goals are to start to put back to my savings and crochet hard for Christmas gifts...
    Hope that you feel better soon fruitloop. Remember it's ok to have bad days - just ride them through. I really hope that your sister and the baby are on the up soon as well.
    RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 3rd Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 19,573 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 3
    fruitloop04 - Sending you hugs. Hope your sister and baby health improve.
    crazy_cat_lady I had double glazing installed 2 years ago in the flat and my Mum and I have felt the benefit.
    Another NSD achieved 3/20.
    Did 20 minutes walking and took lunch into work today.
    Used food etc already in the flat.
    Had some chill out time before work in the staff room and read some of book.
    Grateful for:
    Having a reasonable night sleep.
    Managing to cope with work.
    Catching up with 2 episodes of Murder She Wrote with my Mum this evening.
    Managed to sort out for my Mum's glasses to be delivered to home and fitted when it is half term.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 03-10-2017 at 7:32 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 4/15 Food/household budget £32.55/£150
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 3rd Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 6,640 Posts
    • 48,690 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for easy buses and trains, for another mild day, for another really good session with my counsellor, for getting some bunny limbs stuffed, for going to the theatre with dd's class, for not being home too late from the trip, for dd enjoying brownies, for dh getting on with some housey jobs.
    017 sell 351

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 3rd Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    • 6,640 Posts
    • 48,690 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Fruitloop - take care of yourself. Hope stuff improves for you.

Ccl - enjoy the double glazing! Now you can snuggle down on your not-quite-so-new sofa and crochet to your heart's delight.
    017 sell 351

• DawnW
    • By DawnW 3rd Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 4,662 Posts
    • 35,820 Thanks
    DawnW
    Day 3 / 31:
    ((Hugs)) Fruitloop04 - hope things look up for you and yours soon
    CCL, you saved up for your new windows, it is a sensible thing to spend your money on, will save money on energy, and increase the value of your house, so there is really no need to feel guilty

Spend day for me today - I have done so well during September eating down the freezer contents that there isn't much in there except homegrown fruit and veg - so bought the 3 for £10 meat offer in Waitrose, plus a couple of reduced items and a few boring items that I forgot the other day . Household / grocery spends recorded in signature. Aim is to do some batch cooking tomorrow
    Also treated myself to a new frying pan from the cheap shop in town, £5.99, some compost to top up my garden pots, £6. All spends recorded in my little black book!
    Exercise - not much, walked dog to library to return books this morning, and to park this afternoon. Didn't feel like much else as I was awake for most of the night with a headache
    Using up - enough leftovers for lunch for both OH and I, and we finished off some grapes we bought back from holiday afterwards
    NSDs for December 5/15
    Decluttering 23/31

• mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 3rd Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 2,185 Posts
    • 22,355 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Big turtle hugs for everyone. I think I am going to scrap the comments from yesterday and just concentrate on the people I think need it most atm. Everyone seems to be making good progress in at least some of the target areas and no major misbehaving.

FBO glad you are feeling more positive.

Scrimps another baby turtle on the way. We love baby turtles.

Sashanut I hope you got a good night's sleep.

Baileys Babe, laurenh1 and moneysavingfamilycomp welcome to the turtle gang. If I have missed anyone , please let me know.

fruitloop04 When you are juggling too many things, you tend to suppress some of them. The excema is them pushing their heads up to let you know they aren't going away. Hopefully your sister and the baby will be well and at home in a few days.

Your work situation sounds dire. Nothing is worth it, if it makes you miserable. You spend so much time at work that you need to be in a pleasant environment where you can thrive. Too many companies treat employees as a adisposable resource, work them to the limit and do nothing to ease the situation. You need to think about your needs and go for the jobs (remember change, even good change, is always scary).

Well done on resisting alcohol and going for exercise.

DebtFreeDuo My solution is the same as apple's. Estimate how many times you will need to pay for parking and set this aside at the beginning of the month in the same way as paying for kids clubs. You won't lose your SFD for parking unless you spend all the money in that 'envelope'. Hope this is seen as a fair solution - I don't want to start giving blanket exemptions on too many categories.

ccl the double glazing will pay for itself over time and the takeaway is understandable so don't stress.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 03-10-2017 at 9:20 PM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 5/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 433/2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,404Posts Today

7,313Users online

Martin's Twitter