Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 22,382Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER 28th Sep 17 at 9:46 PM
    Ninja Savings Turtles ORGANISE OCTOBER

Several people have indicted that circumstances dictate the continuation of September's Super Scrimpers regime and the tough line instituted by Ninja Savings Kat in her challenges (see NSK).

Austerity October? Austerity with a twist because although the turtle way is difficult we always aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

The Truth is out There
    Question Everything
    Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

ALWAYS Be Kind

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Special exemption for the turtle who's family drink milk by the bucketload. Any requests for special exemptions will be considered (some turtles manage their money in other ways)

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    But let us think about cutting back.
    You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity.

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts particularly for grand-parents and teachers. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family memebrs or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

THE Challenge will run from 00.00 on 1st October until 00.00 on 31st October.

ODD - This month's inspiration is going to be slightly off the wall. Looking forward to how many of you can follow where others boldly go

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Last edited by mothernerd; 29-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 7/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 536/2017
Page 4
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 1st Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 4,738 Posts
    • 28,206 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Day 1 - Off to a good start with NSD 1/15, made a list of everything in freezer and a meal plan revolving around it for the next 3 days, used up some pasta, half a carton of passata and some olives to make a tuna pasta bake My Stoptober goal is to only drink wine at the weekend, although no plans to start this until I come back from holibobs - sun lounger, glass of vino, happy days. 3 days to go and we're off to Lanzarote for a week, then I'll be back on it again, promise
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Purplebonnie
    • By Purplebonnie 1st Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    Purplebonnie
    Organise October

Organise – I work from home and papers tend to get piled up and then I rummage through them when I need something. I have sorted out the pile, burnt old papers and put current papers into a box which I can move around (done). Also need to go through pantry, fridge &freezer to see what I have. I will do a weekly shop, writing down what I think I need and then going through it to see what I actually need (i.e. Do I have it already, can I substitute etc)

Regular – Food budget for month set at £200 – this is for two of us and the dog and includes everything – food, cleaning stuff, etc. Petrol covered by work expenses. I spent £9.20 in Tesco today on a few bits we needed. Hate Tesco prices, will do the rest of the shop in Aldi tomorrow.

Get Ready – we heat our place with a wood burner and throughout the summer have collected enough wood and kindling to see us through the winter. Going to put up a curtain across back door to stop heat loss. Will buy some de-icer when I go to Home bargains tomorrow. Will put summer clothes away today (done)

SFD : 0/15

Improvise : Use an old wall hanging as a curtain for the back door. It is on a pole, so just need two hooks.

Stoptober : no buying anything for me on eBay (my big weakness). Will make do with the clothes I have until I lose enough weight to warrant new clothes (i.e. Hanging off me!). I will use eBay if possible for two birthday presents I have to buy this month.

Exercise : Walk the dog for at least 20 mins per day. Also do back & neck exercises regularly to stop the need for a visit to the physiotherapist soon (done)

One More Time : I need to lose 4 and ½ stone, so will aim for 8lbs this month.

Christmas : keep an eye out for cheap stocking fillers for grandchildren. Organise Xmas Day and get kids to do starters and cheeseboard. Mum & Dad usually pay for the meat so hopefully just veggies and bits & pieces for me to to pay for. Will start buying Cranberry sauce, bread sauce etc with my weekly shop to spread the cost. I think I have a large Xmas pudding leftover from last year. Will have a look (done & I do have one - £5 saved)

Extra Income : I will aim for an extra £100.
    Yesterday I sold a Freeview USB stick and the buyer has just dropped off the £20.

