Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,190Posts
    • 22,399Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER 28th Sep 17 at 9:46 PM
    Ninja Savings Turtles ORGANISE OCTOBER

Several people have indicted that circumstances dictate the continuation of September's Super Scrimpers regime and the tough line instituted by Ninja Savings Kat in her challenges (see NSK).

Austerity October? Austerity with a twist because although the turtle way is difficult we always aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

The Truth is out There
    Question Everything
    Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

ALWAYS Be Kind

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Special exemption for the turtle who's family drink milk by the bucketload. Any requests for special exemptions will be considered (some turtles manage their money in other ways)

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    But let us think about cutting back.
    You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity.

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts particularly for grand-parents and teachers. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family memebrs or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

THE Challenge will run from 00.00 on 1st October until 00.00 on 31st October.

ODD - This month's inspiration is going to be slightly off the wall. Looking forward to how many of you can follow where others boldly go

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Last edited by mothernerd; 29-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 9/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 672/2017
Page 20
    • moneysavingfamilycomp
    • By moneysavingfamilycomp 12th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 568 Posts
    • 1,821 Thanks
    moneysavingfamilycomp
    good morning all hugs to everyone with problems

sisters visit yesterday so not a NSD but she did bring homemade leek and potato soup with her for our lunch.

organise: i'v had no energy lately so not much done but hoping to get some jobs ticked off today

winter prep: bought kids brushed cotton sheets used some of my christmas saving voucher (park) so didnt come out of this months budget. will buy quilt cover sets from ald* next week.

NSD : still at 5/15

make do: found DS halloween costume from last year which should still fit and the accessories to go with the new one for DD (bought from car boot) in the house so dont need to buy anything.

extra inc : one item sold on eb*y need to post that today £5, will check out swagbucks surveys later. anyone recommend any other survey sites which are worth doing ?

xmas : managed to get a small present to go with DS2 stuff and another cheap item for elf on the shelf prop. also decided what i'm getting 2 x nieces.

excercise : walked kids to school 4/5 plus normal dog walks.

now I better go and get organised and complete some of my to do list

food 89.52/200, diesel 10/50, school 17/20
    i find a cup of tea can solve most problems
    but alcohol solves them all
    first blue baby moneysaver 09/05/1993
    pink baby moneysaver born 30/07/2011
    blue baby moneysaver born 28/09/2012
    debt to pay : cc 1217.10 holiday : 607.42
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 12th Oct 17, 5:07 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Today was a bit of a write off. I didn't sleep well (stomach cramps) so at 7.30 C told me to stay in bed and he'd see to the gas man (due to arrive at 10.00).15 minutes later huge crash in bathroom and I find C lying on the floor. He'd slipped getting out of the shower. I managed to get him up (not too badly damaged) and (you've guessed it) the gas man arrived early. There we were – him naked, me in my dressing gown and not much else, toilet seat in bits and floor covered in water. It was quite embarrassing.
    C's back is now turning a fetching shade of purple and he's in a bit of pain when he moves but he's refusing to go to the doctor. Better keep an eye on him.

ORGANIZE: Not a chance. Everything has just been put back where it was. Replacing toilet seat has been added to the list. Luckily, I have one which I bought some time ago but couldn't fit because I was waiting for “someone” to take the old one off. Not a problem now.

GET READY FOR WINTER: As you may have guessed I've done nothing today

Check the torches are working
    Look out winter hat, scarf, gloves and boots
    Look out tracks for covering shoes for walking in icy weather
    Council are responsible for gritting path and lane but might buy some salt anyway.
    ALWAYS BE KIND: I really tried but I think he just wanted to be left alone.

IMPROVISE: My son is still feeling poorly so didn't want his mince and tatties last night. It's now been changed into cottage pie for C and I tomorrow.

STOPTOBER: Didn't really have any alternative but to be good.

EXERCISE: Absolutely none

ONE MORE TIME: I've only eaten a slice of toast and that was a struggle so hopefully that will help the weight loss.

CHRISTMAS: Least said about that the better. It didn't even enter my head.

NSD: 2/15. I suppose that's a positive

EXTRA INCOME: Did one survey.

So all in all started off bad and fell away (as my friend, Jayne, used to say) but so long as he's alright that's the main thing. Tomorrow will be better.
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 12th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Day 12

Have been a little MIA for a few days but have tried to keep on top of the NSDs if nothing else.

NSDs: 8/15
    Exercise: Cycled - 1/12
    10k steps - 4/22
    Food Budget: 54.80/100
    Extra Income: 76.84/150

The only thing that has changed is the NSDs unfortunately. Today I am grateful for the bottle of wine that I have had in my fridge for a couple of weeks, its going down very nicely this evening.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 12th Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 19,625 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 12
    NSD achieved today 10/20
    Used what I had in today for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    Read my book, walked for 20 minutes and took my lunch in today.
    Booked a cab for tomorrow as my Mum and I have a GP appointment. Will go into work after I have taken my Mum home.
    Toni'sfriend Hope C is alright and recovers soon.
    Grateful for:
    For having time to finish reading another book. Got another book ready for tomorrow.
    Pleasant weather going home from work.
    Got through the day at work.
    Had an easy dinner tonight.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 12-10-2017 at 7:16 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 6/15 Food/household budget £59.58/£150
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 12th Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Yesterday and today have been nsds so I'm at 6/15. This is great. I literally have not left the house today. It's felt amazing. I haven't done that in years.
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 12th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 22,399 Thanks
    mothernerd
    I have a free day tomorrow so will comment on your posts then (best wishes for a swift recovery to C, Toni'sfriend). Was still awake when the clock struck 7am but dozed off, so have done the day on 2 hours sleep.

I had a fairly productive night, a couple of hours of cutting and sticking and aslo took a small mushroom box and gathered up every small scrap of paper, button, sequin,bead and mini peg I could find. Want to have another tidying push tonight so I can start with clear space tomorrow.

I am very tired but think I need to do some 'unwinding' before I can sleep. My typing is all over the place. Will read and then sleep. Back with bags of inspiration (and boundless energy) tomorrow.
    NST Dec #4 SFD 9/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 672/2017
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 12th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 24,380 Thanks
    Fmess
    SFD number 6 here, I think,

Work is crazy and I'm grumpy, the dogs keeping looking at me oddly so I know I'm behaving differently. Poor things.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 0/15 Food 65.06/120 Personal 91.34/350 Petrol 40.01/80
    • Scrimps
    • By Scrimps 12th Oct 17, 9:55 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    Scrimps
    Organise: same as every day this month - decorating
    -Regular: 142/200 no change
    -Get ready for winter: no change today
    -Always be kind: think I covered this today
    NSD: today was not a NSD - 4/20. Reusable nappies were going very cheap online so I bought them
    Stoptober: No budget fiddling today
    Exercise: Walked to and from work.
    Banned: stuck to no work food shopping
    Extra Income: earned 30p on onepoll
    missed 2 days of logging in so far this month.
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 12th Oct 17, 10:03 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 6,236 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Hello again.
    Check in 11/31
    Nsd 9/31
    All food from stores.
    Haven't been out,thinking a bit of fresh air might do me good.
    Been meaning to make a list of things I want to do and one for things I have to do.Just seems a lot of effort. Think I need a bit of a kick up the behind

ilovetea xx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £1,511.20
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 12th Oct 17, 11:42 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    bizzie
    Check in #12/31.
    Grocery shopping picking out best offers in each one as have all but one of the well known ones within walking distance.
    So still at 6/15 NSD and will update signature tomorrow.
    Groceries 211.63/400 Personal Spends ....../100
    NST December #29 NSD 7/15 @ 13/12/17
    Goals for 2017: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 12th Oct 17, 11:56 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 24,394 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 6 checking in
    Hi all

No NSD today as items purchased by DH from farm shop so still 7/15

Organise: All housework related today due to visitors imminent arrival..cleaned room, all of front hall & back hall which are the size of rooms & need doing as en route to downstairs facilities. Looks like it hasn't been done for months due to presence of 3 large hairy dogs overnight. Therefore can only be done after they've gone out in the morning. Cursing decision to have pets as washing all tiles on hands & knees. DD comment - 'You always get stressed out when people visit' Gah I wonder why.........

Lunch: Sandwiches made for guests, teacakes, growlers & meats purchased from local farm shop also apple pie (hangs head in shame as have apples to make one, ran out of time) although only 99p

Supper was Baked spuds & HM calzone made from wraps. quick & easy as pretty tired

Food budget: £191.96/250

Be kind: Yes even when DH arrived back with..TWO trays of eggs. - only one was requested. OK so why did you buy 2 then? Ah well I have a good reason...the cashier was chatting to me & I forgot the tray of large eggs. After I paid I remembered - but then they don't accept transactions of under £5 - so I had to buy 2 trays........Anyone know what to do with 72 eggs? For a family of 2, sometimes 3 people?? Ya gotta laugh

One more time: Yep on SW again, did ok till late on then ate a few more things than I should

Extra Income: A few small bids on my eBay items, peanuts tbh

Christmas: Nothing today

Exercise: Not as such, see cleaning stuff above

Heating: still off

Grateful for: Friends visiting

No migraine despite getting stressed out

Heated duvet - always, what an invention..

Mothernerd Sorry to hear you are not so chipper, look after yourself, thanks for keeping us on the straight & narrow..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 13th Oct 17, 1:31 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 22,399 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Day 13 Inspiration
    Have you noticed there are no recipes for using leftover chocolate
    • DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 13th Oct 17, 6:29 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    DancingDragons
    Would it be too late to join in this month? If it is I'll start next month. I'm a natural MSE, but have only just come across this thread/approach.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 13th Oct 17, 7:06 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 8,159 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Day 13

Yesterday WAS a NSD so I am now at an impressive 2/15.

Last day of school today before half term for a week. What do the kids want to do?
    Despicable Me 3. Which handily is on K1ds Club so cheap excursion. Also W0nderW0man is out on dvd. so will get one as it is even cheaper than K1ds Club, and I have found a whole lb of popping corn in the pantry. Apart from that they only want computers, so I will bring down the wellies and we can have a few mudlark expeditions (only petrol costs)

Also, late last night, threatened visitors for next week cancelled.
    Glad I only bought a few extras

Plasterer came to quote. He really seemed to know what he was doing, but the price was horrific. Will get a few more quotes.
    Why is there not just a list somewhere? Skimming ceiling, ££ per sqm. etc.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #161
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 13th Oct 17, 7:07 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 8,159 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Oh yeah, there is no price list as some are better than others. Boo.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #161
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 13th Oct 17, 7:13 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 2,329 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi all

Hope everyone is ok

I am hoping today will be NSD #9 as I am only off to mums.

Wont be doing much on the organise & excersize front as Im away but I am hoping for a call about my tax free childcare im owed and I will be chatting about xmas with my Mum.

Not nice weather here at all. Greatful for a roof over my head, my gorgeous boys and birthday cake following a chat I had yesterday about zero hour contracts and food banks, I am feeling very lucky to have everything I need especially for my kiddie winks xx
    • misstara
    • By misstara 13th Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 17,362 Thanks
    misstara
    Sorry have missed a couple of days of posting, work is incredibly busy and stressful so the last couple of evenings I've been in bed super early.

Organise - all meals from stores.

Budgets - £116.40/£150 food, £15/£20 social
    Paid £4.62 to the debt on Wed

NSDs - now at 9/20

Be kind - am trying although struggling as I'm tired.

Christmas - no further on with this

Exercise - exceeding my daily step challenge plus ran home from work on Wed

Extra income - 90 mins overtime at work both Wed and yesterday.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1239.95 (46.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £748.10 (6.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 0/60
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 2/6, Gym 1/6 Groceries target £70.25/£200. NSD target 9/15.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 13th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 22,399 Thanks
    mothernerd
    DancingDragons you are October turtle #40. Welcome
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 13th Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 22,399 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Extra inspiration
    I'm sending you a HUG because you are LOVED

Not forgotten you all. Had a lovely sleep but still a bit dozy (and clumsy). I have a list and you are on it. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
    • greent
    • By greent 13th Oct 17, 12:35 PM
    • 6,525 Posts
    • 65,843 Thanks
    greent
    Day 12......
    I did do a post yesterday afternoon, but can't see it, so here's another one!

Organise/ Cook from Scratch/ Use things up -Yep

Pay debts/ savings - £10 transferred to kitchen savings fund 1

Budgets
    * Food - 126.84/ 325 (stretch 290)
    * Fuel 60/60
    * Clothes 23/75 - £2 on a good branded immaculate condition base layer top for rugby for DS2 from his PTA thrift shop
    * Gifts 58.91/150
    * Toiletries 0/10
    * Social 72.50/200 (stretch 150) - £2 for 2 cups of tea at a school event

NSD - 7/12 See above - £4 spent

Improvise -

Exercise
    * Week 1 - 3/4
    * Week 2 - 1/4 - ankle and front of foot still sore and stiff

Jan Goals - "By the end of the year I want to have halved the (non mtge) debt we have and have lost 20lbs - and also get fitter along the way"
    Debt at start of year more than halved.
    Weight/ fitness = 2/20lb

Extra income -£1.74 cashback claimed in Amaz0n vouchers New 0% (30 months for purchases) CC applied for and got (will use for some kitchen items and keep some money in account instead!) - £21 cback if it tracks properly

Christmas -

Get Ready Checklist
    1 - Health - vitamins taken today so 9/31
    4 - Maintenance - seeing kitchen designer again here on Monday.
    Plumbing/ bathroom - emailed someone but tehy are fully booked until Feb - shame, as they looked good
    Electrician - still to do
    Plasterer - messaged him - need to send pics

Gratitudes:
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1445.57/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1985/2017 items
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,810Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter