Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,181Posts
    • 22,315Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER 28th Sep 17 at 9:46 PM
    Ninja Savings Turtles ORGANISE OCTOBER

Several people have indicted that circumstances dictate the continuation of September's Super Scrimpers regime and the tough line instituted by Ninja Savings Kat in her challenges (see NSK).

Austerity October? Austerity with a twist because although the turtle way is difficult we always aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

The Truth is out There
    Question Everything
    Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

ALWAYS Be Kind

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Special exemption for the turtle who's family drink milk by the bucketload. Any requests for special exemptions will be considered (some turtles manage their money in other ways)

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    But let us think about cutting back.
    You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity.

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts particularly for grand-parents and teachers. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family memebrs or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

THE Challenge will run from 00.00 on 1st October until 00.00 on 31st October.

ODD - This month's inspiration is going to be slightly off the wall. Looking forward to how many of you can follow where others boldly go

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Last edited by mothernerd; 29-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 5/15 Food £34/£100 Travel £4.30/£50 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£60 Xmas £24.75/£60 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 387/2017
Page 16
    • fruitloop04
    • By fruitloop04 8th Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    fruitloop04
    I am not doing well with keeping up with this!!

Sorry I have not had chance to read everyone's replies but hopefully will tomorrow night after work

My totals are so far:
    NSD: 5/20
    Food: £133.54/£280
    Personal: £44.93/£100
    Alcohol Free Days: 5
    Exercise: Managed to exercises 4 times this week
    16.08.2017 CC 1 - £2050 £1,500 CC 2 - £1766.82 £1406 Emergency savings: £1250/£6000
    Mortgage - April 2017 £153,000 £149,954
    Debt free by xmas: 1070.86/1500
    (Non Mortgage) Debt Free Date: August 2018
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 8th Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi Dizzy

Well there's lots of lovely free things around here. Halloween (I know everyone does halloween) my estate really makes an effort for the kids. Id guess 90 percent of houses are decorated, we get 100s of kids. Bonfire we have an amazing display and then ive booked a light show in York , we are going with another family, I got them tickets as a wedding gift. I have booked tickets on the santa express ( courtesy of Grandma ) and then ive picked out a few special English heritage events. My downfall is days out. I can do without physical things but i do love an outing xx
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 8th Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    bizzie
    Checking in 8/31
    Bank balance checked and bills up to date. Will update figures in signature.
    NSDs now 5/15.
    Lazy Sunday before a busy week.
    Groceries 168.48/400 Personal Spends ....../100
    NST December #29 NSD 5/15 @ 10/12/17
    Goals for 2017: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 8th Oct 17, 11:49 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 24,390 Thanks
    sashanut
    Hi all

NSD today so 5/15

Organise: Down cellar, paint now dry. Put other set of shelves up & filled most of them whilst making an inventory....there is so much stuff!! Looking at the dates I must have repeatedly been unable to find/forgotten I had/couldn't be bothered to go down the cellar - a fair few times so I kept re-buying. BTW upstairs I also have a pantry AND a larder...hangs head in shame

Started to clear further corner & unearthed more damp stuff that needed to go. Another 4 bags/rubble sacks

Lunch HM & from stores, soup made from elderly butternut squash, even older sweet potatoes, onion & ginger. Had with cheese toastie . Lovely & plenty left.

Supper was HM chilli, this time with pasta not rice...

Food budget: £137.44 /250 no more spends

Be kind: Gritted teeth & thanked DH for loading dishwasher. Only had to re-wash a couple of items though. Think I was kind, try to remember this & bite tongue. Then found he hadn't cleaned the bath - after using a Lush bath bomb - complained but only to self!

One more time: Yep on SW again

Extra Income: Actually managed to list 3 items on ebay. Will try to do more tomorrow.

Christmas: Finished sock no 1, now for its' mate.

Exercise: Up & down cellar steps x loads also in garden.

Heating: still off

Grateful for: More progress on clearing actually took down some tins from dining room table to cellar, lovely day & did get some time in garden, not having to get up @ 5.30 with DD - and last but not least - heated duvet!!