Food Budget : £200 /£9.20
    SFD : 15 /
    Stoptober : No spending on eBay 31/1
    October Goal : Lose 8lbs /
    Extra Income : £100 /£20
    September 2017 Total Debt £37188.89 / DFD 01/05/22
    October 2017 Debt £36149.48 / DFD 01/04/22
    Extra Payments : 0.1% = £37.19 Total paid 0.3%
    MBNA - £5350.73

October Food Budget : £200/£114.94 Extra Income £100 /£81.06
    SFD : 8/31 Weight Loss (Goal 8lbs) :
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 1st Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 19,593 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 1
    Got my 1 NSD today - 1/20.
    Used up 2 items in the cupboard today which I have had for a while.
    Used what I had in to make a batch of scones. Will be used for lunches along with sandwiches.
    Thinking about my goals. Saving up to move is going to be ongoing, so really need to put extra money in when I have got it. Food/household - aim to try and get things under control by the end of the year. Living in hope to achieve this. My other goal should hopefully be achievable by the end of year with reading book/study guides.
    Grateful for:
    Achieving quiet a few household chores.
    Making scones.
    Catching up with a few programmes I recorded during the week.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 01-10-2017 at 7:27 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 5/15 Food/household budget £59.58/£150
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 1st Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 4,666 Posts
    • 35,834 Thanks
    DawnW
    Check in 1 /31
    Grocery / household: Paid milk bill £7.96, shopping £38.00

Beauty - £0

Petrol - £0, walked to supermarket for the shopping, saved fuel and got a bit of exercise. Dragged OH with me, so he did as well

Didn't manage a NSD, shopping was needed

Extra money - No surveys so far, will check back this evening

Prepping for the colder months / Christmas - Not sure if this strictly counts under this heading, but I ordered a case of wine as I was sent a discount code. I don't drink a great deal myself, but find it useful to take one or two bottles from my stash when an impromptu present is needed, or to take to dinner at a friend's or relative's. Doing it this way, I get smarter wine for the same price as supermarket standards.

Social /personal spending, £0

Stoptober - Sensible eating, exercise etc -was doing ok till DD2 appeared with ANOTHER birthday cake for her Dad, whose birthday was yesterday and who had already been made a birhtday cake by DD1 We each had a piece (it was lovely, a HM black forest gateau), and OH will take the rest to the community group he belongs to, for sharing round. Didn't use car for supermarket trip, walked and dragged my trolley

I have set the heating to come on in the bathroom and airing cupboard only, morning and evening. It gets cold and damp now, so it is needed.

No takeaways, coffee shops etc, but we don't usually do this anyway
    NSDs for December 7/15
    Decluttering 50/31

• DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 1st Oct 17, 7:36 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    NSD 1/15

Tomorrow should be better on the exercise and income fronts, today wasn't a nice day for me so haven't made progress elsewhere unfortunately.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 1st Oct 17, 7:39 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 25,662 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Just a quick check so that i don't miss the first day. Spend day today but the next 5/6 should be SFDs. Catch up properly tomorrow
    NST Nov 6
    SFD 3/20 spends 401/625 (98/200 xmas)
    Exercise 5/20
    Debt - all 0% 1000 to go from 5290 (80% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 1st Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 6,224 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Think I've sorted my goals out.
    Was away for a while so had a Tesco order delivered yesterday.Won't need any shopping for a while,I hope. Aiming for 20 NSD.
    Plenty of things in the freezer,will make a list of what is in there and menu plan.

Budget for the month is £135 .Funny ammount but that is what is in my purse.Do have a hairdressers appt this week.The £10 will come out of that. Don't drive so no petrol. My biggest outlay will be fruit and veg.
    Improvise. No idea yet.
    Extra money. Have things on eb*y at the moment and do surveys.
    Stoptober.stop buying junk food. one of my aims at the begining of the year was to loose weight.That hasn't happened.
    Will not have any takeaways.
    Haven't thought much about Christmas yet. Family live away so often take the easy route and send vouchers. That's when surveys come in handy
    That's it I think. Let's hope we all have a good month.

Ilovetea xx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £1,511.20
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 1st Oct 17, 9:54 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    1/31

Bagged my first NSD and spent most of the day using up some ingredients from cupboards. All nuts have been used in flapjacks which is good as I had three packs opened! As they're nut and blueberry flapjacks they'll be good for lunches and breakfast (although pretty calorific but at least I know exactly what went in them). Also made a lemon and poppyseed loaf cake which is in the oven now.

