Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,185Posts
    • 22,355Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER 28th Sep 17 at 9:46 PM
    Ninja Savings Turtles ORGANISE OCTOBER

Several people have indicted that circumstances dictate the continuation of September's Super Scrimpers regime and the tough line instituted by Ninja Savings Kat in her challenges (see NSK).

Austerity October? Austerity with a twist because although the turtle way is difficult we always aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

The Truth is out There
    Question Everything
    Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

ALWAYS Be Kind

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Special exemption for the turtle who's family drink milk by the bucketload. Any requests for special exemptions will be considered (some turtles manage their money in other ways)

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    But let us think about cutting back.
    You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity.

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts particularly for grand-parents and teachers. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family memebrs or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

THE Challenge will run from 00.00 on 1st October until 00.00 on 31st October.

ODD - This month's inspiration is going to be slightly off the wall. Looking forward to how many of you can follow where others boldly go

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Last edited by mothernerd; 29-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 5/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 483/2017
Page 17
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 9th Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Well, today was much better than yesterday. I've fixed the older of the two laptops (no idea how I did it) and replaced the broken bulb. Contacted the holiday company and sorted out the payment.

ORGANIZE: All today's meals have come from freezer and I've made more soup for the boy's lunch. Curry for tomorrow's dinner using chicken breast from freezer is cooking as we speak. Must make a proper meal plan, though. Yesterday I made a long list of things I have to do this month. I've managed to tick quite a few off but, unfortunately, added even more. I suppose that's the way of lists.

GET READY FOR WINTER: Arranged the flu jab. Working on the others

Check medicine cupboard
    Check there are enough candles and matches and that the torches are working
    Look out winter hat, scarf, gloves and boots
    Look out tracks for covering shoes for walking in icy weather
    Council are responsible for gritting path and lane but might buy some salt anyway.
    ALWAYS BE KIND: Was much better today. Haven't shouted or lost my temper.

NSD: 0/12. Still nothing but haven't spent much. Needed a few things for son's lunches. Must start the spending diary.

IMPROVISE: Always try to do this. I have a partner who canít stand waste.

STOPTOBER:No rubbish and have avoided the G & T.

EXERCISE: Walked to shops and back again.

ONE MORE TIME: See Stoptober. Won't see how I'm doing till weigh in next week.

CHRISTMAS: Bought some lovely little boxes of chocolates in Aldi as part of my sister in law's present. Didn't cost much and her present will be actually be under budget.

EXTRA INCOME: Tried some surveys but got screened out again.

Off to do some of the ironing mountain.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 9th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    laurenh1
    determined im sorry to read about your anxiety, I am an awful worrier& I struggle to explain to hub sometimes that I can't help it!!

Managed to stick to a NSD though I got some yellow sticker chocs which im putting up for xmas. Got some Amazon vouchers come through that I am debating getting some extra stocking fillers for the kids, maybe a couple of books!! I dont want to spend them just because though

Hope every one else has had a lovely day.

Those bath salts sound worth it
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 9th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Hi Dizzy

Well there's lots of lovely free things around here. Halloween (I know everyone does halloween) my estate really makes an effort for the kids. Id guess 90 percent of houses are decorated, we get 100s of kids. Bonfire we have an amazing display and then ive booked a light show in York , we are going with another family, I got them tickets as a wedding gift. I have booked tickets on the santa express ( courtesy of Grandma ) and then ive picked out a few special English heritage events. My downfall is days out. I can do without physical things but i do love an outing xx
    Originally posted by laurenh1
    I completely agree I am the same. I love taking the kids out making memories. I haven't booked any Santa things yet. Never really thought about bonfire night but I'm sure there's a display around. They all sound lovely. What wonderful memories u will make.
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 9th Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 19,577 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 9
    NSD achieved today 7/20
    Brought lunch into work and walked 20 minutes.
    Read my book on bus, before work and during lunchtime.
    Still trying to cut my time spent of social media. At least I have not being playing 2 games on my laptop which was taking up a lot of time.
    Did achieve a few things in work.
    Have been doing surveys but keep getting screened out of them.
    Sending hugs who are in need of them.
    Grateful for:
    Considering I left work late(10 minutes), I managed to get home about 5.55pm.
    Washing the dishes, drying them and putting them away before going to bed. This helps my stresses levels in the morning as not to see dirty dishes and washing the dishes that I need.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 10-10-2017 at 8:04 AM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 5/15 Food/household budget £32.55/£150
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 9th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    determined im sorry to read about your anxiety, I am an awful worrier& I struggle to explain to hub sometimes that I can't help it.