Mothernerd I do hope you get some sleep tonight. I cannot function if I don't get enough sleep..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 9th Oct 17, 6:15 AM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 24,319 Thanks
    Fmess
    Thank you mothernerd, apple and ilovetea. It's such a revelation having an upstairs bathroom and a bath!

Spendy day yesterday as I took my grandad and sisters out for lunch and then was out for tea with friends. My Grandad's sister unexpectedly passed away on Saturday night so it was important to keep him busy yesterday, even though the trip to see him was planned before it happened.

Yesterday was a long day but I got my marking and admin done, the dogs walked, drove a lot, ate out twice, got the new bathroom cleaned of the workmen's dust, changed the bed sheets and did some washing, so was feeling pretty pleased with myself.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 0/15 Food 65.06/120 Personal 91.34/350 Petrol 40.01/80
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Oct 17, 7:13 AM
    • 9,287 Posts
    • 45,057 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Thanks Mothernerd, I think I will just take a couple of items for now, and aim to do them, and see how I manage the change.Being grateful and mindful I practice most of the time, but noticed that I have not been on the case this last fortnight since my Mum took ill. So I will practice that, stop buying Lunches next door and making my own while I do the school pack up.
    I did a Shop in Aldi yesterday so will aim for the 15 No spend days for the rest of the month.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Purplebonnie
    • By Purplebonnie 9th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    Purplebonnie
    Organise October

Organise/Declutter – found a bag of cauliflower from the freezer and added it to homegrown garlic, squash, sage and onions to make soup for lunch (it made enough soup to feed the forty thousand!)
    Veggie stew with the biggest dumpling for dinner – very tasty and plenty of leftovers.

Regular – spent zero

Get Ready – I cleared and covered some of my raised beds at the allotment, putting them to bed for winter. I will plant some garlic next week and I already have purple sprouting broccoli, white sprouting broccoli, kale, leeks and spring cabbage happily growing for harvesting next year.

Improvise : Use an old wall hanging as a curtain for the back door. It is on a pole, so just need two hooks done

Stoptober : Peeked at eBay, but didn’t spend!

Exercise : Walk the dog for at least 20 mins per day. Also do back & neck exercises - Done

One More Time : Stuck to SW plan

Christmas :
    Extra Income : None

Food Budget : £200 /£48.18
    SFD : 15 / 5
    Stoptober : No spending on eBay 31/8
    October Goal : Lose 8lbs /
    Extra Income : £100 /£56.06
    September 2017 Total Debt £37188.89 / DFD 01/05/22
    October 2017 Debt £36149.48 / DFD 01/04/22
    Extra Payments : 0.1% = £37.19 Total paid 0.3%
    MBNA - £5350.73

October Food Budget : £200/£114.94 Extra Income £100 /£81.06
    SFD : 8/31 Weight Loss (Goal 8lbs) :
    • misstara
    • By misstara 9th Oct 17, 7:30 AM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 17,324 Thanks
    misstara
    Didn't get a chance to post yesterday so here we go.

Organise - OH chopped up some very ripe fruit and we had that and yoghurt for pudding. I'm taking leftover coq au vin to work today.

Budget - £59.85/£150 food, £15/£20 social

NSDs - 6/20

Be kind - really struggling with this . I'm getting toothache a lot from one dodgy tooth and the pain is making me grumpy. Poor OH is bearing the brunt of it.

Exercise - had planned a run yesterday but in the end didn't bother. Met my target of 15,000 steps

Extra income - an hours overtime at work
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1239.95 (46.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £748.10 (6.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 0/60
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 1/6 Groceries target £38.05/£200. NSD target 5/15.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 9th Oct 17, 8:00 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Just checking in

NSD #7 - I need to go to the pharmacy for a prescription but other than that I won't spend a bean. Tomorrow will be a spend day as I need to go to Aldi.away this weekend but hoping for at least 10 by end of the week!

Yesterday I had a good look at our savings jars and reshuffled them slightly. Set up another help 2 buy ISA in hubs name as I think we can afford to put slightly more away than we do wont be easy but Im up for the challenge. Xmas and our weekend away now all saved up for. Remember struggling with Christmas before becoming a money saver and a planner and I feel pretty proud of ourselves I think sometimes its easy tp think you're not getting anywhere sometimes. Loving this thread for keeping me motivated

Been pretty good at sticking to SW this week- walked plenty. Been feeling a little run down so need lots of goodness in me & plenty of water.

Greatful today for morning cuddles with my boy , that hub might be home next week for lovely crisp weather & for a happy home
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 9th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Hi all,

Sorry have been MIA for the last few days but have finally moved house and am shattered / only had internet on my phone. Still working my way round boxes as was away on Saturday at sports tournament and back in old house yesterday cleaning. Keen to get as much of my deposit back as possible so wanted place in best possible shape. Sorry to leave it as was there for few years but time to try living on my own.

Yesterday was NSD but planned spends on Friday and Saturday. Now all I need to do is find someone to help me hang my curtains (window height ceilings, so the idea of balancing on a ladder and using a drill without help is terrifying!!) and get my gas connected as its been shut off in new place. The revelation that is pasta without using the hob was a lifesaver yesterday, think it was here I saw it so thank you!!

Have to read back through the thread as no doubt have missed loads. Will get back to checking in more frequently now that life is getting back to normal.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 9th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 469 Posts
    • 4,293 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    I have just about recovered from the weekend. I had a fabulous time, drank way too much, felt terrible on Sunday and only spent £40 on drinks/food for both days. Main activities and hotel room had already been paid for but I don't think £40 is that bad at all.

I have booked today off work which is needed. Quite sore and achy from the dancing. Had tummy troubles yesterday and spent most f the evening asleep. Feel better today (don't feel ill) but not as refreshed as I would like.

Not sure if today will be a NSD - probably not as I need to get bread for lunches for rest of the week. Hoping it will be a suitably small spend though. I might also buy some Epsom salts and have a hot bath later. That might help the achy bones.

So, still on 3 NSD. I'd like to have at least 4 NSD this week and get that number up. Also need to get on top of the housework too so a fairly busy day to be had today I reckon.

I've failed at stop-tober- might have had a couple of cigarettes on the hen do. Oops.
    December grocery challenge £129.31/£250 | December NSD 2/15
    Credit Card 1: £145 (0%) | Credit Card 2: £2,256.06 (0%) | Credit Card 3: £787.60 (0%) Car Finance: £8,053 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,363 (3.99% APR)
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 9th Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 22,315 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Day Nine Inspiration
    Life always offers a second chance - it's called tomorrow.
    NST Dec #4 SFD 5/15 Food £34/£100 Travel £4.30/£50 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£60 Xmas £24.75/£60 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 387/2017
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 9th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 22,315 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Kerry Woman relaxing and catching up are good.

determined new ms does the knitting help with the anxiety? Might not be 'me time' but you are taking steps to safeguard your wellbeing.

greent hope DD recovers quickly.

apple have fun on your trip.

moneysavingfamilycomp at least you know you are using things to the end of their natural life.

ilovetea lucky dip meals, what fun.

DawnW you did the right thing by making other necessary purchases on a spendy day. If it helps I would allocate a portion of the meat spend to next month's budget, as that is when it will be used. I also use this for odd items from shops I rarely visit - will buy 6 months or a year's worth then I don't have to keep making return visits for one item.

dizzyblnd I love apple crumble, mine's low sugar and oats in the crumble.

fruitloop04 Don't panic, some turtle tactics are harder to pick up and take a while. Alcohol free days and exercise looking good.

laurenh1 sounds like a good place to live with children.

bizzie lazy Sunday sounds fab.

sashanut good progress on the cellar. Sounds like you could 'live from the cupboards' for a while. Hope you can keep on top of it better from now on.

Fmess family time and so much achieved.

Mooloo
    I won't give you a number but feel free to post on progress or if you need support or advice.

Purplebonnie lovely hunger gap planting.

misstara toothache is dreadful.

Chasing Sunshine Happy new house.

Lauralozzle have a nice relaxing day. You haven't failed Stoptober - get back on track right NOW.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 9th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 9,617 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Yesterday was not a good day. Both laptops decided to break down. One whilst I was paying for a holiday next year which prompted a text from the bank warning of fraudulent activity and suspending account. 30 minute phone call to an Indian call centre eventually convenced them that I was me but I'll now have to phone the holiday company with the payment details.
    Two bulbs in sitting room went within 10 minutes of one another. Replaced one but the other has broken in the lamp. Will have to get the pliers out.

ORGANIZE: On the plus side all meals including Sunday lunch came from the freezer and I made soup for the boy's lunch

GET READY FOR WINTER: Still to do everything below.

Check medicine cupboard
    Arrange flu jab
    Check there are enough candles and matches and that the torches are working
    Look out winter hat, scarf, gloves and boots
    Look out tracks for covering shoes for walking in icy weather
    Council are responsible for gritting path and lane but might buy some salt anyway.
    ALWAYS BE KIND: Failed. Shouted at C when he started asking questions about the failed technology (he has no practical skills and refuses to learn how to use anything that involves technology). I'll make it up to him today

NSD: 0/12. Needed some milk etc.

IMPROVISE: Always try to do this. I have a partner who can’t stand waste.

STOPTOBER: Didn't eat any rubbish but did resort to a G & T to relieve stress.

EXERCISE: Walked to shops and back. About an hour in total

ONE MORE TIME: See Stoptober. Did weigh myself but less said about that the better.

CHRISTMAS: Some ideas but nothing done yet

EXTRA INCOME: Couldn't do anything due to technology failure.

As you say, Mothernerd, tomorrow is another day.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 9th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 22,315 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Have just phoned mum to tell her I will be there as soon as I can.

Not a lot of sleep (what I had was good) and struggling a bit - hate going into a new week feeling like this. Hot bath helped and am easing into the day.

Not done everything I wanted to but have looked at the list (full of huge/ never ending/ undefined tasks) and have made progress on Washing (6 or 7 loads now), my bedroom, Christmas and Halloween crafting (prep for crafts + getting some of the stuff out of here) and more or less managed to keep up with you lot. Not much done on cooking (but kitchen is a lot tidier - so 'prep for cooking' and I have lots of clean pans - just hope Beloved doesn't use them all again before I get home tonight). Some important things not yet done, but more space to do them in and will be much easier to find phone numbers/ paperwork etc.

I found about £50 during tidying (the heap on the bedside table which avalanched off on Friday having reached crisis point) had a few extra socks (single but now reunited) under the 'important bits of paper' and scattering of pills. Underneath all the clutter was a bag of money - must have emptied my purse of all the change at one point. lots of £1 coins so came to about £34. Found an odd fiver and bits in odd corners (swept under drawers, the bit between the bedside drawers and the bed etc and found coins in with the buttons, curtain hooks, cut out bits of paper, some forks ans spoons etc.

A productive weekend especially as I have been tired and lacking any real inclination to do any of it - just plodding and telling myself I could still wash pots even if I was falling asleep.

Right positive head on - also found a recipt that said I had 600+ b**ts points so may treat myself. later turtles.
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 9th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 2,975 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Love todays inspiration mothernerd, just what I needed to see.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2179.17 2419.64 0% CC:1010.98 1063.48 Total: 4970.64 5690.50 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • greent
    • By greent 9th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 6,504 Posts
    • 65,597 Thanks
    greent
    Day 9
    Organise/ Cook from Scratch/ Use things up - Breakfasts - cereals or toast (hm bread), Packed lunches for boys, hm rolls for OH & myself. Dinner will be something from freezer - possibly hm chilli or bolog

Pay debts/ savings - £5 transferred to BTL mtge. £10 transferred to kitchen fund

Budgets
    * Food - 113.04/ 325 (stretch 290)
    * Fuel 60/60
    * Clothes 15/75
    * Gifts 31/150 -
    * Toiletries 0/10
    * Social 70.50/200 (stretch 150)

NSD - 6/12 Cannot see any reason why tonight will incur a spend - most of it will be spent playing mum taxi!