Central heating is not on yet but we do have the fire going. I enjoy a fire on the weekend - it's lovely and cosy in the evenings. Hopefully heating won't come on until the end of the month. Will get a bag of coal for fire (perhaps on Friday) as we don't have much left.

I've also made leek and potato soup for lunches today and will take out some reduced rolls from the freezer for packup. I've also taken out and used some YS mashed potato - I never usually buy the pre-made stuff but I'm up for it when it's reduced to silly price as it's much quicker! Chicken roasted today - will make a pie with leftovers tomorrow which will be dinner. Also made some extra yourkshire puddings and froze them from leftover batter - they didn't rise properly though - I ran out of sunflower oil and used something different. Don't think it got hot enough to be honest so didn't rise properly because of that. I'll remember to pop that on the shopping list.

Still need to sort out my full packup with fruit chopped and ready, will do that later this evening before I go to bed and will also sort out my bag so it's ready to go. It's always a little sad going back to work after a week off but I have Friday off so only a four day work week.
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 01-10-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    December grocery challenge £136.56/£250 | December NSD 4/15
    Credit Card 1: £145 (0%) | Credit Card 2: £2,256.06 (0%) | Credit Card 3: £787.60 (0%) Car Finance: £7,865 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,363 (3.99% APR)
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 1st Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 8,110 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Will set a target of 15 NSDs as I have half term and have just been told I will have 2 uninvited 'guests' descending for an undisclosed amount of time at an undisclosed date somewhere during the holiday.

Going to have to improvise on GF foods, as well as our normal no meat no dairy daily diet, so not sure on budget. Going to make as much from scratch as I can and have a designated M-i-L stash on a high shelf in the pantry but as I try not to think about them (not my circus, not my monkeys!) I can't remember what is up there. Will have to get a chair to stand on and hope the GF YS fairy has been good to me.

Going to try and find free things to do over half term

Not given a thought to C*r*s*m*s, still have DH birthday tomorrow and DS1 birthday during half term. Will have to start saving up but tbh I'd rather make a mortgage overpayment. They, however, have other priorities. Hohum

On the bright side, I have a long list of very small cost, or even free things that need to be done around the house, so for the next two weeks I am going to steam through those. Plenty of curtain hemming and coat hooks putting up that will cost me nothing as I already have all the stuff in. October is going to be Maketober in my house.

Right, stuff to do. See you soon.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • misstara
    • By misstara 1st Oct 17, 10:50 PM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 17,360 Thanks
    misstara
    Here's all my plans for October

Organise.
    Inventory done on cupboards, fridge and freezer. Meal plan made up and shop done yesterday based on what we actually needed.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest
    Budget is set for the month -
    £150 food, £20 social, payment to the debt has been made.

Get Ready for Winter
    Bought some gloves for OH yesterday. I've looked out my hat, gloves and scarf ready for the colder weather. Winter coat and boots will be fine for another year. Need to buy hot water bottles and some salt for the path.

ALWAYS Be Kind
    I always try

No Spend Days
    I'm going to go big and aim for 20. Today was 1/20

IMPROVISE
    I'm generally pretty good at this, am always substituting ingredients

STOPTOBER
    I'm going to try to stop snacking as much. My general diet is not bad and I do lots of exercise but I've put on half a stone recently which I'm putting down to snacking. Epic fail today - I had a scone, some chocolate and some popcorn

EXERCISE
    I'm aiming for at least 15,000 steps a day plus running twice a week and going to the gym once

ONE MORE TIME
    My January goals were to become debt free unfortunately nowhere near and to run a 10k - I've run in 2 events this year

CHRISTMAS
    Not really thought about this so far but plan to make a list and budget in the next few days. I'm working on Christmas day this year but plan to visit my family the week before.

BANNED
    I've budgeted £20 for social spends this month and will avoid all banned places other than this £20.

EXTRA INCOME
    Overtime at work, shifts with 2nd job, surveys

I'll try to post daily.
    Originally posted by mothernerd
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1239.95 (46.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £748.10 (6.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 0/60
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 1/6, Gym 1/6 Groceries target £70.25/£200. NSD target 7/15.
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 1st Oct 17, 11:48 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 24,394 Thanks
    sashanut
    Hi all

Checking in with my first day 1/31 & first attempt at following the plan. Got up this morning raring to go, feeling a tad disheartened now though..see below

Organise. Do not know contents of cupboards freezers etc but do know they are full to bursting. Made meals from what we have in, NSD today 1/15

Regular budget Budget for food set at £250....high to start with but include food for animals (4). Have no idea what is spent but mean to eat what we have in so far

Get Ready for Winter.

Have started getting in fire starter logs, need to get coal. Also bottled gas. We do have CH but don't put it on till we have to...

ALWAYS Be Kind

Do try but today was a struggle with DH!!

No Spend Days

1/15

IMPROVISE

Today have used some ancient paint to start painting cellar, was perfectly fine. LOTS more to do though

STOPTOBER

Bad habits include putting on weight. Need to stick to my SW diet!!

EXERCISE

Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.
    None today outside, see cellar comment above.

ONE MORE TIME

Need to lose weight, not a lot but aim to try & do some before Christmas, otherwise that will go on top of what's already there...not good!

CHRISTMAS

Don't buy an awful lot of Christmas presents outside of immediate family - have a lot of things accumulated already throughout the year. Hopefully the big clear out will help find them. Also make HM hampers for relatives/friends. These usually include some knitted item - this year it's socks. Have done quite a few already, but more needed.

Main bugbear is visit to MIL which can't be avoided at this time of year. Everyone hates it but the relief as we drive away is tremendous..

BANNED

Don't have too many takeaways & that will help with the diet. Sometimes have fish & chips but that's more of a trip out, so could come out of the 'entertainment' budget?

EXTRA INCOME

Need to sell lots on ebay, intended to list some items today but failed there.

First job of the day was to start clearing the house. Do at least something every day but all of October - this is the plan. Have accumulated lots of stuff over the years we have been here & realise that we must sort it out. DH on board with this idea, allegedly although his book stash is massive & he is constantly adding to it..

We have a big cellar & have been storing stuff (food in tin, jars etc) down there on shelves. A little while ago said shelves fell off the wall..imagine the mess. It was cleared up but I realise lots needed chucking out. Many large cobwebs, OOD packets of food, stuff we will never eat - needed to go. Filled 5 bin bags, DH took up to bins. Then we had an argument about what should go in the bin, or not. Eventually I decided to let him do what he wanted, which was not to put them out for collection....

Best just to leave it, but was resentful that he spent 10 mins doing that, then all afternoon on sofa watching tv reading & on computer as he is every day!!. I removed all this gunk, then painted most of the cellar. Plus all the other things, make food, iron, wash etc I'm thinking we can use this newly renovated cellar to store food, but need to make sure it is inventoried so we know what's down there. Being kind was quite hard I have to say....grrrrrr

Sorry for long post, am tired & need to get to bed - night all, hope you had a successful day..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 1st Oct 17, 11:52 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 22,382 Thanks
    mothernerd
    DawnW your family secret santa sounds great. Over the years I have persuaded my mother to do no present deals with most of her friends and she gives us money. However she still produces a pile of tat for a random selection of people including my brother's ex-wife and the lodger.

determined new ms What a lovely relaxed day you planned. An impressive list of goals and well done on those you have achieved.

clippy-girl Congratulations on cancelling the shiny new tv.

Welcome fruitloop04 and Dottydaisy.

Toni'sfriend
    and Sun Addict enjoy your breaks.

Jellybean88 thanks for the reminder about half term Please all share your ideas for free fun.