Those bath salts sound worth it
    Originally posted by laurenh1
    I too am an awful worrier. Struggle with anxiety- maybe that's what brings us all here?
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi all
    Sorry I've been so quiet - dying under my pile of stress, and then spending my free time clearing up after the new windows, and enjoying my warmer house.
    Work is really hard at the moment - I just don't get a minute to myself and then I'm too tired for much 'me time' when I get home.
    So, I would like to thank mothernerd for her daily inspiration - which has helped me to motivate myself to read and post on here.
    And say a massive congratulations to FMess on the new bathroom, with bath
    RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • fruitloop04
    • By fruitloop04 9th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    fruitloop04
    mothernerd you make me tired with what you fit in to a day!!

Back at work but took my lunch and made double for tomorrow too Made a mince, spices and veggies meal tonight (doing low carb) and have 3 portions to go in the freezer! Did pick up some bottles of water (pack of 4 on offer for £2) as a single water was 60p and I like to have a new one each week so planning ahead!

My OH wants to see Bladerunner at the cinema but the only day we can see it is at an independent cinema so no deals Whilst I was looking I have found a show with Phil Jupitus at the local arts venue for £15 a ticket. I have seen him there before and it was a great night...this will blow my personal budget eeek!

My totals are so far:
    NSD: 5/20
    Food: £133.54/£280
    Personal: £46.93/£100
    Alcohol Free Days: 6
    Exercise: None so far

Grateful for: My Japanese anemone still flowering! The training I delivered today going well and getting positive feedback
    16.08.2017 CC 1 - £2050 £1,500 CC 2 - £1766.82 £1406 Emergency savings: £1250/£6000
    Mortgage - April 2017 £153,000 £149,954
    Debt free by xmas: 1070.86/1500
    (Non Mortgage) Debt Free Date: August 2018
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 9th Oct 17, 9:03 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    laurenh1
    thanks Dizzy I agree, I think memories are so important.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 9th Oct 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today was not a NSD, it was up until 20.30 and then I found the blinds for my bedroom at a reduced price and with cashback that was 20% of the total price for 2 blinds. So I bought them.

DH is still ridiculously stressed so I am being particularly kind to him. It is kind to go and find the two bottles of beer-free beer in the fridge that he claimed were not there. I knew they were so he not only got gently mocked, he also got a surprise beer flavoured fizzy drink.

Although I am spending, I am making sure there are discount codes and cashback on all bits and bobs. I am reusing and using up screws and rawl plugs and making good use of the stuff in the shed before going anywhere near a shop.

Going to be waiting in on a few deliveries over the next couple of days so will start prepping the huge mountain of YS veg I got yesterday. And baking too, need to finish off the apples and will make a cherry cake for lunchboxes. I will freeze something too, or it will just get eaten.

'Borrowing' the football off the internet instead of spending on a football channel. It really is much more civilised.

DH put the heating on for an hour yesterday - the sw1ne.
    Good job he can't work the timer setting He can only turn it on for an hour at a time if he feels cold. The house is fine though - the kids are having hot water bottles now, but I think that is psychological now they are going to bed in the dark. I have £200 credit, I will let him have an hour.

4 days left until Half Term (chin up teaching-types)
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 09-10-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 9th Oct 17, 9:37 PM
    • 2,575 Posts
    • 24,355 Thanks
    Fmess
    Thanks ccl I'm crazy busy too and trying to not slip into the depressed/stressed/anxious habits that usually start about October as the days get shorter and work gets tougher.

Today was SFD number 4. Lots of steps due to work and dog walking. Just had another bath I can't decide if it's relaxing though as I'm so excited by every bath I have!
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 0/15 Food 65.06/120 Personal 91.34/350 Petrol 40.01/80
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 9th Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 2,185 Posts
    • 22,355 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Hugs for ccl, all the worriers and anyone else who wants one.

Well done on fixing the laptop and replacing light bulbs Toni'sfriend. I bought some for the kitchen 2 or 3 weeks ago (had 3 in but more had gone) but haven't had a good 'going up the ladder' day - I can do it but have to feel right. DS3 does most of the light bulbs but doesn't do ladders - this means he does them all (standing on the ground) except the kitchen ones which are up against the 8'9" ceiling).

greent my eyes are tired (done lots of embroidery) and I read it as ' Will massage the plasterer in a bit'. We do love a good barter in turtle land.

Kerry Woman doing the pots before bedtime is a habit I should adopt. I just stop when they threaten to fall off the draining board. I didn't go to look for any pots on Saturday. It wasn't a problem because when I had cleared some room in the kitchen, DS3 and Beloved put piles of pots in all the spaces (when I had gone to bed).

Had a quiet relaxing day at mum's. Went via the library (most of the books returned), B**ts (bought a sandwichwith my points but have 'won' £5 - have to claim via text) and Tosco for own brand soap and toothpaste (put some in foodbank box) bananas, tongue and baby spinach leaves - mum is low in iron and the podiatrist and myself were telling her what foods to eat + a few more bits (had already filled the rucksack with the things I bought her on Friday). I will add £10 to my food spends and adjust it when I work out how much was mum's.

Today I am grateful for easing into the day - I think trying to rush would have made everything worse, for mum wanting to watch films this afternoon and letting me watch 'Life on Mars' this evening. I think she secretly likes it - I asked to watch it a few weeks ago and now she keeps saying it's on and I can watch it if I want.
    NST Dec #4 SFD 5/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 483/2017
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 9th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Short post as it's getting late.
    Haven't read through todays post.Hugs to all that need them.
    7th NSD today.
    All food from freezer fridge and cupboards.
    Will catch up with you all tomorrow.

ilovetea xxx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £1,511.20
    • misstara
    • By misstara 9th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 17,342 Thanks
    misstara
    Organise - all meals taken with me to work. Really need to do a food shop tomorrow so will make a list once I get home tonight

Budget - £59.85/£150 food, £15/£20 social

NSDs - 7/20

Stoptober - no snacking today

Exercise - over 19,000 steps

Extra income - half hour overtime at my work plus 5 hour shift for 2nd job. Absolutely shattered but it will be worth it once I get paid.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1239.95 (46.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £748.10 (6.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 0/60
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 1/6 Groceries target £70.25/£200. NSD target 6/15.
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 9th Oct 17, 11:37 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    bizzie
    Posting to check in for 9/31.
    Spending on grocery top up, craft activities and some bits for dd birthday party. Will update signature later.
    Trying to catch up on household admin but as soon as one item off the list replaced by another.
    Groceries 211.63/400 Personal Spends ....../100
    NST December #29 NSD 7/15 @ 13/12/17
    Goals for 2017: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 9th Oct 17, 11:56 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 24,394 Thanks
    sashanut
    Hi all

NSD today so 6/15

Organise: Bit under the weather today so didn't get as much done as I'd like. Took a fair bit of stuff from dining room down to cellar, cleared a lot of bags from dining room too. Depressing as it revealed more of the horrible mess on the carpet - which is the reason for clearing it - carpet will have to be replaced sadly. DH did remove lots of cardboard from large shed & put into bins, also took some glass down to the recycling - a first!

Lunch HM & from stores, soup made from elderly butternut squash, even older sweet potatoes, onion & ginger. Had with cheese toastie . Same lunch today

Supper was HM burgers but sadly had to use frozen chips.

Food budget: £137.44 /250 no more spends

Be kind: Tried to be kind to DD when she kept messaging me she'd been up all night coughing, had 2 hours sleep, then forgot her purse & had no medication with her at all. Or petrol in her car. DH had to meet her at garage down the road, get petrol & pay for it. She then came here, showered, washed her hair, had her tea, took all the medicine we had & soup for tomorrows lunch...thank goodness she didn't stay so no getting up @ 5am for us....

One more time: Yep on SW again apart from the few chips

Extra Income: Some interest on 3 items on ebay. Sadly did not manage to get any more done.

Christmas: Cast on sock no 2

Exercise: Up & down cellar steps x loads also in garden. Pulled up a lot of brambles etc, 2 loads of stuff on compost heap.

Heating: still off

Grateful for: More progress on clearing, did get some time in garden, not having to get up @ 5.00 with DD - email from friend who will visit Thursday, will be good to see him

Mothernerd You are right we could survive a siege I think with the stuff we have in. Our favourite phrase ATM is 'It'll see me out' .....
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • Scrimps
    • By Scrimps 10th Oct 17, 6:05 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    Scrimps
    -Organise: all ongoing with the decorating still. It sounds like we're doing a lot/Im living in a palace with how long its taking but I have to do a bit, rest, do a bit more, rest etc etc so its taking a long time! Also have to do a bit - wait for plaster/paste/paint to dry properly before doing more.

-Regular: 142/200 DH went to the supermarket over the weekend to top up fruit and bread. This still should be plenty to last us the month. Everything is stocked up, itll just be perishables and anything DH needs.

-Get ready for winter: getting the rooms decorated to be warm and cosy for winter.. Im keeping my eye out for curtains on gumtree or in the charity shop for the babys bedroom also.

-Always be kind: I am struggling with this a bit, think its a sign Im just struggling in general which is making me a bit unnecessarily negative and irritable

NSD: As at last night - 3/20. I ended up having to go and buy some screws on sunday and DH went to supermarket. Didnt spend anything yesterday but the electrician will be round this morning and will need paying.

Stoptober: stuck to this

Exercise: Im keeping active with the decorating but havent done any structured exercise - yoga tonight.

Banned: stuck to this

Extra Income. Missed any onepoll surveys yesterday. I will be looking to sell some items on ebay etc in the second half of the month- after decorating is finished.

Report in daily. I missed the last 2 days but will get back on it as it is helping to keep me focused.

Hope you all have a good day
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 10th Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 8,624 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    Morning all

I have not done well at any aspect of the challenge cannot stop buying junk food everyday which as well as wasting money means I don't want to exercise. However today is a new day!!

Today will be a NSD. Working at home so going to redo my budget in a minute as can start a little later. At lunchtime I am going to harvest a load of raspberries and cut a few canes back. I forgot to buy frozen berries for smoothies and I have loads out there. Very randomly about two of my strawberry plants have had new fruit growing on them!
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 10th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Extra Income: £9 put on my L0v3 2 Sh0p card for postal survey. Can't complain, I mean, I have nearly earnt £1 a day this month
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 10th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 2,185 Posts
    • 22,355 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Day Ten Inspiration
    I am and always will be the OPTIMIST
    the HOPER of far flung HOPES and
    DREAMER of improbable DREAMS
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 10th Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    Calling14
    Apologies again I really going to buck my ideas up and post more. Have been trying to read more and stay off internet, waste so much time. Have been reading all your inspirational quotes Mothernerd.

Fmess glad to see you have joined the wrinkly group by spending too long in the bath.

SFd 4/20 includes today .

Food 14.62/100

Exercise Fitbit new strap arrived so happy lost without it. Did 10k yesterday even though felt awful, cold and sore throat time. Will do big walk after work as weather forecast tomorrow is dire.

Extra income
    - still plodding along with surveys. Chased Quidco for money seem slower paying out these days.

Organise
    - Cleared garage, porch and hall last few days. So nice to be able to move in the garage and find things.

Be kind -
    had my listening head on last few nights, some problems within my family whereas an early night would have been awesome. Even listened to ex boyfriends rants about his last gf - I am really too nice

Get ready for winter - last months spends, heavy curtains, throws and candles. House so cosy large spider moved into my downstairs loo

Gave in to a glass of wine last night and a scone ashamed of myself. After big meal of liver, bacon and onions Trying to get my iron levels back up after blood donation.

Got a ready made curry for my tea, only rice needed to cook. Then booky wooky time.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW £990
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 £3310 /£4300 DFD 12/17
    E
    Fund #9 £100/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge £1567/2000 ends 29/12/17

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,013Posts Today

7,394Users online

Martin's Twitter