Improvise -

Exercise
    * Week 1 - 3/4
    * Week 2 - 1/4

Jan Goals - "By the end of the year I want to have halved the (non mtge) debt we have and have lost 20lbs - and also get fitter along the way"
    Debt at start of year more than halved.
    Weight/ fitness = Finally weighed myself (thanks, apple, for the nudge! ) - am -2lb from start of year, which means I have put back on some of weight previously lost. But not all!

Extra income -none today

Christmas -

Get Ready Checklist
    1 - Health - vitamins taken today so still 6/31
    4 - Maintenance - need to contact plasterer & electrician by 10/10. (Have mentioned it to electrician's wife - mum at school - but need to do it properly) Have messaged plasterer (03/10) - no reply as yet and I phoned plumber (03/10)- no longer trading so now need to find a plumber....
    Kitchen co contacted today. Will message plasterer in a bit. Have a suggestion yesterday of a plumbing co.

Gratitudes:
    * dry weather
    * line dried washing
    * 30 mins snooze after school run this morning
    * having (more than) enough

Apple - hope today wasn't *too* exhausting.....! xx
    Last edited by greent; 10-10-2017 at 8:02 AM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 9th Oct 17, 3:07 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 4,293 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Thanks mothernerd. I'm back on it for stoptober right now.

Today has been spendy. Went out to get some more kitchen roll, kindling, 2 packs of Epsom salts and I might have treated myself to a new candle. It was only £2 from Home Bargains and smells of gingerbread. I get all excited over anything remotely Christmas-like.

I've got some sandwich stuff for the week, fruit and some bottled juices (might perk me up a bit) and I also got some frozen bits for days when can't be bothered (pizza and stuff). That should mean we avoid the lure of takeaway for the rest of the month.

I then went to the butchers to get some more chicken breasts as we only had two. Got ten chicken breasts and 24 sausages (lean slimming world friendly) for £20. Thinking sausage, mashed potatoes and veg for dinner with a Yorkshire pudding from the freezer and gravy.

I've cleaned the kitchen, put last loan of dirty dishes in dishwasher, tidied living room and dining room, sorted out my hen do bag (put dirty clothes in wash etc).

I now plan on doing very little! At least until dinner. I grabbed a sausage roll at the butchers so that was breakfast/lunch. To be honest, I'm not particularly hungry as my stomach feels a bit sore still.
    December grocery challenge £129.31/£250 | December NSD 2/15
    Credit Card 1: £145 (0%) | Credit Card 2: £2,256.06 (0%) | Credit Card 3: £787.60 (0%) Car Finance: £8,053 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,363 (3.99% APR)
    • moneysavingfamilycomp
    • By moneysavingfamilycomp 9th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 1,821 Thanks
    moneysavingfamilycomp
    a bit of a nothing day today as I have no motivation to do anything.
    did walk the kids to school so thats 1/5 this week. had doctors appointment rearranged as doctor was ill supposed to be 9:30 but changed to 11:50 so I think that made me think not enough time to do much either side. a couple of loads of washing done and put on line including bedding and i'v dug out the flanelette sheet for our bed as its been chilly last couple of nights. heating still off. NSD so that was a bonus. must get stuff done tomorrow

NSD 5/15
    winter prep: snuggly flanelette sheet
    i find a cup of tea can solve most problems
    but alcohol solves them all
    first blue baby moneysaver 09/05/1993
    pink baby moneysaver born 30/07/2011
    blue baby moneysaver born 28/09/2012
    debt to pay : cc 1217.10 holiday : 607.42
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 6,604 Posts
    • 38,085 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi guys everyone is doing so well!

mothernerd, not a lot was helping yesterday. I've been suffering with anxiety the last few weeks and then yesterday I had worries about my ds who has just split up with his gf....

today I managed a SFD 4/15

made a huge batch of barley, lentil & chard soup to use up chard picked a couple of days ago. It's blooming lovely as well! Will freeze 3 portions later on

Did 45 mins of walking & did an hours digging at the lottie

have worked out at the mid-way point I've only used 1/3 of my personal spends

That's all
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

1,114Users online

Martin's Twitter