Eager Elephant Don't Panic. I will allow a few days for any latecomers.

greent amazing and imaginative use of leftover ingredients. I din't have enough foil so used one of DS3's foil takeaway containers as a protective 'hat' for the gammon (not because the gammon was paranoid).

FBO is bouldering as tough as it sounds (imagining some sort of scrambling/ climbing)? There is a heritage beach on Angelsey with a terrific mix of rocks. Technically it is a pebble beach - with 3' square pebbles. Remember to find ways of treating yourself, other than food. Don't beat yourself up.

Shelbi Good luck and good wishes with the giving up.

Purplebonnie well doen on tackling your paperwork. I have mine, mum's and businees paperwork plus embroidery stuff and general craft stuff (mostly in my room).

DebtFreeDuo Treat yourself kindly when that is what you need.

ilovetea I am also guilty of self-sabotage on the healthy eating and losing weight. Doing okay today.

Lauralozzle Your cooking sounds scrummy.

f0xh0les love Maketober.

misstara welcome to junk eaters anonymous. I hate it when I start looking for something because I can't even remember eating it.

I have had a relaxing day but have done some tidying and cooking. The roast beef is in the freezer, sliced and portioned up; the chicken has been used in a wrap and more sliced up in the fridge with another bag to be curried or casseroled; had sausages for tea with hm mash from the freezer and a tin of beans and the gammon has been used to make 'bacon' soup.

Today I am grateful for a quiet day (recharging), for lovely hm food (warm and comforting too) and for having time to read some of my book.
    NST Dec #4 SFD 7/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 536/2017
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 1st Oct 17, 11:56 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    bizzie
    Check in #1/31
    Back tomorrow to post figures when the month gets underway properly.
    Groceries 211.63/400 Personal Spends ....../100
    NST December #29 NSD 7/15 @ 13/12/17
    Goals for 2017: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 2nd Oct 17, 12:00 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 22,382 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Hugs sashanut. One of the sites I have been looking at has an embroidery that says 'I love you more today than I did yesterday - yesterday you were a real as------.'

Congrstulations on all you have achieved. Sleep well.

(there is another embroidery that says 'Never go to sleep on an argument - lie awake and plot revenge. However we will be kind - well done on keeping calm..
    • fruitloop04
    • By fruitloop04 2nd Oct 17, 8:09 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    fruitloop04
    These are my commitments:

Several people have indicted that circumstances dictate the continuation of September's Super Scrimpers regime and the tough line instituted by Ninja Savings Kat in her challenges (see NSK).

Austerity October? Austerity with a twist because although the turtle way is difficult we always aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

The Truth is out There
    Question Everything
    Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.
    This is something I have started on I have ran down all cupboards and the freezer and now the freezer is full of homemade stews, soups and cottage pie amongst other things! This is something I am going to continue - batch cooking and freezeing!

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.
    I have been using the 'piggy bank' method for the last couple of months and this really helps me budget (although I have 'borrowed' from some of these accounts when needed which I am not going to do this anymore. As everything is allocated in these piggy banks, I am going to give myself a budge of £100 for this month personal spending. This seems a lot but I am going out for dinner 3 times this month (I can't get out of any of these but I am hoping my OH's parents will pay for one of them!!).

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

ALWAYS Be Kind

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Special exemption for the turtle who's family drink milk by the bucketload. Any requests for special exemptions will be considered (some turtles manage their money in other ways) I am going to go the whole hog and go for 20 NSDs purely on personal items. I go to a club once a week so good idea about putting that money aside on 1 day to save on NSDs!

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants). Finger's crossed nothing will break but will look at repairing/doing without if needed!

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate. I don't smoke but do drink regularly. I do like having a drink but will limit this to twice a week max (at the moment it is every day!!!

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible. This fits in very well with my health kick in the last week -
    this will help me stay accountable.

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months. My main goal is to clear CC2 by the end of January (it will be tough!) and then clear it each month as it is a reward card. My LBM was about 6 weeks ago and I haven't looked back and feel I have come a long way since. I am determined to live within my means.

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity. I have some money in my 'gifts' account for Christmas but I do need to add more in to it. We already do secret santa with my friends which saves and I have agreed with my sisters to buy for the kids only this year. I have told my OH that we aren't going mad this year. We don't need anything so I have said we buy each other one meaningful gift although we haven't set a limit I have said don't spend too much.

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts particularly for grand-parents and teachers. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family memebrs or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).

If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly . My work paid for us last year so hopefully will be the same this year. We also do a friends Christmas where we go out for a meal but I love this and we never go anywhere expensive.

ODD - This month's inspiration is going to be slightly off the wall. Looking forward to how many of you can follow where others boldly go

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends. This definitely fits in to my health kick!! I am running the take your own lunch to work thread and this has kept me focused.

[COLOR=magenta]EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).
    [/COLOR Unfortunately I don't paid overtime (salaried and have to take the time back) but I am going to register for survey sites and have got a few things on fleabay with more to be put on. I also need to put a claim in for mileage - I never do it - stupid I know!]

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Originally posted by mothernerd
    Last edited by fruitloop04; 02-10-2017 at 8:13 AM.
    16.08.2017 CC 1 - £2050 £1,500 CC 2 - £1766.82 £1406 Emergency savings: £1250/£6000
    Mortgage - April 2017 £153,000 £149,954
    Debt free by xmas: 1070.86/1500
    (Non Mortgage) Debt Free Date: August 2018
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 2nd Oct 17, 8:31 AM
    • 4,738 Posts
    • 28,206 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    As I'm off work I've got time to list my pledges:

Organise list of freezer items made, will use up stocks from here and store cupboard first.

Budgets: money in bank to cover all bills, credit card paid off. Food budget for the month is £250, other spending £400. Will look at shaving 10% off somewhere.

Get ready for winter need to book in flu jabs for Mr SA and I. He had a stem cell transplant 4 years ago so we both have to have one. Should've done this last month but forgot all about it. Also need to sort out heating programme as it's a brand new system and I've not got used to it yet.

Always be kind I'll try

No spend days aiming for 15

Improvise still got ongoing home improvements which ideally I'd like finished by Christmas. Some new items will need to be bought but if I can make do by up cycling some things I will.

Stoptober aiming to only drink wine at weekends. Need to reinstate counting my WW points as am 4lb over goal at the moment.

Exercise aiming to do 20k steps a day plus 3 times a week in the gym once I'm back at work.

One more time get back into WeightWatchers properly, I'm a Gold member who has lapsed a bit. Also aiming to stick to budgets, which I always say I'm going to do but fall off the wagon.

Christmas not that many presents to buy, just DS and GF, DD, DGD and DGS plus Mr SA. Already got the money in my VSP which I've been saving all year. Going to two work Christmas meals, one of which I've paid in full for and the other £10 deposit.

Banned this will have to start when I get back from holiday although have got a lunch with friends planned for when I get back which will still be going ahead.

Extra income just started doing surveys again, TCB should be payable soon, often get shopping vouchers from work. Will keep a running total.

Report will try to check in daily with progress except for when I'm on holiday.

Good luck everyone
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 2nd Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 22,382 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Day Two Inspiration
    WE are all stories in the end
    Just make it a good one
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 2nd Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 25,662 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Good morning,

check in 2/31 and here are my goals.

Organise : checked my cupboards, freezer and fridge. Will be fine till next weekend and might even be able to prep some food for when we go away the week after.

Regular: Budgets set and debt is paid. My budgets are groceries+HH+other = 480 and I spend already 204. Bought some bedside table lamps and a floor lamp (only £17 together in Tesco plus bulbs). Also bought some scented candles for the bathroom for me time and some things for my mum's birthday parcel. £103 spend so far on groceries and we have plenty.

Winter : shovel and salt at the ready (not needed it really for a few years). Car is sorted to, water, paper towels, sick bags, first aid kits, blanket. Hopefully the house will be warmer as we can shut the doors now (cat passed away). Hopefully get a new front door soon too. Made sure every child had the flu jab and FIL will get his soon too.

I'll aim for a minimum of 17 SFDs. Not sure how well I do the second week when we're away.

Improvise : would like to finish our bedroom for free (need mirror and picture)

Stoptober and exercise: Race on Sunday so will have to be good anyway. Would like to stop getting myself down about what I haven't achieved and acknowledge things a I have achieved.

My goals are still on target (debt free by 40 in Feb 18)

Christmas: I have ordered books for all the kids we give to. Last year I started making hats for them, might finish them this year and bake cookies, make sweets. The adult will mainly get HM limoncello and HM fudge. All will be wrapped in paper from the stash or HM crafty wrapping (got the stuff all last year but got delivered after Christmas. So got plenty this year.

Earn: will try to earn a few pennies from surveys and NOT spend them before Christmas. Will also check my Tesco vouchers.

A neighbour gave me a bag of cooking apples. What is the best way of storing them (will use them mainly for crumble and pie). Chop and freeze or chop/stew and freeze?

Ta
    Last edited by thriftylass; 02-10-2017 at 7:56 PM.
    NST Nov 6
    SFD 3/20 spends 401/625 (98/200 xmas)
    Exercise 5/20
    Debt - all 0% 1000 to go from 5290 (80% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
    • greent
    • By greent 2nd Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 65,729 Thanks
    greent
    thrifty - just chop & freeze will be fine. I chop them into a freezer bag where I've squeezed some lemon juice to stop them going brown, toss them around and then bung them in the freezer
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1445.57/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 2nd Oct 17, 1:34 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Austerity Turtle #23 Reporting in!

Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards
    Cupboards and freezer inventoried and meals planned for the week,
    including in-stock items. Budget of £40 for the week, came in at £43 but did buy large quantity of tea bags, and we were out of black pepper to grind, which put the price up a bit, but are also not needed on a weekly basis.
    Bolognese (x3 dinners) cooked yesterday.
    Honey roast veg risotto will cover 2 more meals during the week.
    "Fridge pasta surprise" (hoovering up any remaining fridge items) will cover the rest!
    Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise.
    Hoping I've selected easy enough meals to carry this through. Should be OK provided I don't have a really fatiguey day.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest
    Budget is planned for the month. Wages have gone in, paid some off credit cards and have been filtered into different accounts - monthly bills, monthly spends (shopping, fuel etc), house/car saving and presents saving.

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low).
    Aiming for 17 NSDs this month (up from 7 achieved in September for the 3 weeks I became a DFW.

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).
    I shall certainly be having a think about this one throughout the month and will update if I come up with anything good!

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.
    I've put myself on a Kickstarter ban, and instigating an uber ban. A night in playing boardgames at a friends is a cheap night, until factoring in a taxi home. So, drive to games night and back will be cheaper

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.
    Hoping to get to 3 dance classes (possibly 4) per week. Getting out for a walk in the woods maybe on Friday or the weekend.

You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity.
    Friends and I already have a no presents pact. Brother and I are similarly financially situated, so we can easily do a no presents christmas. There's only 3 children among me and brothers, cousins, so that should be manageable. We tend to keep a limit on amount spent. Kitty wants to go on holiday with a friend in the summer, so she will have contributions for that from me and grandparents etc.

Will think on this one ....

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.
    One of my oldest friends is visiting next weekend. Not seen her in ages, so I've budgeted a little extra in "meals out" and "entertainment" categories, though I don't need to go too silly as she's very understanding and will be happy to not do expensive things Also accounted for likelihood of meeting a friend who's currently off work for moral support at some point during the month

I think you're doing a grand job of support! Lovely to actually be open about all this with you all. Thankyou all for being there!
    Last edited by Tea&Kittens; 02-10-2017 at 4:20 PM. Reason: To sort out some wonky colour formatting I left in!
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,174Posts Today

5,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin